Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:01 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,016 times

Advertisements

Well, up in Northern New Jersey, we just had our first unannounced visit of the year, from a very large black bear and her cub out in our backyard yesterday. Scares me that my kids may be outside playing during a visit. Anyway, looking in Clayton, and hopefully moving in the near future, what may I expect to see traveling through my neighborhood or backyard? What kind of wild visitors do North Carolina residents have near their homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 06:05 AM

546 posts, read 2,417,326 times
Well, I live in N Raleigh not Clayton but I can tell you that we have seen deer, rabbits, hawks, copperheads (2), black snakes, mice and red fox in our yard. No bears though Our friends in Lewisburg had a bear on their property for several days so they are around.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
I'm not in Clayton, but in North Raleigh I see deer, opossum, raccoons (at night), plus the normal critters: birds, squirrels, chipmunks, frogs, bats and so on. No bear, though .

Old 06-15-2007, 06:52 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
I live in Apex, and so far the largest critter I've seen in my yard is a rabbit. He's been living in there since last year - and I think he has a death wish since I have three large dogs!

I try to keep an eye out for him when I let my dogs out - give him a good head start to get under the juniper before the dogs see him.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:54 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,336 times
Don't forget about the Clayton gator!

That's a once-in-a-rare-time experience though. Don't get worried about it.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Don't forget about the Clayton gator!

That's a once-in-a-rare-time experience though. Don't get worried about it.
Okay, I'll bite. What is the Clayton gator? Does he have 4 legs???

Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,408 times
I've heard we've got mudcats in the Zebulon area.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:03 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Well, up in Northern New Jersey, we just had our first unannounced visit of the year, from a very large black bear and her cub out in our backyard yesterday. Scares me that my kids may be outside playing during a visit. Anyway, looking in Clayton, and hopefully moving in the near future, what may I expect to see traveling through my neighborhood or backyard? What kind of wild visitors do North Carolina residents have near their homes?
When I was a teenager living in the Poconos, I heard a noise on the front steps of my house. So I went and opened up the door, and there was a blackbear standing in front of me face to face. Our faces were about 2 feet apart, and was separated by only a screen. We stared at each other for about 20 seconds (he was apparently as shocked as I was), and then the bear slowly turned around and walked away.

It was a surreal experience staring into the eyes of a black bear.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:48 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
There's bears in north carolina too, and more than you'd expect in the forests near the coast (croatan). They will occasionally move inland.

Also coyotes, fox and bobcat in the area. Numerous but rarely seen.

However, I'd worry more about your kids getting into the fire ant piles that seem to have begun popping up rather than a large mammal other than your neighbors dogs.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
There's bears in north carolina too, and more than you'd expect in the forests near the coast (croatan). They will occasionally move inland.

Also coyotes, fox and bobcat in the area. Numerous but rarely seen.

However, I'd worry more about your kids getting into the fire ant piles that seem to have begun popping up rather than a large mammal other than your neighbors dogs.
What are fire ants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary