Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
I've tried Old Chicago and coming from the city it's nothing like what I grew up with. Now if you're looking for Chicago style hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches here I can steer you in the right direction...
So where's the Chicago beef around here!? Everytime I go to Chicago... I have to stop at Portillo's daily!! I'm dying to find some good food down here in NC.. Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:47 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,266 times
Misskatie, the sad truth is that if you want real Chicago Italian beef, you need to head west on I40 then turn right at Nashville. I too miss Portillos, I even dream about it sometimes. Its been 20yrs....

Old 02-11-2010, 04:47 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I don't think we can get it here - I recently had Al's ship some, though, and it was fantastic

Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
Order them and make them yourself at home. I looooooove Portillo's.

Portillos

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-11-2010 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: Corrected link

Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Do they grow cows differently in Chicago than they do here?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Could you enlighten us and tell us what it is?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:22 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Hee - it's not the actual beef, it's how the sandwich is made. It can be done here but nobody has yet. Here's a good link:

The Proper Way To Order an Italian Beef - ItalianBeef.com

Old 02-12-2010, 07:21 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Chicago-Style Italian Beef is one of the best sandwiches In the World. Basically, the beef is slow roasted in the oven and then the juices and vegetables it was roasted with, usually an assortment of celery, onions, garlic, carrots, peppers (both sweet and/or hot), and maybe some colliflower. The juices and vegetables are then made into a relish with some vinegar and oil.

The sandwich is made by dipping the beef in the roasting juices (call it gravy, Au Jus, or whatever), then placed on the bread and topped with the relish. Most people have their sandwich dipped in the gravy (IMHO, the best way to eat it), but some don't. Also, some add cheese, but I don't like mine with cheese.

So, it's not that the cows are grown differently, but the way that the sandwich is prepared.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Interesting, sounds yummy! The cooking method is about the same as I do for oven braised beef & vegs. I never thought of putting this on bread...those clever Italian Americans

Old 05-28-2010, 08:53 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
Hungry's in Clayton is the place to go! Hungry's of Clayton (http://hungrysofclayton.com/default.aspx - broken link) The owner, "J" is from the city and grew up in the business. She roasts the beef on the premises & it's great as well as the other Chicago style food. It's worth the drive if you want the real deal.

There also a Chicago style pizza place just opened in Morrisville and they have beef sandwiches too!
http://www.rosatispizza.com/locations/menu/index.asp?location_id=72

I've seen some frozen Chicago style beef at the Super Target also.

For other Chicago style food (Vienna beef hot dogs) hit Cloo's Coney Island in Raleigh. Danny makes them perfectly.

Also Penalty Box Dogs has a Vienna hot dog cart in Raleigh and their Facebook page said they're looking for a location in Durham too. http://www.penaltyboxdogs.com/www.pe...m/Welcome.html

Also, Aldi's (yes, Aldi's) will have Vienna beef hot dogs briefly on June 2nd under the name "Parkview." They had some last year around the 4th of July & I stocked up.

Can you tell I'm from Chicago?!

Last edited by hula; 05-28-2010 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary