Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,768,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I had never heard the word until a couple of years ago (which is why I say we don't really use it in this area--because we all know I am SUCH a bon vivant I would of course know all the lingo, right? LOL).
My Portland friend suggested this website as a (derogatory) way to get a feel for what people mean when they say "Hipsters", which includes this video (satirical). Actually, I most often hear it used in a derogatory sense, which made it a little puzzling when the OP self-described as one.

So the answer is, I'm not 100% sure what is meant by the term, but I have a vague "know it when I see it" notion.
Good post. You beat me to it. Crunchy is a long way from hipster. I see Carborro / CH as more crunchy. And I agree, I really haven't encountered hipsters here either. (Thank goodness!!)

In terms of art and walkable neighborhoods, Central Durham is a good spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 PM

542 posts, read 1,526,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesw View Post
bynum area in chatham county may be what you are looking for. check it out.
I believe that Bynum would be the exact opposite of what this person is looking for. Although it is a cool community, it is in the middle of nowhere and living there necissitates having a car.

Mike

Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 PM

809 posts, read 2,191,517 times
Hipsters. Haven't seen any around these parts. I think I was one of those back up north in the late 60's/early 70's. I was groovy. Man.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 PM

368 posts, read 997,567 times
My family and I lived in Carrboro briefly about five years ago and loved it. We were--shhhhh!--what is generally considered to be hipsters (now we are more like suburban geeks). Carrboro has plenty of hipsters (or, at least, did at the time we were there). It was a great place to live.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:48 PM

542 posts, read 1,526,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
Hipsters. Haven't seen any around these parts. I think I was one of those back up north in the late 60's/early 70's. I was groovy. Man.
Then you obviously haven't spent much time in downtown Raleigh. Wanna see hipsters? Visit the Raleigh Times, the Landmark, or the Jackpot most any night of the week and you will see plenty.

Mike

Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 PM

809 posts, read 2,191,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Then you obviously haven't spent much time in downtown Raleigh. Wanna see hipsters? Visit the Raleigh Times, the Landmark, or the Jackpot most any night of the week and you will see plenty.

Mike
That would be about as close as the OP would get to "hipsters".

Old 02-06-2010, 02:36 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,626,332 times
OK, forget hipsters. We don't have them the way Williamsburg, Brooklyn has them. Meaning ours are nicer and more into nature.

Carrboro for ultra-crunchy, Durham (downtown or 9th street area) for hipsteresque, Chapel Hill for student more wealthy, and downtown Raleigh for as close to true hipster as you can get. Carrboro may fit the bill for you as they have one of the best green markets I've seen. I think in general it helps to have a car here though.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:01 PM

920 posts, read 2,816,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

What I really, really don't get is Pabst Blue Ribbon... was this just because it's blue collar?
Yep, you got it. It's supposed to be ironic.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:03 PM

920 posts, read 2,816,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Good post. You beat me to it. Crunchy is a long way from hipster. I see Carborro / CH as more crunchy. And I agree, I really haven't encountered hipsters here either. (Thank goodness!!)

In terms of art and walkable neighborhoods, Central Durham is a good spot.
I've seen them around Glenwood South, and especially at that little cupcake shop.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,323,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I've seen them around Glenwood South, and especially at that little cupcake shop.
I'm in helios in DT Raleigh right now and I think I just spotted a few here too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary