Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 PM

123 posts, read 485,852 times

Advertisements

I agree with TS - if you spent so much time researching an area only to discover there are SOOOO many things you don't like about it, then, well, don't move to that area! Seems simple enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 PM

68 posts, read 160,789 times
Mike,

Great answer to my question, but you forgot to mention a few things.
#1 Lets be honest if the average price in Cary was say $500,000 we would not be even having this conversation. Hello call me crazy but I would say that for 90 percent of us average people the reason to move to the Cary area was first and formost price. And why is that because price plays a big part in " quality of life " If I hear that term one more tim. You make it soung like everyone is downtown at sunset holding hands singing" all we re saying is , is give peace a chance" Don't get me wrong but part of quality of life foe me is lowering my mortgage payment to work less to spend more time with my kids, and to be able to have a backyard that is flat, so I don't have run down A hill just to play kick ball. Not asking that much. Having a home where when you cough your neighbor doesn't hand you cough medicine. Now for me that is very much part of " quality of life" Don't get me wrong the people down there are the best human beings I've ever meet. Almost reason enough to move for that alone. But what I'm saying is it's starting to get expensive as Florida did a few years ago, where they said all the same great things, talk to anyone from fl lately? I'm sure you have Me and my wife's two best friends can't sell their houses and have lost over $100,000 each.
Last point the builders are starting toget greedy real greedy. Like they always do. Smaller and smaller lots and prices keep going up.
And trust me I know what I'm talking about I was an agent for six years and have a construction lisence, and have seen what these builders are selling people....

Old 06-03-2007, 06:55 PM

ps sorry about typos but hey I think fast and type fast, but I think you get my point....

Cary use to be in 01 the sleeper place to be in 02 place to get a great deal, in 03 the place to be, in 04 better hurry up the secret is out, 05 the deals, and good lots are going fast, 06 not a great deal but fair deal, 07, where are all the decent deals for a home? the tide is starting to change....

Old 06-03-2007, 07:01 PM

TS,

Your missing my whole point!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm frustrated because I LOVE THE AREA!!!!!!!!!! I JUST SPENT 15 DAYS AT THE HOMEWARD SUITES IN CARY looking for something that makes sence!!
( By the way Homeward suites best breakfast free too )
I have driven down there 13 hours straight twice in the last 3 weeks two plane flights also. I love the area, people, weather, mo jo felling, BUT..............it is not tha easy to find a home and for what i'm willing to pay it should be that's all I'm more dissapointed than anything else...

Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
The reason this topic was brought up in the first place was because the poster was complaining about their house not being sold and no one coming to look at it. People keep telling us northerners to stay up here, that is what some of us are starting to do. Most of the time, the reason someone wants to relocate to Raleigh is because affordable housing, then everything else is just an added bonus. Of course if Raleigh was a bad city, no one would want to move there. It is a nice city, with lots to offer, with cheap property(at least used to be) but it is a southern state and the #1 reason people usually move down south is for a cheaper cost of living. So the higher you try to sell your homes, more of us are not going to come. Personally I will buy a brand new home in a new upcoming town and skip the desireable places all together. Actually I will skip Wake County all together.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:04 PM

202 posts, read 949,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman999 View Post
Mike,

Great answer to my question, but you forgot to mention a few things.
#1 Lets be honest if the average price in Cary was say $500,000 we would not be even having this conversation. Hello call me crazy but I would say that for 90 percent of us average people the reason to move to the Cary area was first and formost price. And why is that because price plays a big part in " quality of life " If I hear that term one more tim. You make it soung like everyone is downtown at sunset holding hands singing" all we re saying is , is give peace a chance" Don't get me wrong but part of quality of life foe me is lowering my mortgage payment to work less to spend more time with my kids, and to be able to have a backyard that is flat, so I don't have run down A hill just to play kick ball. Not asking that much. Having a home where when you cough your neighbor doesn't hand you cough medicine. Now for me that is very much part of " quality of life" Don't get me wrong the people down there are the best human beings I've ever meet. Almost reason enough to move for that alone. But what I'm saying is it's starting to get expensive as Florida did a few years ago, where they said all the same great things, talk to anyone from fl lately? I'm sure you have Me and my wife's two best friends can't sell their houses and have lost over $100,000 each.
Last point the builders are starting toget greedy real greedy. Like they always do. Smaller and smaller lots and prices keep going up.
And trust me I know what I'm talking about I was an agent for six years and have a construction lisence, and have seen what these builders are selling people....
I do agree with you that the lots are getting way to small in a lot of newer neighborhoods in Cary which is why I am not moving there. I am starting to think that you actually looked at my house in the past couple of weeks based upon your flat lot comment. Now that would be funny. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:07 PM

NJ,

You said it the best! Why was it so hard for me....

Old 06-03-2007, 07:08 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,278 times
ok, quick suggestion for the frustration. Stop looking in Cary.
The Triangle is a beautiful area, where 300,000 will take you a long way. But, not in Cary. It seems like you're looking for something that's not there. so, stop looking there, and look in other nearby areas.
There are many places you can be where you don't have to be out on a dirt road in the middle of the night when your wife wants to go out, and that don't take a long commute.
If the price and lots are that important to you (understandably, believe me) my suggestion is to look at other areas of town. North and East possibly.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:18 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman999 View Post
ps sorry about typos but hey I think fast and type fast, but I think you get my point....

Cary use to be in 01 the sleeper place to be in 02 place to get a great deal, in 03 the place to be, in 04 better hurry up the secret is out, 05 the deals, and good lots are going fast, 06 not a great deal but fair deal, 07, where are all the decent deals for a home? the tide is starting to change....
Those timelines are not quite accurate. Cary has been for over 10 years a "place" to be for people coming in out of state. Specifically because of the high tech., and has attracted people on a non stop basis. It was also the place for new graduates in the tech industry from nc schools to start with their first homes after landing a job. What is now happening is it is growing with the times, and of course closer to the town one moves (anytown), less land is avail. And basically, it really sounds you did your best and Cary is not for you.

And no need for anyone to ruin this thread with this north /south stuff in any fashion, just not needed. And neither are unjustified neg points,

Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 PM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
dman999 are you only looking at Cary? I bet there are other places in the area that would fit your needs/desires more... Cary, North Raleigh and Chapel Hill are prime real estate right now but there are other wonderful areas that are still reasonably priced, flat lots, good schools, good neighbors, etc. Just wondering if you have or if you are willing to check out other areas. Best of luck and I will send good real estate vibes your way. Hopefully your house will sell ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary