Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM

16 posts, read 28,367 times

Advertisements

I am a NY certified teacher (B- Grade 9) with 6 years of experience and autism training looking to relocate to NC. I am currently in the certification process for NC. What does the job prospect look like for this September for Special Education Teachers? Do I have a big chance in getting a position or does the odds look slim? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 06:15 AM

23 posts, read 56,261 times
Special Education teachers are in demand everywhere, including North Carolina. I am also a teacher from NY (6 years) and it took me quite a while to find a job because there was a hiring freeze last year, the economy, etc. However, it is possible and with a background in special education you are ahead of the game. Just be sure to have a cushion of savings in case it takes 6-12 months. To me, it was totally worth it because I love it here. Make sure you fill out an online application https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/ and visit http://www.wcpss.net/employment.html (Wake County Public School's very helpful and informative official site). There is a job fair coming up in March and they list special education as an area of need. Be aware too, that you must submit a supplemental application for Wake County. All of the applications can be submitted before you obtain your license. Plus, also consider other counties like Durham, Johnston, Franklin, Lee, Harnett, Chatham etc. Each county (or at least most of them) has their own requirements too, which usually take the form of references, transcripts, and copies of your license/certification.

By the way, where in NY did you teach? Please be aware that you may take a pretty hefty pay cut by moving here. However, as I have mentioned, I felt it was worth it because my quality of life is better and real estate prices are certainly more reasonable. The weather is lovely and the people are nice and friendly. If you have children, the schools are quite good too. Good luck with your search, I think you will like it here.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 AM

16 posts, read 28,367 times
I taught Art part time in Lindenhurst for a few years, I worked for a year teaching Art in a private school (very low pay), last year I worked at Southampton Intermediate as a full year replacement and currently I am a TA at Tuckahoe making $28,000. So anything above this years pay will be great!! I know I will be making a little over half of what I could make in NY, but in NY there are absolutely no jobs and this year it is already said that Long Island in total will be excessing over 2,000 teachers. Enrollment is continuing to go down and the colleges are pumping out teachers like an assembly line. What I have seen regarding Raleigh is great and I am ready for a positive change.

I am looking to move down in August but I will not move until I sign a contract. In addition to the Special Education, I will soon have an Autism certificate (Called Annotation for Autism and Severe/Multiple Disabilities in NY). Any similiar certifications in NC? The NY certificate piggy backs with my Special Education certificate. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I have been researching this for about a month now, but I wasn't getting the big picture whether there were actual jobs or if NC was over saturated as Long Island with unemployed teachers.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:29 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
The job fair coming up is for Lateral Entry...I don't know what you do if you are already certified and have a masters degree. There is an email here you could ask. I called with a few questions and found them very helpful.

WCPSS: 2010 Lateral Entry Teacher Information Fair

Old 02-25-2010, 06:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
CHeck Cumberland County / Fayettville area schools as well. Many counties were paying nice bounses for SpEd teachers. Cumberland was around $3K and up to $7500 for 3 year commitment once it was fullfilled...

If you haven't been here, this is a good site to search---

https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/hrms/HRMSHome.Nsf/VacantPosition?openform (broken link)

also

http://www.teachers-teachers.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary