Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:15 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times

Advertisements

When my husband and I were in Raleigh in October we looked around for some sort of wine storage facility. Here in Houston a number of the storage warehouse facility have climate-controlled wine storage available but we could not locate such a facility in Raleigh. When we make our anticipated move in about 3 years we will likely be trying to rent while we build a house and we will be coming with a substantial collection of wines. We need some place to house it while our house is being built. Anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 03:05 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
drink it before you come!!

Old 12-27-2006, 03:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
You can store it in my garage . Just Kidding! Seriously though, I am intrigued by your question. I am a very novice wine drinker myself and often wondered how people stored wine when moving in situations like this. If nobody here can help, I do have one suggestion for you although it is may just be a shot in the dark:

There is a great locally owned wine store in downtown Raleigh called the Seaboard Wine Warehouse. I know the name makes it sound like they store wine, but they look like just a wine store to me although they do have a wine bar in the back and do tasting every weekend. However, the owner is extremely nice and helpful and I know from speaking with him at the wine bar that he has an extensive wine collection in his own home. I'm sure if you are ever in Raleigh in the future you could swing by and talk to him and he could assist you in fining a place to store your wine. If anybody could help you he could and I think he would be eager to do so as you could become a valuable customer to them in the future. You may want to seriously consider giving them a call. A Google search of Seaboard Wine, Raleigh, NC will turn up their website and contact info. If you don't contact them now, I still highly recommend you check them out once you are living here. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2006, 04:25 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Drink it!

But seriously, how many bottles is "a substantial collection"? I had the same problem, but with beer. I'm a homebrewer and I had about 10 cases of beer stored at my house at about the time we decided to move. Since we knew that it would be about 6 months before we would actually move, I stopped brewing and began drinking. When it got close to our moving date, we had a party to finish off the last of it. Since you have 3 years before you move, you could probably put a pretty good dent in the collection.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:01 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I would also suggest a couple of things:

My friend owns the wine bar in chapel hill and I would be happy to pass along his information to you if you would like, he would probably know some inside scoop there.

There is a winery in morrisville/cary called the chatham hill winery (www.chathamhillwine.com) and they may have some suggestions for you as well. They are the only winery in the area that I know of (although there may be more), but they may be a good source for you.

Good luck
Leigh

Old 12-27-2006, 05:23 PM

leighbhe, what is the name of your friend's wine bar? I am always on the lookout for wine bars I have not been to before and this would give me an excuse to make a trip out to Chapel Hill in the new Year.

Second question, if I mention your name to your friend /owner will he give me a free glass of vino or charge me doubl?

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Carolina Wine Company used to. Not sure if they still do. They're located at 6601 Hillsborough St in Cary. They have a temperature controlled warehouse.
http://carolinawine.biz (broken link)

Old 12-28-2006, 07:29 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
To clarify, we have in excess of 900 bottles at the moment and that could increase by the time we leave Texas. Don't ask me why we have so much, it is a question I ask my husband frequently. As fast as we consume the wine we have he has already replaced it and then some. We are planning to build when we get to Raleigh and will include a storage facility in our new house but in the meantime... My husband teaches wine classes now as a sideline but once he is retired he hopes to be able to turn his passion into a retirement job somehow. To all of you who have made suggestions, thanks and I will follow up on each of them. The problem is though that most retailers don't have the amount of excess storage room to accomodate that much wine that doesn't belong to them.

We have already met the guy at Seaboard and he is indeed very nice. He is going to put my husband in touch with some distributors when we are just about ready to move to see if they can provide any space. This situation has certainly shown us that it is long past time to ramp up the wine culture in Raleigh. My husband knows a lot of suppliers around the country and having a group of like-minded wine people interested in making group purchases will really enhance the wine experience for everyone. Thanks to all who replied.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:12 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
leighbhe, what is the name of your friend's wine bar? I am always on the lookout for wine bars I have not been to before and this would give me an excuse to make a trip out to Chapel Hill in the new Year.

Second question, if I mention your name to your friend /owner will he give me a free glass of vino or charge me doubl?

Thanks!
The wine bar my friend owns is called "the wine bar" on franklin street in chapel hill (pass where most of the college bars are, going toward carrboro, close to 411 west restaurant). If my friend, jared is there, he would give you a free glass..........I think, now that the bar is established, he isn't there all of the time! They have expanded their operations and own a few other places as well. The wine bar is nice in the summer as well, because there is a rooftop area where you can sit...........

leigh

Old 12-28-2006, 09:14 AM

Thanks leigh, My wife and I will definitely check it out in the near future. I was just kidding about the free wine . I am more than happy to support local businesses here. I can't really afford the High Life, but I use wine as an excuse to visit nice restaurants that would normally be a bit out of my price range. For instance, I love to visit the Angus Barn every Christmas to take in their decorations and atmosphere. The prices for the meals is little steep for my wallet though so I just go upstairs to the Wild Turkey Bar and get a nice glass of wine (They have a great selection by the glass) and sit by the fire. Going out for a glass of wine is a great way to see new places in the triangle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary