Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,344,804 times

Advertisements

One idea is to post on craigslist with your square footage and general location and what you want to pay. See if you have any takers!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 PM

131 posts, read 446,211 times
Agreed Fluid!!^5!! I've recently done some cleaning locally due to a job layoff (for cash & with customer supplies just because I have kids to feed), and it is VERY hard work if you do it right!!!!

I cleaned four bathrooms from top to bottom for a woman who had a 3,000 sq. ft. near Flowers Plantation recently, and it took me 5.5 HOURS to scrub JUST the bathrooms!! However, the lady inspected my completed job and gave me $150, which was fair considering I busted my butt and bathrooms can get nasty...

I'll do dishes, laundry and the whole works for $20/hr....can do laundry while I'm cleaning, no biggie there. It's the scrubbing on the hands and knees for extended periods that's a killer....I have to use my son's wrestling kneepads lol

Oh lawdie get someone who's house is a mess and have to deep clean, that's EXTRA...learned my lesson there! I've done a few deep cleans, windows, curtains, blinds, etc. and cleaned houses that could be on that show Hoarders lol. Sometimes it can be shocking to see how people really live. And no ironing sorry.

You get what you pay for in the cleaning department, BigLuke... :-)

Old 04-17-2010, 12:16 PM

11 posts, read 25,925 times
I think $60-80 is pretty much standard for a one or two bedroom condo from what I've seen. A 2,400 sq ft home tends to be around $100+ depending on frequency, numbers of bathrooms etc. I don't think most cleaning services include doing dishes and laundry in a standard fee. At least none of the ones I've heard of. Cleaning homes is very hard work so fees tend to reflect that.

Last edited by Barkgrooming; 04-17-2010 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: extra words

Old 04-17-2010, 01:11 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Sounds more like slave labor - $60 to clean a 2400 sf home, along with dishes and laundry!!! Give me a break - would YOU do it for that amount? To complete that amount of work and do a good job is a full day's work. I'm guessing you paid that much in Houston because of it's proximity to the Mexican border. People deserve the dignity of a fair wage.
THIS

Buddy of mine who owns rental houses in the area loves Mexican people, they are extremely hard workers, dependable, and make good tenants.

You might be able to find someone on the cheap around here but don't be surprised when $5,000 in jewelry goes missing or you are robbed a week later.

The craigslist idea is a good one. Although you can't be sure of what you are getting and letting into your home.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:01 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,946,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Sounds more like slave labor - $60 to clean a 2400 sf home, along with dishes and laundry!!! Give me a break - would YOU do it for that amount? To complete that amount of work and do a good job is a full day's work. I'm guessing you paid that much in Houston because of it's proximity to the Mexican border. People deserve the dignity of a fair wage.
I agree with this post 100%. This is back-breaking work when done properly, and I would think for a 2,400 sq ft home that $100 would be the absolute minimum.

I would estimate that it would take at least 5 intense hours, and $20/hour would be the lowest amount that could be considered fair.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:12 PM

476 posts, read 1,677,855 times
I always get a kick out of the postcards that come in the mail that scream
"The Wrong Person is Cleaning your House!!!".

I laugh to myself "You sure got THAT right... cuz that wrong person is ME!".

Old 04-17-2010, 03:41 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,118,293 times
I live in Montana (only for the next 2 weeks....yea!! ) and I clean houses your size for $200. I have no problem getting it either. That only includes washing the bed linens (no other laundry or dishes). Windows are extra too. So I guess you should consider $100 pretty fair, or be glad you don't live up here!

Old 04-17-2010, 05:25 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,179,716 times
If you can't afford hiring cleaners, do it yourself or get a home that you can handle yourself.

Children make good cleaners with assigned chores.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,105,628 times
The only time we ever had a housekeeper was in the mid-seventies. We were fortunate to have "Addie," a 72-year-old former migrant worker. She cleaned houses for $25 a week, and we, and several of our friends, kept her busy. If it wasn't that inexpensive, we wouldn't have been able to do it.

She cleaned our first home, a 1400-square-foot, circa 1910 city house, and it took her about five hours. She did dishes and laundered bed linens. (No windows.) She made everything shine! She took great pride in cleaning our home, and she made us realize how fortunate we were to have it. She lived in a subsidized apartment.

I just used a website to find out how $25 in 1975 compares to today's dollar. Measuring Worth - Purchasing Power of US Dollar

This is what it says:
$99.60
in the year 2009 has the same "purchase power" as $25 in the year 1975.

So from my perspective, you are getting a GREAT deal at $100 for cleaning your home!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:21 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,344,804 times
I think people should take it easy on the original poster . . I do think a living wage is important, but what are people making in the fast food places . . or poultry plants or hog farms . . those companies are probably not paying $25/hour (please correct me if I am wrong).

A lot of people who have a cleaning service have multiple jobs themselves and have ZERO time for cleaning. It's not that they are even that well-off, it's a cost associated with having to be out of their home for so many hours in a day.

And, what do you think the people who work for the cleaning services make? I doubt they get a very high proportion of the hourly cost that is paid to the company.

There are Ph.D.s in this economy who are working in Ph.D.-required jobs making $15/hour, I can think of two I know right off the top of my head. I am not saying that this persons time is "worth more" than someone's who does cleaning. I'm just stating it as a reality check of what kind of wages people are truly making out there these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary