Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:49 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
That brine they put down is the absolute worst thing in the world to ruin your roads. That's why they don't use that stuff "up north" - you should only salt/sand once the snow comes down and the plows have been out. I've been awaiting the first pothole post for weeks from you guys
I don't know anything about the value or effects of salt, sand, brine, etc., however, we have always had issues with new potholes showing up after bad weather. This was no different before they started brining the roads here.

I've found DOT to be very responsive to request to fill potholes. In the past I've reported some really bad ones and within the wk they were filling them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 02:34 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times
I guess all the whining worked. DOT to resurface Glenwood Avenue :: WRAL.com

Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
I happened to be at the DOT office today picking up our road clean-up items and when we asked the nice gal helping us 'who we report potholes to?' and she said, "I am". We live off of New Light at the Highway 98 (between Purnell and Woodlief) and it's as if some hungry gigantic alien came through and just started chomping up the road. Apparently the roads are "rated" as far as how bad the condition is and she knew of New Light and politely informed us that there were much worse roads than ours so we're not holding out high hopes for any immediate action.
I do a lot of cycling so we really get a birdseye view of just how bad it is; if you see us swerving into the middle of the lane that is usually the reason as we're not intentionally trying to be rude.
Just thought I would mention this little update..

Old 02-15-2010, 03:54 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Glennwood Ave (ITB) is still MESSED up with lots of potholes and has been for a few weeks. Just drove on it yesterday and had to dodge them.
I drove on Glenwood today. It was absolutely horrible. I couldn't even dodge all the potholes. I know that repair funds are limited, but Raleigh should be ashamed at the condition it's in.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:23 PM

98 posts, read 131,565 times
The people coming at me all looked shocked when I am swerving back and forth trying to avoid the potholes. They must think I am drunk.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:37 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times
Our neighborhood in Clayton is terrible with the ones that have popped up in the last few weeks...not sure who would take care of that since the Johnston/Wake County line splits the neighborhood in two...

Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
DOT to resurface Glenwood Avenue :: WRAL.com

Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 AM

56 posts, read 197,982 times
I believe the pot holes have more to do with the freezing of water than with salt/sand/brine. Water from the snow gets in cracks in the road, freezes, expands, and loosens the pavement.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I guess all the whining worked. DOT to resurface Glenwood Avenue :: WRAL.com
whining may work in Raleigh, but it seems that the Town of Cary don't give a damm to public concerns over potholes on Green Level Church Road in West Cary. Looking at the TV news from Haiti the other evening the roads were in better condition there after the earthquake than the stretch of Green Level between the Greystone Swim Pool and Green Hope School Road. It seems that unless a developer pays for road improvements nothing will happen in Cary
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ary-worst.html

Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
[quote=SALUKI_LOVER;12911699]I happened to be at the DOT office today picking up our road clean-up items and when we asked the nice gal helping us 'who we report potholes to?' and she said, "I am". We live off of New Light at the Highway 98 (between Purnell and Woodlief) and it's as if some hungry gigantic alien came through and just started chomping up the road. Apparently the roads are "rated" as far as how bad the condition is and she knew of New Light and politely informed us that there were much worse roads than ours so we're not holding out high hopes for any immediate action.

Well guess who was on New Light today??? Yes, the DOT crew repairing our road...thank you DOT! Coincidence??? I think not (but probably so)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary