Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:33 PM

458 posts, read 776,969 times

Advertisements

DannyBanany

I agree we need to be less dependent on fossil fuels. But stretching the truth about Polar Bears:

Australian TV Exposes 'Stranded Polar Bear' Global Warming Hoax | NewsBusters.org

and climate "In fact, the past ELEVEN DAYS it has been over 100 degrees in Rapid City" when in fact only 4 days in a row over 100 degrees and just in the 80's less than a week ago

NWS Rapid City, SD - Local Climate Information

makes Global Warming proponents look very desperate.

In fact the statement "this has never happened for this long EVER before" makes zero sense. How long have temperatures been recorded in Rapid City, maybe 100 years? Out of the millions of years of earths existence, we have only 100 years of weather history and you believe this is the warmest it has EVER been?

Last edited by Winkelman; 07-25-2007 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 06:32 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Winkelman-

Don't you believe that all of the smog, fossil fuel depletion, and our dependence on the automobile has led to SOME environmental changes?

For example, forests disappearing in the Rockies, earlier and more frequent strong hurricanes, the first hurricane ever in the Southern Hemisphere, severe droughts that are not just in one isolated place, melting of the permafrost, timberlines moving further up mountains... etc.

The only real catastrophies that I can recall from the Middle Ages is disease, isolated droughts, and famine.

What else could be the cause of all of this phenomena?
Open to thoughts.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:56 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ng-alaska.html

You'll find my thoughts of it on one of the last pages here.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:09 PM

"The only real catastrophies that I can recall from the Middle Ages is disease, isolated droughts, and famine".

You are correct. A warmer climate is both good for nature as well as people. The Middle Ages or MWP time frame was a big jump in prosperity in the world. Longer growing seasons, less deaths from the cold in winter.

"Don't you believe that all of the smog, fossil fuel depletion, and our dependence on the automobile has led to SOME environmental changes"?

Yes, pollution is bad for the environment. And the day that the planet is rid of fossil fuels will not come soon enough. But the leap from that to saying that "Climate Change" which is something that has gone on forever is currently being caused by humans is a big leap.

About hurricanes, we are now in the 2nd year down year. The water in the Atlantic is cooler and all the hysteria of one Katrina type year after another so far has not come true.

I heard someone on TV using the disaster of Katrina as an example of Global Warming. Katrina was a strong hurricane, like Carla in 1962 and many others. The disaster was the levies giving way and the horrible job that government on all levels dealt with it. It was primarily a man made disaster.

My opinion, the Sun has the biggest effect on the current climate. We are in a cycle of warmer weather, after a cycle of cooler than normal weather both from the 1940s-1970s and a larger cycle of cooler weather that began in the 1400's and an even larger cycle of warmer weather from the Ice Age. Our basis of what we consider "normal" is probably too low. Like I said before recorded weather info is only about 100 years old in the U.S. longer in Europe. There are also Urban Heat Islands in big cities that exaggerate the temperature increases. Another factor is a lack of major volcanic activity. Major eruptions dramatically cool the planet. Look at a chart of eruptions over the centuries and you will see what I mean.

We have also had major cool events this past year, most recently in the Southern Hemisphere that probably should not be happening if the planet is warming out of control:

First snow in Buenos Aires since 1918 - Breaking News - World - Breaking News

CHILL: Australia has coldest June since 1950... » Netscape.com

Newsvine - Icy weather - including snow - grips South Africa, claiming 22 lives

Maybe you have not heard of any of the above because the major media does not want to report anything that might confuse the issue of Global Warming.

I believe in what you want to do, it just really bothers me when the facts are twisted to sensationalize things.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:25 PM

18 posts, read 79,504 times
If you want to see the Real Facts about Global Warming.
Watch this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2332531355859226455&q=the+great+gl obal+warming+swindle (broken link)

Real Scientist's Not some insane Politician.

Anthony

Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 PM

I just clicked on the link and it is no longer their.
The Dems must off taken it off the web.
It was the best thing I have ever seen on global warming.
About an hour long.

If I find it I will post again.

Sorry about that,

Anthony

Old 07-25-2007, 09:43 PM

I think this is it.

The Great Global Warming Swindle

Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 AM

afpintek

Yes, that is an excellent movie. Every Al Gore devotee should see it.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:22 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ml#post1147226

Well, since cross posting is against the rules in the forum, I decided I'd be better off to put this in the weather forum. It's a list of people who seem to be "in the know" about the subject and if anyone is interested, check them out.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 AM

114 posts, read 572,593 times
GLobal warming is very real. It is dangerous over a fairly long period of time and not impacting most people much in short periods.

The climate of the earth is changing and it is due to greenhouse gasses. BUT, it's a continuing process and hasn't happened overnight - even if we start now to reduce them, it would take a couple of centuries to make a big impact.

That doesn't mean we can risk not doing anything - I'm just not sure what we can do about it.

Your views respected.
MajorHart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City