Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 AM

144 posts, read 468,662 times

Advertisements

My parents are visiting me from overseas and my dad is diabetic.

So, I want to buy him a pair of very nice diabetic shoes.

I am wondering if you guys are aware of any good places for diabetic shoes, preferrablly a place that custom-makes the shoes.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:47 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
My father was a diabetic and so is my brother. They've never had to buy special shoes. Not sure I understand what the requirements are.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My father was a diabetic and so is my brother. They've never had to buy special shoes. Not sure I understand what the requirements are.
Diabetic Shoes – choosing shoes for diabetics - Information About Diabetes

Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,057 times
I know there is a place in Cary on Kildaire Farm Road (in the WalMart and Harris Teeter shopping center) that services folks with diabetes for shoes. I forget the name...

Old 03-27-2010, 05:25 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
The Diabetic Foot - Foot.com

The store in Cary is Foot Solutions - Cary next to the Taj Ma-Teeter (flagship store) that I love

Old 03-28-2010, 01:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I am diabetic and looked into special shoes as well. They are extremely expensive and I found some brands which help me alot. Brooks sports shoes are great and I know of some other women's shoes but not mens. Sock for diabetics are just as important and can usually be had in the RX department of target, wallmart, etc. Call a podiatrist for more information about special shoes as they all sell them.

Usually they have a rep come in on a certain day once a week to work with patients but again look into more affordable and just as beneficial shoes. Remember the podiatrist gets a cut too. Good luck.

Also I don't know where your dad is coming from but diabetes is a worldwide problem and I would personally be more comfortable buying locally and feel more comfortable that any problems could be addressed directly in the town I lived in.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:40 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
Cameron Village has a Ritchey and Co, which I know does speciality shoe fitting Richey & Co. Shoes Pedorthic Footwear, as well as H&H shoe repair, which fits othotics.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:09 PM

94 posts, read 393,806 times
Smile Suggests: 9th St Active Feet in Durham, NC

During my company's health fair last Fall I received a gift certificate to 9th St Active Feet in Durham, NC.

Admittedly I'd never heard of the store before, so I checked out its website and remember being VERY impressed. As I suspected, the store's specialty is running shoes, but I noticed they also have Diabetic shoes.

What really grabbed my eye was the recognition this locally-owned store has received year after year by the industry, the formal education of the people that work there and the level of service they provide to customers further ensuring confidence in their purchase. Sidebar: though fashion has dominated footwear, I consider it our body's foundation and should be taken seriously and considered an investment.

Here are some highlighted excerpts from the store's website...

Recognition
9th St. Active Feet, Inc. of Durham, NC was named Running Specialty Store of the Year for 2007 by The Running Network, LLC and Footwork Intelligence. The award, presented in November 2007 in Austin Texas as part of the 50 Best Running Stores in America program, capped off a newly year-long search that took into account more than 1000 nominations from consumers, the mystery shopping of more than 120 stores and input from leading running vendors.

Knowledge
Each team member (Staff Assistant) at 9th Street Active Feet, Inc. has a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree related to athletic training, sports science, pre-physical therapy. This insures our team has the diagnostic skills relative to sports injuries and applied biomechanics and an understanding of the lower extremities to provide an appropriate fit for each customer.

Service
Every customer at 9th St. Active Feet, Inc. receives a free, thorough evaluation to determine the presence of biochemical lower extremity problems. This determines whether he or she is oversupinated, overpronated, or has a neutral foot. This process includes interpreting and filling physician prescriptions for therapeutic treatment of foot abnormalities through shoes, orthotics, inserts, etc. Each individual screening takes 30 to 60 minutes, and each team member generally fits 10 to 12 clients per day.

Here's their location and website for reference:

9th St Active Feet
725 Iredell Street
Durham, NC 27705
919-286-5101
9th St. Active Feet -Durham, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary