Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:37 PM

59 posts, read 248,696 times

Advertisements

We currently attend a 25,000 member church here in Chicagoland. Are there any Mega Churches in the Raleigh area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch66 View Post
We currently attend a 25,000 member church here in Chicagoland. Are there any Mega Churches in the Raleigh area?
Not the super mega churches.....yet. There are plenty of large enough ones.

Believe me....if you can't find a Christian church around here, you aren't trying. There are plenty of other religious houses of worship for others as well....just not as many of them yet.

Last edited by Desdemona123; 06-05-2007 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: spelling/typo

Old 06-05-2007, 08:51 PM

68 posts, read 160,876 times
Mega,

Is a Mega church a requirement?

Old 06-05-2007, 09:02 PM

185 posts, read 992,306 times
25,000 OMG! my whole town could fit in that!

it's funny how we all want different things. I actuall prefer that there not be mega churches. I like small local churches where you know the people, but just big enough to have a nice sized youth group.

I don't live in the NC area (at least not yet), I live in a development and attend the church that's within the development less than a mile away. On the rare occassion that we're not running late and the weather's nice we actually walk there.

Are there nice small but not too small Methodist churches in the Durham area?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
There is a rather large church on Glenwood Avenue, across from Pleasant Valley Promenade. I can't remember the name but it WAS a hotel until the church bought it.

Vicki

Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 PM

59 posts, read 248,696 times
No! Mega is not a requirement. But we do prefer the larger size churches. We feel the larger the Church the more impact it has on a community. My church offer everthing from a soup kitchen and a cot, supprting families that the Father is at war. We will pay for the funural of a fallen soilder to providing cars to single moms. Which is a great ministry! We give cars that were donated ,to single Moms that need help. We provide everthing from gas cards to oil changes. amd on occasion engin replacements. Small churches struggle all the time with keeping the bills paid. Our church sits on millions at any given time. It's all about serving others. And my experience has been small churches simply are not able to. Being involved in a large church provides me with endless opportunities to help someone in need.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:26 AM

68 posts, read 160,876 times
That's very nice and you can do lots with a Mega church. But Jesus accomplished more with just 12 men and individuals than he ever did with a group. Those things are nice but " sitting on millions " is the the reason personally a Mega church would not be for me. It should never be what can be accomplished with millions then we take the focus off of Christ, who came riding on a donkey. Believe me money can do much as you stated and mega churches are great and do many things, but lets never forget it's not what you can do with money, maybe you should try to see how you can help someone without the money being a factor. Almost always there is a more important deeper issue that needs fixing more than the material.
God Bless

Old 06-06-2007, 06:34 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartian View Post
Are there nice small but not too small Methodist churches in the Durham area?
There are many, *many* Methodist churches in the Durham area. For good reason: The Duke family, which brought industry and Trinity College (later Duke Univ.) to Durham, were very devout Methodists and big supporters of the church. In fact, the Duke Endowment to this day supports philanthropy in NC/SC, Duke and other universities... and, rural United Methodist Churches in NC.

There are a number of beautiful Methodist churches in Durham with strong and active congregations.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I used to live near the church VickiR was talking about glenwood avenue and it is huge. I just cannot remember the name of it now! I think they even had a private school set up there. If I think of the name, I'll post it here.

There are some larger churches in the area which have been around for as long as I can remember and while they probably don't qualify as mega churches, I think they've supported themsleves and the community well over the decades.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:12 AM

123 posts, read 486,054 times
Providence Baptist is the one on Glenwood Ave.

Providence Baptist Church - pray.org

There is also Crossroads Fellowship on Millbrook Rd.

Welcome to Crossroads Fellowship

And in Cary, Colonial Baptist

Colonial Baptist Church - Cary, NC

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary