Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The pond by New Underwood is Curlew. It is still very popular.
That's it!!!!! Drank a lot of beer and drowned a lot of worms. hahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 07:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That's it!!!!! Drank a lot of beer and drowned a lot of worms. hahahaha
The tradition is going.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:18 PM

17 posts, read 31,142 times
Thank you so much guys. I'm glad I got myself a gps to find my way around. I love exploring and the outdoors and the seasons! If only there was enough time and $ to read, and do and go everywhere and do everything...

Last edited by skw1rl; 10-05-2014 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Adding more thoughts...

Old 10-06-2014, 09:06 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
As much as I like reading, this is an instance where going out and trying various things is best.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:03 AM

125 posts, read 184,484 times
I pretty much just flyfish the creek. I do fish it with worms when I take my kids out though. I've found the fishing to be best from the civic center upstream. Although you can catch fish further downstream, especially in the winter. I fish it all year round and while the fishing isn't quite as hot in the winter you can still catch fish.

You have to remember that the fish in the creek in town can be fairly picky. The water is a fairly constant temp all year and they have plenty of food. When you're flyfishing it's pretty important to accurately match the type of insects that might be found at that time of year.

I'll give you a tip about fishing for trout. They usually won't eat anything that isn't naturally drifting through the water. If you're fishing worms just use a couple of small split shot above the hook, cast upstream, and let the worm drift downstream naturally.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:34 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,988 times
I have a small #1 Meps spinner. I have not found a creek in the hills where the trout won't hit it. It is gold and orange with some deep red - has similar colors as a crawfish. I use it in the tiniest of streams to Rapid Creek. I real it in against the current, don't let my shadow touch the water, don't ruffle the grass and trees near the edge, step softly to not vibrate the ground, stay low when near the water, and in the event I am wading in the creek I cast as far away from myself as possible. Fast moving water is ok, especially if it has a few undercut areas or rocks that have a pooling or backcurrent. You only get 2 casts into one area, and then you have to move on not returning to any specific spot until at least 10 minutes have past. Many spinners work but that one is a doosy, it has caught hundreds of trout in the last 20 years while many others have come and gone. In the open lakes it only works on occasion. If you see a trout dart off, well, forget that spot for a good 10 minutes, that means they've seen you and the games up with those fish for a bit.

In the rare occasion the spinner isn't working I'll toss in a worm on a decent sized hook - little to no weight, no bobber and just let it float downstream to what I suspect will be a sweet spot. I use the larger hook to help avoid a little 6 incher from swallowing it. I usually step away from my rod and gaze at the clouds or drink beer and check it every so often.

My wife prefers a clear bobber with a 2ft leader, and a little fly she calls the wooly bugger. she reals it gently with only the occassional tug, and it works in streams, ponds and lakes. But man that fly is tiny and hooking one takes a special touch that she has and I do not.

If its 95 for more than a day or 2 in a row, hit the bottom of a deep lake with whatever bait is working that day. The heat seems to slow shallow water and surface activity.

Geez what am I doing - ahh it don't matter too much - many of the spots I hit take a serious hike and willingness to trudge thru marshy and overgrown areas and require one to be able to cast 30ft into a 2'x2' spot without hanging up your line on all the vegetation. The fish will still be there while the traffic will be nil.

The streams can be hard on line so I use a slightly higher test than would seem necessary, but the rocks, sticks and such can be hard on things plus if you hit a 3 pounder in fast moving water 4 pound test may not be enough. I also use a high action pole that is also short to help navigate tight areas and still have good action for casting.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:02 PM

Wow! Thank so much for your tips Chops00 and eric#1. They are very helpful. Can't wait to try these out? Tight Lines everyone!

Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 PM

Hi Everyone, I just finished having baked trout today! I caught 5 brownies today but released one of them, it was too small. Went to Memorial Park and fished the creek and used a technique that I learned at the in-fisherman website on how to put the worm on the hook. I guess I been doin it wrong and that's why I wasn't catching anything One of them had a bunch of eggs. I saved them so I could figure out what I could do with them... maybe bait?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:26 PM

23 posts, read 49,669 times
I had dilled meatballs today.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:11 AM

lol rapidsam, those sound good too. I just happened to use dill, and some thyme, and lemon and onions when I baked the trout and it came out delish especially eating our catch of the day. (Well, actually I indulged, my DH doesn't eat fish. He enjoys catching them though.)

I wanted to give more details about today, or actually yesterday now that I look at the time. We went to Memorial Park this afternoon. I set up my hook with a nightcrawler and cast into the pond itself; my DH used a lure in the pond also. After abt half an hr with no response except for some nibbles on my worm. We decided to try the creek and actually put the waders we wearing to some use. I changed to a lure and DH set up with a nightcrawler. We actually went into the middle of creek this time and my DH got one within about ten min! Well, I changed back to using a worm and sure enough got one too! So, we both stuck with using the nightcrawlers and caught a couple more. Yayy! Finally! Today was the best fishing since I have been here! I wanna try everywhere I have been trying before now!

We had just got our waders and finally put them to some use and got real results. The waders were fun to wear too. Being in the middle of creek and not getting wet and staying warm was very cool but kinda scary. The rocks are kinda slippery, and I'm afraid of falling in the water but it's still fun and risky feeling. What's gonna happen if I do fall? I may get wet but I'm not really afraid of that and I know how to swim and stay afloat....

I had such a good day today! It just reinforced why I LOVE to Fish! <3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City