Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:22 AM

85 posts, read 323,047 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing a lot of people on the forum talking about their pets (whether just in passing or as part of a "we're moving with xx pets" thread) and there seems to be a lot of people with multiple pets. I was wondering about rules within towns about the keeping of multiple pets.

We have 6 rescued house rabbits. The live inside with us and are litterbox trained. Very neat and I must say very cute.

I've been concerned about any policy in towns like Cary and Apex against the owning of multiple pets. In Massachusetts where I live now, for example, I lived in a town that if you had more than 2 dogs you needed a kennel license. And there are other towns in my area with legislation against owning more than 2 pets.

Mass doesn't seem to friendly to multiple-pet households (not to mention my friends and family think I'm nuts but to rescue an animal that would otherwise be without a home is one of the best things to do in my opinion), and I'm hoping to find a more similar mind-set in NC.

Any legislation like I mentioned above in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 06:27 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
I think that there was a discussion about this a few months back, specifically related to Cary and their dog/cat rules. From what I remember, any number of dogs or cats are allowed. It used to be that you were only allowed 2 dogs, but the city changed the rules a few years back. Someone please correct me if my memory is incorrect.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:41 AM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I think that there was a discussion about this a few months back, specifically related to Cary and their dog/cat rules. From what I remember, any number of dogs or cats are allowed. It used to be that you were only allowed 2 dogs, but the city changed the rules a few years back. Someone please correct me if my memory is incorrect.
You are right.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,691,229 times
You will find in alot of covenants for the subdivisions only a certain amount of pets is allowed.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:20 AM

185 posts, read 992,374 times
i saw a covenent at one subdivision that said, maxiumum number dogs 2, only pets permitted: fish, dogs, cats. but each subdivision has their own rules.

just be careful of covenants and might have to be willing to move outside of a development.

yeah, i'm amazed that I havne't seen a "5 cats! are you nuts!?!" response to my posts. hehehe only seems like we have more than 1 cat around when it's feeding time or litter scooping time.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:27 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,691,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartian View Post
i saw a covenent at one subdivision that said, maxiumum number dogs 2, only pets permitted: fish, dogs, cats. but each subdivision has their own rules.

Exactly. My convenants allow horses, dogs, cats and other domestic animals. Number is limited. But also is very specific with no fowl of any type, or farm animals.
We have a young doe that comes everyday to eat her little bit of seed we put out for her down by our pond. But we cannot have ducks,

Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 AM

99 posts, read 216,575 times
Default Multiple Pets

While we're on the subject, did anyone make the move with multiple cats? My husband and I have three and they are causing the most difficulty in all of our considerations. They're indoor cats and things like showing our house becomes a lot more difficult with them. Also, traveling across country. We were thinking of taking them on a plane and just bringing a friend to carry the third, but that could just be soooo expensive. So then comes driving across country....but we're in CA, so easily a 4-5 day drive. Any suggestions or advise?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Default The petting zoo is about to hit the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothruaccess View Post
While we're on the subject, did anyone make the move with multiple cats? My husband and I have three and they are causing the most difficulty in all of our considerations. They're indoor cats and things like showing our house becomes a lot more difficult with them. Also, traveling across country. We were thinking of taking them on a plane and just bringing a friend to carry the third, but that could just be soooo expensive. So then comes driving across country....but we're in CA, so easily a 4-5 day drive. Any suggestions or advise?
We have three cats, one rabbit, one gerbil, one goldfish and if my wife has her way, a guinea pig to haul from Long Island to Raleigh. It is far and away the most complicated detail of our move. We have it roughly figured out so that the cats and the rabbit will each have their own carrier strapped down in the backseat of one car. The gerbil, goldfish and guinea pig will ride with the kids in the second car in the back seat. We can't leave them in a parked car and so we'll be doing drive thru for food and rotating bathroom breaks. Very stressful. Our vet suggested a mild tranquilizer (actually she recommended a small dose of Benadryl) for the cats and to not feed them for at least seven hours prior to the drive. She also suggested strapping a water bottle to the carrier.

As for the original poster regarding the rabbits, as long as they keep their barking to a minimum I doubt anyone will know you have them. Seriously, other then when our rabbit chases one of the cats or vice-versa you wouldn't even know he was in the house (except of course for those pesky little pellets that still manage to find their way all over the place). A litter-trained rabbit is amongst one of the best choices for a house pet I can think of.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:05 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
We have three cats, one rabbit, one gerbil, one goldfish and if my wife has her way, a guinea pig to haul from Long Island to Raleigh. It is far and away the most complicated detail of our move. We have it roughly figured out so that the cats and the rabbit will each have their own carrier strapped down in the backseat of one car. The gerbil, goldfish and guinea pig will ride with the kids in the second car in the back seat. We can't leave them in a parked car and so we'll be doing drive thru for food and rotating bathroom breaks. Very stressful. Our vet suggested a mild tranquilizer (actually she recommended a small dose of Benadryl) for the cats and to not feed them for at least seven hours prior to the drive. She also suggested strapping a water bottle to the carrier.

As for the original poster regarding the rabbits, as long as they keep their barking to a minimum I doubt anyone will know you have them. Seriously, other then when our rabbit chases one of the cats or vice-versa you wouldn't even know he was in the house (except of course for those pesky little pellets that still manage to find their way all over the place). A litter-trained rabbit is amongst one of the best choices for a house pet I can think of.
How are you going to transport a goldfish? They can live in water without "pumped air" for about an hour or so. Did you buy some kind of special battery operated device? Just curious.
(2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 rabbits and 2 guinea pigs here!)

Old 06-13-2007, 11:08 AM

185 posts, read 992,374 times
i wonder if you could take a train more comfortably with the cats.

we havne't put our house up for sale yet but I expect that my cats will all hide under the furniture during open house.

we've taken them on trips before and at 2.5 hours one of the cats always goes in the carrier. but they won't use the litterbox if you give htem a chance on the road.

before we take them I"m going to talk to their vet and ask about a tranquilzer for them. cause i know they're going to go nuts. it'll be an 11 hour drive when we move to nc.

cats can ride in carriers pretty cheaply in the cargo area, but I wouldn't do that unless i absolutely had to. i thought they were free if they were your "carry on", never needed to though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary