Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:53 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,595 times

Advertisements

Great schools.com has the school listed as a "10", a School of Excellence. We are close to committing to sending our rising freshman to GH after 4 years in parochial school. Cost is a factor; so is his academic course load (he would do great in either place).

Primarily, we are concerned about the various sources in the community always referring to GHHS as "Green Dope" and the reputation it has as a more-than-average haven for drug users.

We are not naive. I carried a pitchfork in HS in the '70s. My wife was a saint. I would like to be spared the admonishments from well-intentioned respondents that "drugs are everywhere" and "you can't avoid them" and "you have to be the parent", etc. We know all that. Also, I don't want to be painted as a hypocrite. Thanks.

Our older son attends Cardinal Gibbons HS and smells weed on his way into the building most mornings. We know it's there, too, but we just wanna know HOW prevalent the problem is at GH and is anyone at all vigilant about it. The SRO? Any administrators? Is the whole reputation thing exaggerated?

Would love to hear from parents and current/former students/employees what they think?

Thanks for sharing your time and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 AM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,942 times
Wow -- that is surprising to me that kids would be smoking pot in the mornings before school! Doesn't school start pretty early? Do people really smoke pot at 7 AM on a regular basis? Even them bringing it to school is surprising. Can't that wait for the weekends if it is going to happen?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
In the 80's we smoked pot on school property underneath the portable classrooms...never got caught. This was not in NC, though. Just saying, don't be surprised. Kids are less likely to get caught at school than by their parents.

My husband works in a private school in the triangle. I know of at least one of his students who chose to leave GH because of the drug problem. She actually chose to graduate a year later rather than deal with the issues at GH. But that is just one person...

Old 06-01-2010, 06:45 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
In the 80's we smoked pot on school property underneath the portable classrooms...never got caught. This was not in NC, though. Just saying, don't be surprised. Kids are less likely to get caught at school than by their parents.

My husband works in a private school in the triangle. I know of at least one of his students who chose to leave GH because of the drug problem. She actually chose to graduate a year later rather than deal with the issues at GH. But that is just one person...

The student who left because of drug problems was either a drug user or an incredible goody two-shoes. Green Hope students test in the top percentile of schools in NC. If you have a smart child, they will do well at Green Hope.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 PM

50 posts, read 254,821 times
Both of my children are GHHS students, junior and senior. When my family first moved to this area, we chose GHHS district because of academic reason. Sometimes my children talk about drug-users in school but I don't know how accurate the story is because they also heard the story from their friends. What I know is GHHS has been a great school for both my children and their friends.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
Wow -- that is surprising to me that kids would be smoking pot in the mornings before school! Doesn't school start pretty early? Do people really smoke pot at 7 AM on a regular basis? Even them bringing it to school is surprising. Can't that wait for the weekends if it is going to happen?

I guess that's one reason they call it "dope". My naive boy has even seen it passed across the aisle. In the 70's I remember a few toking teachers in our smoking area; I have trouble envisioning these teachers today being, what, 65? 70? My my, what a time.

I am really grateful for the responses so far, hope there are more!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,383 times
GHHS has an outstanding band, if your son is musical. My kids went to a different WCPSS high school, but we enjoyed watching them perform at competitions!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,942 times
All that MJ must really enhance the kids appreciation of music!

Seriously, though, when I was in high school people did party hard but they also worked hard. Many did smoke pot and got pretty wasted at parties. But that did not happen on campus. People were focused when they were in the classroom. If you were caught with drugs you were expelled (it was a private school).

I'm pretty open-minded and do believe kids need to learn through experience but being stoned throughout the school day does not seem right

Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
An Marijuana drug problem is different form a cocaine/heroin drug problem. From what I'm gathering you can liken GH's problem to that of Agrestic High School

Old 06-02-2010, 05:29 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
An Marijuana drug problem is different form a cocaine/heroin drug problem. From what I'm gathering you can liken GH's problem to that of Agrestic High School
Totally different. I have not heard what kind of drugs are being used. I would be very concerned if it were cocaine/heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary