Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,107,301 times

Advertisements

I keep reading how Raleigh and other Triangle cities are "slow paced."

What does that mean to you? I'm not sure. I grew up in western NY, and the pace is the same.

I know we're not NYC, but what else defines "slow paced"?

Is it traffic?

As far as everyday life, it seems everyone thinks their lives are fast-paced because no one ever has enough time to get everything done.

What else, in your opinion, defines that term as it relates to the Triangle?

(Whoops! I meant "Triangle," not "Triangel." Long day. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,615,068 times
The only difference I've noticed is that in the NY/NJ area, if people don't move immediately when the light turns green, those behind them immediately honk their horns...here that doesn't happen that fast (it's the only time I honk my horn anymore unless someone's about to smash into me, but I've retrained myself to wait a bit).

Old 02-05-2010, 05:26 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,997,220 times
People here are more likely to stop what they are doing and have a chat. This is great when you are strolling through the neighborhood...not so hot when you are waiting in the grocery checkout line!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:31 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,306,208 times
It's all relative.

Where did you move here from? Rural upstate NY or fast paced LA?

Where do you live in the Triangle? In the middle of the suburbs of North Raleigh or out in the Country of Rurla Orange and Durham County?

I know people who live in Manhattan who choose a lifestyle that is slow paced and laid back. I know people in the Triangle that cram their day full of so many activities they are ready to have a nervous breakdown.

Which one are you? There's your answer.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:41 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,090,252 times
We went from LI to WNY to here.

From LI to WNY we noticed a slight difference, but from WNY to the triangle it was more significant.

The differences I've noticed in our own everyday lives are that people generally are not in a hurry to get anywhere.

When we're at the kids practices, families linger much longer to hang around a chit chat. It also seems like people down here make time to do leisure activities and make time for family.

Not to say that the other areas we lived in didn't do that...but not to this extent.

I think because the weather is nicer also, it just seems more inviting down here and people stop and smell the roses and make more outdoor time.

It's hard to put my finger on it, but when we moved here for the first 2 yrs or so it felt like we were on a perpetual vacation. It's not quite as noticable anymore, untill we take an exteded visit to NY and then return. It's just more relaxing down here.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,958,095 times
I've never thought the term "slower paced" referred to relative speed (or behavior at traffic lights). Rather, I think it describes the way in which people relate to one another and the time they take to acknowledge other people.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 AM

997 posts, read 4,647,794 times
For us it was a lot of different things combined that made things slower. Of course no traffic. People would actually give you the time of day and speak to you even if you didn't know them. People were also working much longer hours. I remember when we were in the process of moving from Boston my husband was setting up the insurance and the agent called back. I told him my husband was traveling and he would call him tomorrow. He said sorry. It's my anniversary I'm not working tomorrow. I was blown away.

Parents were overly protective. Playdates had to be setup at any age. Parents were too involved to the point that it was sick. Kids couldn't work out their problems. The parents had to for them. Neighbors were always in your business.

Everyone was just uptight in every way. They just couldn't let loose.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,479,750 times
"The Triangle" isn't really the south any more. Go to places like backwoods NC and SC and you will see the slower pace of life in person.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,847,104 times
Definitely a relative thing. "Slower-paced" than where? If you come from Chicago, NY metro, or even Atlanta, I'm sure it is. If you move up from Harnett county, I'm sure you feel like you've stepped into a beehive. I remember someone from Goldsboro talking about how she never comes to Raleigh because it's so fast-paced and busy--and that was 20 years ago!

It's more a rural/urban thing than North/South, but as the Triangle becomes more "urban", and as more "urbanites" move here, the discrepancy between different "lifestyle paces" can cause friction.

The main thing is that if one moves here specifically for a "slower-paced" lifestyle, then one must learn to be patient when things don't go as quickly as one is accustomed to. In some cases, this area isn't right for everyone--either because it's too "slow" or because it's too "fast".

Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I've never thought the term "slower paced" referred to relative speed (or behavior at traffic lights). Rather, I think it describes the way in which people relate to one another and the time they take to acknowledge other people.
I agree with this. I don't live in the Triangle, but I've visited my sister. When you step up to a counter to place an order at a restaurant you get "hello, ma'am, how can I help you?" Here in NY you get the gang-banger stare. Half the time you don't even know if the person speaks the language well enough to help you.

At the grocery stores you get your groceries bagged - here in NY you are lucky if the cashier will do it after you've completed your transaction - and if you DO wait for the cashier to do it, your stuff will be crushed and you'll endure nasty looks from people behind you because you are holding up the line.

And so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary