Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 AM

21 posts, read 23,659 times

Advertisements

Why does WCPSS new assignment plan have wait lists? I thought they were to hold your place in line for the next available seat, but I guess not.

According to the Preliminary Round 1 Proximity Choice Results and the Rising 9th Graders Requesting a Change in Assignment chart shown here http://www.wcpss.net/Board/work-session-materials/ wait lists were not used.

For example:
Apex High had 25 1st choice applicants accepted out of 157. That would leave 132 on a waiting list, right? The total accepted including 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice students was shown as 35. That means 10 were accepted as 2nd or 3rd choice applicants. How were those 10 spots given out to them before the students on the waiting list? Wasn't the waiting list created for the next available seat?

Apex High was not the only school handled this way. Green Hope, Broughton, Sanderson, Wakefield, and Enloe also overlooked their waiting lists and sat students requesting them as their 2nd/3rd choice. I haven't reviewed all the numbers at the 6th grade level, but I see some were done the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,509 times
I had the same question about Wakefield. I didn't see where it was specified that the 'requesting a change in assignment' chart reflected 1st, 2nd, & 3rd choice being seated. I just wondered why one chart said 61 1st choice seated out of 116 and then the other said 75 kids accepted.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote from N and O report:
"For rising ninth-graders, the placement rate among applicants was 73.4 percent for first-choice schools and 80.7 percent including second choices. Overall, 82.9 percent of ninth-graders who applied got one of their choices."

"Overall" rounded up is 83% which would include 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices etc. Looking at the chart you can see at the bottom of the totals column it shows 83%. The same thing applies to the 6th grade chart. Same numbers as posted in the N and O.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 PM

342 posts, read 872,192 times
Interesting. I have not gotten my letter yet for my Kindergartner. I am hoping he got into his school based off of the link you provided and looking at the 1st choice results.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 AM

Letters have not gone out yet. They are supposed be mailed Friday. Hopefully they will have fixed the computer glitch that allowed 2nd and 3rd choice applicants to be assigned before exhausting 1st choice waiting lists by then.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
It may be that the 2nd or 3rd choice applicants were higher on the priority list than some of the first choice applicants OR that for some of the 2nd choice applicants, their first choice was filled up.
I think a lot of people are going to get a second choice placement at what was someone else's first choice school.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,254 times
It would be interesting to see what exactly the algorithm is that they're using.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 AM

146 posts, read 332,219 times
I'm moving to Raleigh next Tuesday and this "choice" system is confusing me. My 1st grader will be transferring from NY to Raleigh, will I have to do this "choice system"? As far as I know she'll be attending Adam's Elementary and based on their track system, she'll be in the 3rd or 4th track (because the 2nd track will be out on their 2 week break).

Also, I have a 3 year old that'll be starting preschool this fall. Will I have to choose for her?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,254 times
Unless you already have an address in Raleigh you would have to participate in the choice plan.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It may be that the 2nd or 3rd choice applicants were higher on the priority list than some of the first choice applicants OR that for some of the 2nd choice applicants, their first choice was filled up.
I think a lot of people are going to get a second choice placement at what was someone else's first choice school.
According to the plan (see below) that can't happen. All 1st choice students should be seated before 2nd and 3rd choices or be placed on a waiting list for the next available seat. 2nd and 3rd choices should only happen if :

1. all 1st place seats have been taken/ no more waiting lists
2. and there are still remaining seats open

Priority 1: Incoming siblings at grades K, 6, and 9 of current WCPSS students will be
guaranteed placement at their sibling’s school if they list it as their first choice

Priority 2: Students who reside within 1.5 miles by driving distance of their first-choice school

Priority 3: Students whose nearest school is more than 1.5 miles from their residence and who
select that school as their first-choice school

"Once the selection priorities have been factored into each student’s number, school assignments will be made beginning with the first-choice school for every student. The student with the highest priority number for her/his first-choice school will have her/his application processed first for that school, followed by the student with the second-highest priority....."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary