Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:39 AM

28 posts, read 116,576 times

Advertisements

I would prefer to buy a home, but might have to start off renting. I have four large breed dogs and one little something mix. There are also six cats and a ferret that are coming with us.

Where should we go? We want a couple of acres of land an a home on it, obviously, but we also are not going to afford to pay a whole lot in rent.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,264,910 times
We have a tough time finding a place for us and our two dogs. Most want ONLY outside dogs, which is ok with us, but then when we look at a place the outside has like a gazillion fire ants and mounds 6 inches high...not sure if we know ANYONE who would put their animal ouside in those conditions..

We found our current place through CL and plan to relocate when our current lease expires in a month or so. We have started looking now and would like to get a place that allows dogs inside at least at night or that has greatly reduced its fire ant population. Our dogs come inside in the evening and they have multiple bites everyday...

We have seen some places with 2 or more acres (not many are fenced) for less than $900 a month. Fencing is not very common or if it is it is live-stock type that most dogs can get through that.

Other than CL, try a realtor who has access to the MLS and can pull up proiperties based on your criteria.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:51 AM

7 posts, read 17,693 times
You can't rent with numerpous pets.. simple as that. You need to BUY ypur own property.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:59 AM

I am trying rent someplace while searching for a home to buy. I don't want to rent forever.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:12 AM

26 posts, read 56,515 times
You might want to check the outlying towns & counties that are more rural. Youngsville, Bunn, Wendell, and Louisburg or Franklinton. Check the Wake Weekly and Eastern Wake News for ads. The local libraries carry the papers. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,111,654 times
I think you can find a place to rent, you just have to look. I''d try Craigslist.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:21 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,304,432 times
If you don't care much about location, age of the house, or the appearance of the neighborhood, you can probably find places. I looked at a website (can't post here) that showed quite a few places with acreage. The listings don't say whether pets are allowed, but if a place has been vacant, and you are willing to pay a little extra, you can find something.
If you need to stay in town, are opposed to mobile homes, or only want a nice neighborhood, maybe not.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 AM

I am at a point where I don't get to be picky where I live. I don't want to live in a ghetto crackhouse, but I don't want to live in a $1 million dollar home either.

I've tried Craigslist (responding to ads and posting my own) with not much luck. It's getting stressful.

THanks for the advice.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 AM

831 posts, read 1,967,091 times
On CL did you check off dogs/cats? I found a few homes when I searched, on 1/2 acre...

I think I would put together a complete package offer to a prospective landlord of a professional cleaning and carpet steaming upon your move out or something similar...to give myself more of a chance of obtaining a home that will permit me and all my critters. If my critters can't go, neither do I. So I'll go the extra 100 miles to ensure everyones' happiness.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:54 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,546,737 times
Also, keep in mind that even if you do find a place that allows pets, they will charge a pet deposit fee in the $250 range per animal. That's gonna be at least a $1,750 pet deposit in addition to your regular security deposit. Ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary