Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 PM

22 posts, read 74,144 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

I am a student at Texas State University-San Marcos and, just recently, I accepted an offer from IBM for a summer co-op position in the RTP area. I will be relocating to either Chapel Hill or Raleigh and will be subleasing an apartment from a college student (haven't chosen a listing yet) who is heading home for the summer.

I have been told that I will be working a full 40 hour week and was assured that I will be kept busy. So, my question to y'all is are there any areas/neighborhoods/apartment complexes that I should stay away from if I am not looking for a loud, disruptive area? I would like to be around the college folk, just not above some partiers who like keeping their bass on a constant high or next to the local bar. I also don't mind paying on the higher end of prices for housing, so if there are any upscale student complexes in either areas, don't hesitate to share.

Some of the apartments I have seen have been Wolf Creek (NCSU) and The Warehouse (UNC).

Also, if you were in my situation, would you choose Chapel Hill or Raleigh (NCSU area) to live during the summer?

I would appreciate any advice given. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 01:36 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
I'd stay more towards the Durham/CH area, if nothing else than to help your commute. NCSU isn't terribly far, but I do believe Duke and UNC are closer and may be a bit easier traffic-wise.

Mike

Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Personally, if you aren't going out a lot or hanging out with the local college crowd I would choose a place to stay in either SW Durham or Brier Creek for convenience, and still have plenty of restaurants, bars, and shopping nearby.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM

22 posts, read 74,144 times
Thanks for the responses.

I have to ask, though. I am sure there are plenty of other "relocating to the triangle" threads out there, but I have a few questions on how the area differs from good ole central Texas.

1. When approaching a yellow light? Do ya'll speed up?

2. How are the cops (speeding wise)? We are typically allowed an extra 5 miles an hour unless its a speed trap.

3. I have never been to NC. Are you considered the "South?" The reason why I ask is because when I visited Virginia, I stopped at a store and told the cashier I was from down south. I later learned that the term "south" has to do with the Civil War.

4. College Baseball. Any schools in the triangle really good? (only ask this because I, sadly, couldn't care less for College Basketball)

5. In the summer, how hot does it get? Humid much?

Thanks! Also, if you want to refer me to another thread that answers a lot of these questions, I am always good with that, too. =D

Old 04-23-2010, 03:10 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Here are my answers:

1. When approaching a yellow light? Do ya'll speed up?

Idiots do.

2. How are the cops (speeding wise)? We are typically allowed an extra 5 miles an hour unless its a speed trap.

No more than 4 or 5 miles.

3. I have never been to NC. Are you considered the "South?" The reason why I ask is because when I visited Virginia, I stopped at a store and told the cashier I was from down south. I later learned that the term "south" has to do with the Civil War.

Of course it's the South. The South was in the Civil War, but it would have been the South regardless. What a weird thing for someone to say to you.

I've met native Texans who bristle at the suggestion that they are from the South. Apparently, they think Texas is sort of like its own country. There are a lot of weird people in the world.

4. College Baseball. Any schools in the triangle really good? (only ask this because I, sadly, couldn't care less for College Basketball)

I'll let others answer.

5. In the summer, how hot does it get? Humid much?

Real hot and real humid, but I'm sure in Texas it's worse.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:11 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,741 times
UNC and NC State are normally pretty good at baseball but it seems to be a down year for both teams

Neither team are in the top 25 (NC State did receive some votes)
NCAA Polls, College Sports Rankings, NCAA Sports Polls - ESPN

Don't forget about the Durham Bulls if you are into baseball. First place in AAA...
2010 Durham Bulls Baseball Club

If you are any good at baseball, let me know. I am an IBMer and my softball team could use another player or two.

Shoot me a Direct Message if interested...

Oh, and I would choose Chapel Hill personally, but I do live in SW Durham by the Southpoint mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary