U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 PM
 
28 posts, read 94,126 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi everyone - great posts here! We are currently living in Canada for past 4 years (having come originally from Scotland) and now looking to make a move to NC. Will be visiting in the next couple of weeks, but having checked out all the info here, seem to have pinpointed Wake Forest as ideal place to live but our daughter will probably be going to either Trinity Academy or North Raleigh Christian Academy. According to Google maps it's only a 15 - 20 minute drive from Wake Forest - but is that realistic? Also what other areas are good to live near those schools - preferably within walking distance? Really looking forward to visiting NC. LOVE the accent, LOVE Americans - just not sure about those ticks I've been reading about!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2007, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest
3,124 posts, read 12,102,536 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineb2 View Post
Hi everyone - great posts here! We are currently living in Canada for past 4 years (having come originally from Scotland) and now looking to make a move to NC. Will be visiting in the next couple of weeks, but having checked out all the info here, seem to have pinpointed Wake Forest as ideal place to live but our daughter will probably be going to either Trinity Academy or North Raleigh Christian Academy. According to Google maps it's only a 15 - 20 minute drive from Wake Forest - but is that realistic? Also what other areas are good to live near those schools - preferably within walking distance? Really looking forward to visiting NC. LOVE the accent, LOVE Americans - just not sure about those ticks I've been reading about!!!!!
Yes...and no. Depends how far out in Wake Forest you live.....it goes all the way outside the county line in places to the North....and....what time school will be in sesson. If you can miss the morning rush hour on Captial between South Main / Burlington Mills to Perry Creek you'd be okay.

Why not live closer to the school you want since it's private anyway. Do both of them have waiting lists? I think NRCA did at one point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 PM
 
28 posts, read 94,126 times
Reputation: 10
Smile Thanks For Info Desdemona Re Wf To Schools

We're not looking to move till next summer 2008 so still time to get registered with the schools. Not sure about waiting lists - we're going to check out both Trinity and NRCA in a couple of weeks - both have been recommended by different people. We work from home but my husband will be doing a course at the Seminary in WF 3 days per week - and we like the idea of living in a more rural setting. Just not sure I like the idea of trecking through nightmare traffic every morning - especially as school bus here picks up and drops off every day right at the bottom of our drive!!!! So I guess I've been spoiled by not having to do the school run. Also that whole inner beltline/outer beltline confusion I've been reading about!!! - would that affect the run from WF to either of the schools or is the route simple!!!!!! And what about those ticks?!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 08:19 PM
 
3,578 posts, read 5,987,160 times
Reputation: 6862
Rural and Wake Forest are not exclusive to one another. You could live off of Creedmor Road north of I-540. And depending on where in Wake Forest (as stated in other posts) the ride could be relatively manageable. You could easily take secondary roads to work through the back end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest
3,124 posts, read 12,102,536 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineb2 View Post
We're not looking to move till next summer 2008 so still time to get registered with the schools. Not sure about waiting lists - we're going to check out both Trinity and NRCA in a couple of weeks - both have been recommended by different people. We work from home but my husband will be doing a course at the Seminary in WF 3 days per week - and we like the idea of living in a more rural setting. Just not sure I like the idea of trecking through nightmare traffic every morning - especially as school bus here picks up and drops off every day right at the bottom of our drive!!!! So I guess I've been spoiled by not having to do the school run. Also that whole inner beltline/outer beltline confusion I've been reading about!!! - would that affect the run from WF to either of the schools or is the route simple!!!!!! And what about those ticks?!!!!!
Hummm.....there are rural areas around Wake Forest....just not that many near the schools you picked.

Most students with children at the Seminary homeschool from what I am told (and see). Is NRCA even on their approved list? I know some non-Baptist children that go there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 08:42 PM
 
28 posts, read 94,126 times
Reputation: 10
Appreciate the information. I guess the preference would be to live within walking distance of Seminary in WF - given that the schools start around 8am - would I miss the worst traffic if I went the back roads? I know I'm visiting your lovely part of the country in a couple of weeks, but it really helps to get the low down on stuff like this before getting there. Also, we want to check out somewhere to stay in or around WF for just one night - Sleep Inn? Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express? Any recommendations which of these is best for cleanliness and comfort? Or other suggestions? Many thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest
2,834 posts, read 11,468,975 times
Reputation: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineb2 View Post
Appreciate the information. I guess the preference would be to live within walking distance of Seminary in WF - given that the schools start around 8am - would I miss the worst traffic if I went the back roads? I know I'm visiting your lovely part of the country in a couple of weeks, but it really helps to get the low down on stuff like this before getting there. Also, we want to check out somewhere to stay in or around WF for just one night - Sleep Inn? Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express? Any recommendations which of these is best for cleanliness and comfort? Or other suggestions? Many thanks.

I have had a number of clients stay at the hampton inn, they said it was nice. They chose the hampton over the holiday inn because of price. Right next door to the hampton is briggs restaurant which has amazing breakfast (although a little pricey) and within walking distance a decent mexican restaurant.

Leigh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
 
28 posts, read 94,126 times
Reputation: 10
Desdemona - no idea that the Seminary even had an approved list!!!! We're probably more interested in Trinity but the recommendation for NRCA came from one of the staff there whose children attend so I'm guessing that it's 'approved'!!!. Interesting that you say a lot of the students homeschool their kids. Not something I'm keen on as we have an only child who is very sociable and thrives on being around other kids - so not an option for us. Am I right in thinking it's older housing near the Seminary as opposed to new builds? We're looking at renting initially for the first year. Are there many house rentals in that area? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest
3,124 posts, read 12,102,536 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineb2 View Post
Appreciate the information. I guess the preference would be to live within walking distance of Seminary in WF - given that the schools start around 8am - would I miss the worst traffic if I went the back roads? I know I'm visiting your lovely part of the country in a couple of weeks, but it really helps to get the low down on stuff like this before getting there. Also, we want to check out somewhere to stay in or around WF for just one night - Sleep Inn? Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express? Any recommendations which of these is best for cleanliness and comfort? Or other suggestions? Many thanks.
The thing is....getting from WF to that part...there aren't a lot of 'backroad' options...certainly none that would be even close to the same mileage, there may be less traffic, but it would take the same amount of time or longer. Again, it really depends where you live in WF.

The other morning I took my daughter to school in downtown (she missed her bus! First time all year!)...and we left at 7am...and hit a pretty good snarl in that section of Captial....so....no, you may still hit it. However, I think NRCA starts well before 8 though.

All the hotels you mention are nice.....depends on your price range and where you want to stay. We had friends stay at the Hampton Inn recently and they thought it was fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 PM
 
28 posts, read 94,126 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks Leigh for recommendation. And oh boy will my hubby be delighted at the news that there's Mexican food nearby!!! Talking of food - are there any good Thai restaurant in you neck of the woods?! Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top