Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM

15 posts, read 32,188 times

Advertisements

So many decisions to make for the family! We currently live in southern CA and pulled our daugther out of private school last year because it was too expensive 15K!!!! This year we were able to do an interdistrct transfer to the best public school district in CALIFORNIA!!! STAR testing is at 985!!!
I want a better life, new community living environment, and I understand from all the research I have done thus far Wake county has the best schools.
BUT, I have read many negative things about busing, and transfers and that worries me. If we were to buy a 500,000 home in Heritage, Wake County our daughter might be bussed to a school farther away?? Are there any gurantees?

PLEASE HELP A CALIFORNIA GAL UNDERSTAND!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 02:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
There's more to this area than Wake County. You might also consider Chapel Hill, for example. Or Durham. Or Orange County. Or Chatham County.

There's much to love about Wake, but there are many areas you can consider.

What kinds of things are you looking for?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:38 PM

Public Schools are most important! We would also love a lower mortgage and a NEW HOME! It is so insane the prices in CA! Taxes just went up and pink slip for layoffs are flying around everywhere. We even want a slower pace of life. I am so over the Los angeles scene!!

Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiagroovygal View Post
I want a better life, new community living environment, and I understand from all the research I have done thus far Wake county has the best schools.
BUT, I have read many negative things about busing, and transfers and that worries me. If we were to buy a 500,000 home in Heritage, Wake County our daughter might be bussed to a school farther away?? Are there any gurantees?
I would not move all the way across the country, knowing nothing about the area, based on schools alone. Wake's get high marks but so do many others all over the place--I have never heard the Wake county has the best schools in the whole US (seems like they would be brandishing that title all the time if that were true!). First and foremost, make sure you will be able to get jobs here, considering NC's high unemployment, and that you actually want to be here for reasons other than the schools, which yes, are in the process of changing (google "wake county school board" to see the new board who've just been voted in and plan to revampe the whole system).

Wakefield is close to a cluster of schools and would likely be assigned to the nearby ones, but no, there are never any "guarantees" about which school you will be assigned to.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:44 PM

The family is coming in July to "look" and get a feel for the environment. My sister and her husband looked last summer and LOVED it! And they were both born and raised in Pasadena, CA!! They said incredibly friendly people and great quality of life. Their realtor took them to Apex, Wake Forest, Raleigh and they were impressed with ALL 3. They do not have children yet.
We would never make a move without a job! I have been in pharma sales and would love to work in a hospital. There are alot of jobs available at Rex and Duke!!! But, I want to see if I can handle the humidity in July!

Old 04-22-2010, 04:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
And actually Orange county (Chapel Hill) schools are considered the best in NC (better than Wake). And UNC hospital is in Orange, with Duke nearby. When you visit, be sure to check that area as well.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:17 PM

9 posts, read 20,833 times
How old is your daughter? I'll save my horror stories about moving kids to Raleigh from Michigan until I see your answer...

Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 PM

441 posts, read 1,292,050 times
There are no guarantees in Wake County Schools but I would feel very comfortable that if you lived in Heritage your kids would go to Heritage High or Wake forest Rolesville HS which is being completely remolded and is scheduled to open for the 2010 - 2011 school year. Both my kids transfered into HS without any issues and did better here then in NY. Wake Forest is a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 20,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post
There are no guarantees in Wake County Schools but I would feel very comfortable that if you lived in Heritage your kids would go to Heritage High or Wake forest Rolesville HS which is being completely remolded and is scheduled to open for the 2010 - 2011 school year. Both my kids transfered into HS without any issues and did better here then in NY. Wake Forest is a great place to live and raise a family.
I probably should have worded my response better, and your reply helps me say what I should have said in my first post - I don't know if you meant this, but I would say whatever you do, don't try to transfer High School aged kids to an inside-the-beltline school!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3013 View Post
I probably should have worded my response better, and your reply helps me say what I should have said in my first post - I don't know if you meant this, but I would say whatever you do, don't try to transfer High School aged kids to an inside-the-beltline school!
Can I ask why? Did move them from another Wake Co school or from out of state? if there was an issue with a particular school would you feel comfortable sharing so we'll all know? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary