Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,720 times

Advertisements

Wasps might have invaded my Rapid City garage. Far more noticeably than before. If there is a nest, the only place I can imagine it would be is in the attic, unless 2 dozen of them all of the sudden decided to wander inside in the last 2 weeks. I don't think I should be to concerned since it's almost winter and all but the queen will die. For now I either swat them myself or the bug zapper injures them and I sweep them up and throw them away. I haven't climbed through the attic, but shined a light around and didn't see any evidence of a nest. I am hoping it is that time of year and something is attracting them inside the garage and it will pass. Anyone with the same problem have any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,894 times
They could just be trying to get into the warmth... this is the time of year that they will sneak into anywhere that is warm as they are dying outside...

Maybe you have a nest, but they could just be wandereres like you said!

Won't be long and they will all be goners!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:30 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times
UGH! We have them ALL OVER! So much so that it's hard to get into the house through the front when the sun is hitting it in the evening! I bought a trap last night to put at the farthest point away from the house in the front yard. I hope it works. Last night, there were about 40 or 50 of them on the front of my house!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
It seems they are worse than normal this fall. I have been going through spray in copious amounts.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,105 times
You folks would freak out in the South.

Paper Wasps are very common and abundant down here.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:26 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
You folks would freak out in the South.

Paper Wasps are very common and abundant down here.
That is one of the very reasons I won't live in the South! Lots of big, nasty bugs, humidity, oh, and let's not forget the snakes and alligators! Not for me, thanks! It takes more than I have in me to tolerate that stuff!

LOL! Don't get me wrong, I don't mind visiting the South, but I much prefer to live where I do! I will take the mountain lions, tornados and 6 foot snow drifts over Godzilla-sized mosquitoes, hurricanes and 6 foot cottonmouths any day!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
What she said. I had my first Mountain Lion encounter a couple weeks ago, it was rather exciting. Wasps, well haven't been stung yet this year.

If we had alligators I'd be hunting and eating them.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
That is one of the very reasons I won't live in the South! Lots of big, nasty bugs, humidity, oh, and let's not forget the snakes and alligators! Not for me, thanks! It takes more than I have in me to tolerate that stuff!

LOL! Don't get me wrong, I don't mind visiting the South, but I much prefer to live where I do! I will take the mountain lions, tornados and 6 foot snow drifts over Godzilla-sized mosquitoes, hurricanes and 6 foot cottonmouths any day!
You and me both!!!

I don't even have a strong desire to visit the south. If I got the opportunity I'd go and I'd enjoy it, but it's not a priority. If I want humidity, I'll just stay in Omaha! And yeah, about bugs...the flying roaches we have here freak me out. I'm not dealing with roaches the size of small dogs! LOL

Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
What she said. I had my first Mountain Lion encounter a couple weeks ago, it was rather exciting. Wasps, well haven't been stung yet this year.

If we had alligators I'd be hunting and eating them.

I'll be going OUT for dinner that night.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 AM

412 posts, read 958,374 times
Holy smokes, yes, we have those paper wasps everywhere. I'm trying to determine where the nest is and have a sinking feeling that they may have taken up residence in my dryer vent. Somehow they're getting into the basement. I whacked 3 of them today. They're tough as nails. It took multiple hard swats to finish them off.

Someone please tell me that they will all die when the first hard freeze comes and they won't be back in the dryer vent come spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City