Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:38 PM

98 posts, read 131,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndyHolbrook View Post
Greetings,,,,,considering the move to the Garner area. Have family there and this year was the second time I have visited. To be honest it is growing on me. Can some of you please tell me about the weather. My relatives when asked say it's hot.But when pressed don't reveal much more.So really how hot and humid does it get there during the summer.. Also can a family find short term rental housing there......

Andy
I think the summers are perfect. They are what they are suppose to be. It is warm and somewhat humid. Enough to make you sweat if you are working in the sun, but not so bad that you would sweat sitting in the shade. I really enjoy the summers. There is a cool off at night, so that makes for a nice night sitting outside as long as you want. Some people will always reference a summer a few years ago that was way out of the norm, but normal summers are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 PM

122 posts, read 288,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Dude, wouldn't it be better to go to someplace like weather.com and find out what the actual numbers are, instead of asking a subjective question to a bunch of strangers on a web forum?
This comment is really snarky. Why are people on this board so snarky all the time? The OP was just asking a simple question.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:14 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,735,089 times
The summers here are brutal. If you like sleeping for five months out of the year with your ceiling fan on and a/c set on 72 degrees and still feeling hot at night, not able to breathe fresh air, then you may be okay.

No, the nights do not cool off. If you attempt to sit out at night, it is still hot and humid, and plus there are tons of bugs out there that will try to run into your house when you open the door, plus bite you.

It's not a good place in summer. No. From late May through early October and sometimes later, it's gross. Hot. Humid. Bugs. Mold. All icky stuff.
imho
best,
toodie

Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
I lived in the area for a year, and honestly I didn't think the heat was that bad. I like humidity, even though I grew up in a dry area. I started getting a little uncomfortable when the high reached 95, and I was surprised to hear so many long-time residents complaining about the heat when it was only about 88 or 90. Over time, I realized it's a way of making conversation :-)

If you enjoy humidity, you should be fine. The summer air in the Piedmont feels like a big warm hug to me.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsip View Post
Common during May-October for the temp to be 85 with 85% humidity. Hot, hazy and humid. Not much cooling at nights with lows around 75 with high humidity.
I know. Isn't it wonderful? We just couldn't believe how nice and cool the summers were here. The humidity is a little more than we were used to, but having the temp only get up to 85. . . . and then it cooling off to 75 in the evening. . . . was heaven.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:45 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I don't think summers are bad at all - of course I have a nice shady backyard and screened porch to enjoy them from!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Hot and humid, but generally not unbearable if you're smart.
Smart people are better able to endure heat?

If you stay inside with the air conditioning on (and you don't care how much it costs), it isn't bad at all. Outside, it is.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
The trouble with asking this question and sorting through the answers is that the Triangle is made up of people from all over the place who are going to have differing opinions and perspectives based on their past experiences in other places. So, to make it easy, I'll do my best to summarize for you:
  1. It's unbearably hot
  2. It's just about right
  3. I hate the Summer
  4. I love the Summer
  5. It's humid
  6. It's not humid
  7. Summer is too long
  8. Summer is too short
  9. Summer is just right
  10. The nights are hot
  11. The nights cool off
  12. There are too many bugs
  13. The bugs aren't bad at all
  14. You'll hate it
  15. You'll love it
  16. You can't go outside
  17. You'll love being outside
  18. It rains too much
  19. It doesn't rain enough
  20. There's just enough rain to cool you off
  21. You'll hate when it begins
  22. You'll hate when it's over

Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAPonyGirl View Post
This comment is really snarky. Why are people on this board so snarky all the time? The OP was just asking a simple question.
I don't find it snarky at all. As you've seen in this thread, people have varying subjective opinions of the heat and humidity here based on their own tolerances and other places they've lived that serve as the basis of their comparisons. So I'm not really sure that helps the OP all that much.

They'll need to decide for themselves whether they can stand the heat and humidity, and no one here can possibly incorporate the OP's unique situation into their assessment.

Far better is for the OP to look at the data for themselves and compare it to their own location and/or other places they're familiar with.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 AM

50 posts, read 140,082 times
I lived most of my life in NYC, where the summers aren't overly hot, but it can get very humid. Then I lived in Savannah, GA for 5 years, where the summers are really, really hot, but dry and not humid.

Raleigh summer is the worst of those two: really, really hot and really, really humid. This will be my 5th summer here, and while I generally enjoy warm weather, the summers can be a bit much at times.

I'm not complaining, just giving you the viewpoint of someone who has lived in different areas. As others have noted, the spring and fall here are fantastic. More than makes up for summer unpleasantness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary