Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:17 PM

492 posts, read 1,153,083 times

Advertisements

Why do schools have to provide hot lunches? Why can't they serve PB&J or turkey sammies and a Dole fruit cup with a bottle of water? It would save a lot of money to just give them all a sack lunch rather than cook and serve that hot slop with little nutritional value that ends up mostly in the trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:40 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,850,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Wake school board splits over saying desegregation is still a goal :: WRAL.com

Reading the part about the school lunches makes me want to cry....there seems to be hints that going back to junk food would save a lot of money and therefore be a good move. LEt's face it, what's on the menu now is junk.

This is really getting old!
sausage on a stick wrapped in a pancake or a big cinnamon bun is healthy?!?! I shudder to think what they will revert to!
It would be cool to have a chef training program in each school using local ingredients... Sort of like what Jamie Oliver is trying to do in west Virginia.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,877,323 times
I seriously doubt that the Wake County lunch program differs significantly from 99% of other locations.
Here is a solution, PACK A LUNCH FOR YOUR KIDS!!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,125,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
Why do schools have to provide hot lunches? Why can't they serve PB&J or turkey sammies and a Dole fruit cup with a bottle of water? It would save a lot of money to just give them all a sack lunch rather than cook and serve that hot slop with little nutritional value that ends up mostly in the trash.
They do offer most of that, every day. Even fresh fruit and salads. The horror!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,080,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
US department of Agriculture has guidelines and they directly impact funding and most importantly Free and Reduced lunches.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,094,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I seriously doubt that the Wake County lunch program differs significantly from 99% of other locations.
Here is a solution, PACK A LUNCH FOR YOUR KIDS!!!!

That's exactly what I do. But here's a reality: up to 40% of the kids in every school are getting free or reduced lunch, meaning that some of them get only 2 meals a day and those are at school. Their parents CANNOT pack them a lunch. WHy is it that children who have the least access to resources have to get fed processed, chemically-laden foods? I agree with the PP who suggested a nice turkey sub, an apple, and some peanuts or something. Does the milk HAVE to be "strawberry" (aka petroleum-derived fake strawberry flavor fake nuclear pink coloring)? These additives have been shown to cause ADD symptoms in children. So we pump them full of them at SCHOOL? Seriously?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:49 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,094,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
They do offer most of that, every day. Even fresh fruit and salads. The horror!
Ha ha Lamishra

The thing is, I have seen the fresh fruit and it's not fresh. It's old. At least they try.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 PM

93 posts, read 309,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
. . . Here is a solution, PACK A LUNCH FOR YOUR KIDS!!!!
Yes!

And as far as the double budget cuts announced today why not have parents pay for busing instead of having it paid for by the school district? They do it this way in my town and it works just fine, never heard anyone complain.

Why is that people expect the school to be perfect on every point!?!?!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,125,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Ha ha Lamishra

The thing is, I have seen the fresh fruit and it's not fresh. It's old. At least they try.
Sure, it wasn't plucked off a tree earlier that morning from an organic farm in NC, but it's as fresh as you'd get at a grocery store. I think the fruit (and salad) is plenty fresh enough to serve it's purpose of meeting 1/3 of the RDA's (in most cases, for free ). I had the pleasure of interning with the head dietitian in WCPSS a couple of years ago while getting in Master's in Nutrition. I've always been fairly impressed with their program knowing what their budget is and what type of USDA commodity foods they receive. Otherwise, people are always free to pack a lunch, especially those who are not participating in the FNR program. In fact I'd encourage it!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,080,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous_in_new_england View Post
Yes!

And as far as the double budget cuts announced today why not have parents pay for busing instead of having it paid for by the school district? They do it this way in my town and it works just fine, never heard anyone complain.

Why is that people expect the school to be perfect on every point!?!?!
And if the parent doesn't pay and the child is under 16? Would there be Free and Reduced Bus Transportation based on income level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary