Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 AM

55 posts, read 192,563 times

Advertisements

I may be making a move from NV to Cary and have some questions.

1) Year around school - How does this work? I have kids, and for us now, Summer is a big thing...vacations, time off, etc... How does the year around school work? Sounds like it would be a grind for the kids, but I am not sure.

2) I have a potential job opportunity. I would go from making abount $85 to about $105k. Given that wife is stay at home, this is my only income. How would that bewith the cost of lving in Cary?

3) Homw prices...probably more what I'm asking re: question # 2.
What is the average home price in Cary? Nive neighborhood, 3 br, 2 ba, 2000 sq ft?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:12 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Quote:
1) Year around school - How does this work? I have kids, and for us now, Summer is a big thing...vacations, time off, etc... How does the year around school work? Sounds like it would be a grind for the kids, but I am not sure.
I'll try to help.

Many kids and families love the year round schedule. Students are in school the same amount of days as a traditional calendar. School is in session for 9 weeks then off for 3 weeks (tracked out). The drawback is if you have kids on different tracks. IIRC all high schools are on a traditional calendar.

Quote:
Year-Round Fact Sheet: Multi-track, year-round

Students attend 180 days on each track
Students stay with the same teacher the entire school year
The year is divided into four quarters with 45 days of instruction followed by 15-day breaks
Students and their teachers attend one of four tracks, each with its own 45/15 calendar
At any given time, three tracks of students and their teachers are in school and one track is on vacation
Each time students and their teachers return from a break, they move to another classroom
Teachers have the same number of planning days on year-round as traditional calendar
Students and teachers have the same holidays on year-round as traditional calendar
Here is the 2010 -2011 Calendar. The white blocks are when students are tracked out (no school). The orange blocks are student holidays (no school).

Year-Round Schools Resource Center

Old 06-07-2010, 09:32 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
As for income, my husband makes about 50k and I am a SAHM with four children. It's extremely tight, but we do get by and are able to put some money into savings. Houses start around $200k around here depending on what you want. You can find a decent house in the low 200's, but the majority of housing around here is much more expensive.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Thank you both, very helpful.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM

546 posts, read 1,679,142 times
While YR is not something that works for every family, I will say that having tried it my oldest son actually really enjoys YR. 9 weeks of school you know you're getting 3 weeks off. By the time 9 weeks has hit he is ready for a vacation. By the time his 3 weeks of vacation is up he's antsy to get back to school. There's no 9 weeks of summer vacation, true, but at least for our family, it works out well as he isnt bored after 3 weeks of vacation and waiting for school to start again.

I know it sounds awkward when you're not used to it, but I will say that we are very happily pleased. Also note, YR is not something your children have to do either. There is traditional calendar schools available too.

HTH!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Just curious.....I know Nevada was hit "HARD" by housing crisis....How is the job market faring out there...

Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM

westcoastbabe -

Just curious.....I know Nevada was hit "HARD" by housing crisis....How is the job market faring out there...

-----

Not so hot. My job is based on East Coast, so not really affected by that, but Nevada's economy has been really hammered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary