Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 08:07 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times

Advertisements

I looked at a house online on the border of box elder and RC.....nice home...but the property taxes on that house are $4000...I don't think so...way too high, these are Wisconsin, New Hampshire type property taxes. For a house in Box Elder?? No way...I don't have to worry about income taxes, so for me, it is all about property taxes and personal property taxes. SD has a break for disabled vets who are 100 P&T, but it still does not add up to that much for me and my circumstances. For those who are working, I guess it balances out, as far as not having to pay income taxes. Plus the houses are not great for the money you pay for homes in SD, imo. If you have a lower budget and want some acreage with that home. Places that have much newer, better quality homes with land, at much lower prices would be in states like KY, AR, WV, VA, SC...and etc...I am not against property taxes but I avoid places that have them at ridiculously high rates, plus one has to weigh out cost of utilities, which are not cheap either, in SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 08:17 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,908 times
^ You make some good points. I looked at buying property in the Hills and, yes, taxes were a concern but not enough of one to deter me. A move back to Colorado halted the plan but I would have done it of I could've stayed.

Housing prices aren't cheap in that region, nor is rent for the wages Rapid City generally offers. It come down to a factor that makes me love that area as well as where I live now: the quality of life and the recreational opportunities offered. I'll take lower wages and higher taxes or rent to live in a place I'm happy.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 PM

23 posts, read 49,657 times
Property taxes in Rapid City run about 2200 a year for a 200K home. You think that's high? Same house in the burbs of Chicago will run you over 6K. Sure you can always move to a **** hole town with nothing and pay less, no thank you.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-14-2014 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: language

Old 09-14-2014, 08:42 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
Yep. The ~$2,500 a year I save in property taxes in Colorado is about what I pay a year in income tax to the state. It balances out which is why I don't see why people complain.

The way I see it, property tax is more favorable because it generally goes back into the local community while income tax goes to the state. Oh, and the time saved only filing only one set of taxes. Regardless, SD and Rapid City are great places with a lot more going for them than many.
Great post. I often think people who do nothing but complain about property taxes in SD should move to Nebraska. That will cure them of their SD tax complaints!

Old 09-15-2014, 02:00 AM

the home I looked at online and spoke to a realtor about in Rapid City was about was built in 2011, on almost 2 acres....no landscaping, just on dirt sloping hill.....nice house, I was amazed to see such a nice, large, newer home sitting on a large parcel for only 230k....but then the realtor proceeded to tell me how I would need to bring in tons of topsoil, and hydro seed it....the cost I assume is high for all the landscaping that needs to be done, and yes, the house property taxes on that home were 4k....for 2013 tax year. Taxes over in Sioux Falls are getting higher and higher all the time as well.....I don't let that deter me entirely, but it is a major concern, especially when living in one of the lowest wage paying states in the USA. I don't like how the great state of SD is becoming a state with extremely high property taxes. The state of NE, like IA, in 2015 will be putting into law a 100 % full property tax exemption for 100 PT service connected veterans, Iowa just did that in July 2014. God bless those few states that give veterans who are disabled such a huge tax break. I hope SD follows suit one day, like NE and IA are doing. The other states that give 100 PT service connected vets a full exemption are FL, TX, NJ, SC, MD, MI, NM, AR, and now IA and in 2015, Nebraska will join that group. This only applies to 100 % PT veterans though. RC is still one of my fav areas in the USA though...

Old 09-15-2014, 04:24 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
the home I looked at online and spoke to a realtor about in Rapid City was about was built in 2011, on almost 2 acres....no landscaping, just on dirt sloping hill.....nice house, I was amazed to see such a nice, large, newer home sitting on a large parcel for only 230k....but then the realtor proceeded to tell me how I would need to bring in tons of topsoil, and hydro seed it....the cost I assume is high for all the landscaping that needs to be done, and yes, the house property taxes on that home were 4k....for 2013 tax year. Taxes over in Sioux Falls are getting higher and higher all the time as well.....I don't let that deter me entirely, but it is a major concern, especially when living in one of the lowest wage paying states in the USA. I don't like how the great state of SD is becoming a state with extremely high property taxes. The state of NE, like IA, in 2015 will be putting into law a 100 % full property tax exemption for 100 PT service connected veterans, Iowa just did that in July 2014. God bless those few states that give veterans who are disabled such a huge tax break. I hope SD follows suit one day, like NE and IA are doing. The other states that give 100 PT service connected vets a full exemption are FL, TX, NJ, SC, MD, MI, NM, AR, and now IA and in 2015, Nebraska will join that group. This only applies to 100 % PT veterans though. RC is still one of my fav areas in the USA though...
You understand that the lowest wage state is due to vast rural areas and a couple of the poorest tribal resverations where there is very little economic activity. The resverations are the main reason for the lowest wage.

Yes, by comparison wages are lower here compared to other areas. Don't confuse the poverty with the region being poor.

If you want a good wage go to Williston. There is no reason for certain groups of people to be exempt from property tax. None at all. If you want your property tax refunded, go to Nebraska or go to Iowa. It won't happen in South Dakota.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:58 AM

481 posts, read 1,300,908 times
Annual State-Local Tax Burden Ranking FY 2011 | Tax Foundation

Here's something South Dakota can be proud of. It has the third lowest overall tax burden of any state based on income. Only Wyoming and Alaska have lower. Good job SD! I loved the state when I lived there and am now a little more jealous I no longer do.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:15 AM

23 posts, read 49,657 times
Box Elder does have higher taxes vs Rapid City no doubt. Though making a judgement on the entire state because of high taxes for one home in Box Elder is a little crazy don't you think? You can look at listings for homes for sale online and see what the property taxes are BEFORE looking at the home and other important things like if it's in a flood zone etc. We bought a home a few years ago on the West side of Rapid City, 2880 sq. feet, large lot, established wonderful neighborhood. Property taxes are just over 2K a year.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:50 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidsam View Post
Box Elder does have higher taxes vs Rapid City no doubt. Though making a judgement on the entire state because of high taxes for one home in Box Elder is a little crazy don't you think? You can look at listings for homes for sale online and see what the property taxes are BEFORE looking at the home and other important things like if it's in a flood zone etc. We bought a home a few years ago on the West side of Rapid City, 2880 sq. feet, large lot, established wonderful neighborhood. Property taxes are just over 2K a year.
The property taxes are set by the county and school district. Property taxes fund the schools and counties. Personally, I strongly dislike Box Elder.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:18 PM

the house sits on the border of box elder and rc....hence the taxes are reflecting the property taxes to be found in box elder....as to why the taxes are higher the say in RC. Either way, my situation is different as a service connected vet....with a VA service connected pension, for us types....we don't worry about income tax, we have to concern ourselves about property taxes and utility rates.....where as folks who are working, would concern themselves with income tax, not the case for us service connected vets. For me, I would have to wind up in very rural areas of SD, that have very low property taxes....like maybe places like Dakota Dunes or Vermillion and etc....other wise, SD is not a good state for disabled vets, who get much more generous property tax relief in other states. As well, there are no caps to property taxes in SD, I assume they will continue to rise and rise....imo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City