Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 16,602 times

Advertisements

Since I'm still relatively new to NC, I really need some help finding recommendations for things like doctors.

My boyfriend and I have been discussing starting a family, but I am considered high risk because I have an arthritic autoimmune disorder and antiphospholipid syndrome.

I need a doctor who can help me navigate the difficult struggle of balancing medications and the safety of my baby.

I live in Apex, but will possibly be moving to Mebane soon, so I have a large range of areas I'd be willing to drive to for the right doctor.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:25 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,820 times
We have heard great things around Durham OB/GYN.

Durham OB/GYN - DukeHealth.org

It is 30 minutes from Apex and 30 minutes from Mebane. Might be worth a call about high risk pregnancies.

Best Wishes!
Matt

Old 05-10-2010, 05:31 AM

109 posts, read 343,051 times
UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill have excellent high risk/OB perinatologists. I know many people who transfered there after developing pregnancy complications, or decided to go there from the beginning if they had a pre existing condition. On the OB side they are a high risk only practice I believe, so they are used to some very difficult and/or complicated cases.

I have seem some OB practices that call themselves "high risk" but in reality they use the UNC or Duke perinatologists as consultants to handle the complicated issues with your pregnancy, so then you would end up going back and forth to 2 practices different throughout your pregnancy. When you interview Drs, make sure you know what they mean when they claim they are a "high risk" practice.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 AM

305 posts, read 760,850 times
I think most roads will lead to you either UNC or Duke for your care. If you want to go the Duke route, I believe you would work with a traditional OB for the bulk of your care with consultation with Duke Maternal-Fetal Medicine as needed. Duke Women's Health Associates is a nice practice with offices in Chapel Hill and Briar Creek that is well-connected with Duke Maternal-Fetal Medicine. They deliver at Duke, so you'd be in the right place (vs. say, Durham Regional) if there are any major complications with delivery. I liked Dr. Nieves. In our experience, the front desk staff at MFM can leave a bit to be desired (our family's nickname for them was the DMV...) but they have some really great practitioners, genetic counselors, etc.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM

635 posts, read 1,616,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylemphloem View Post
If you want to go the Duke route, I believe you would work with a traditional OB for the bulk of your care with consultation with Duke Maternal-Fetal Medicine as needed. Duke Women's Health Associates is a nice practice with offices in Chapel Hill and Briar Creek that is well-connected with Duke Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
As far as I know, you can actually use Duke Maternal-Fetal Medicine as your primary OB and not have to go between two practices. I did deliver both my children through Duke Women's Health Associates, who I was very happy with. I was not considered high risk, though I did have a number of consults with Duke Maternal-Fetal Medicine docs due to an issue that arose during my pregnancy and thought highly of them. I have several friends who did do all their prenatal care and delivery straight with the Duke Maternal-Fetal Medicine and were well taken care of and happy with their experiences. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
As far as I know, you can actually use Duke Maternal-Fetal Medicine as your primary OB and not have to go between two practices. I did deliver both my children through Duke Women's Health Associates, who I was very happy with. I was not considered high risk, though I did have a number of consults with Duke Maternal-Fetal Medicine docs due to an issue that arose during my pregnancy and thought highly of them. I have several friends who did do all their prenatal care and delivery straight with the Duke Maternal-Fetal Medicine and were well taken care of and happy with their experiences. Best of luck to you.
That makes sense.
At UNC I chose to go directly to a preinatologist (same as maternal-fetal medicine) for my primary OB throughout my pregnancy, and totally bypassed the regular OB practice at UNC. It makes sense that you could also do that at Duke. I was VERY happy with the care I received at UNC, and from what I have seen it can be much better to have one OB than two (or more) Drs. Also, having a high risk OB at UNC (and I would assume Duke also) it was so much easier to deal with any "after hours" emergencies or concerns.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 AM

41 posts, read 223,557 times
Would agree with the other posts. Can't go wrong with either UNC or Duke. I stuck with my regular OB (Mid-Carolina at Rex) and only went up to UNC for certain procedures. As mentioned before, my OB does claim to be high risk but when things got really complicated with my twin pregnancy I was quickly sent over to UNC. I only went to the UNC campus in Chapel Hill twice for procedures and all other times were at their Women's Specialty Center inside of Rex. It was a hassle going back and forth between the two but I really liked my regular OB and felt between the two places I was getting the best care. I could definitely understand skipping the regular OB all together though.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 16,602 times
All of this information has been incredibly useful, I appreciate everyone's help tremendously!! I've got an intake at Mid-Carolina for basic work ups with an additional referral to Duke! I know where to come when I have questions in the future

Thanks!!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 PM

GREAT!
Good luck to you!
We are very fortunate to have such good healthcare options in this area.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,505 times
savascha - I too am considered high-risk and currently go to a regular practice for my ob-gyn needs however, I was wondering if you could tell me who you were referred to at Duke? Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary