Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:26 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,864,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
People might want to know. All wheel drive means that ONE wheel, computer selected to give the best possible selection, has power to the road. Good on light snow (2-4 inches), or ice. But its not like 4 wheel drive that has 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel with power to the road, which can handle heavy snow (4-12 inches). If you have posi track, like my truck, front and back, its the ultimate.
My 3/4 ton Chevrolet has 4x4 and a locking rear differential. The first time the rear end locked up I thought I blew the whole thing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,133,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
My 3/4 ton Chevrolet has 4x4 and a locking rear differential. The first time the rear end locked up I thought I blew the whole thing up.
Mine is true locked posi. Solid, not just when I get wheel spin. It takes some getting used to,, but when you have some experience with it, there's nothing better. I've been in snow deep enough it boiled over the hood, I never even spuun a tire. Imagine what it does when I chain it front and back. I've even chained one tire front drivers side and one rear drivers side because it had rained and froze. I was having trouble staying on the crown of the road.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:39 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,864,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Mine is true locked posi. Solid, not just when I get wheel spin. It takes some getting used to,, but when you have some experience with it, there's nothing better. I've been in snow deep enough it boiled over the hood, I never even spuun a tire. Imagine what it does when I chain it front and back. I've even chained one tire front drivers side and one rear drivers side because it had rained and froze. I was having trouble staying on the crown of the road.
I read up on the locking differential in the owners manual. I tested it out last April above Deerfield. I buried that pickup on a gravel road. I spent about 45 minutes digging out. Then a couple of turkey hunters came across us. They pulled me out. Then they blazed through and and followed. Albeit soaked wet and cold, but no worse for wear.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:54 PM

83 posts, read 140,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you will be driving a substantial amount of time on snow or icy winter conditions you might want to watch some Youtube videos of side by side comparisons of snow tires vs all season tires,then come to your own conclusion.
I live in Canada,we get lots of snow,Nov 1 every year i put on the snow tires,April 1 i put on the summer tires.
I'm usually carrying a very valuable cargo so i want as much safety advantage as i can afford.Winter tires arent that expensive.
I believe in Canada you are mandated to put on snow tires. I live in the Rockies and we have had winters where we got 500 inches of snow. I have a 4wd truck neither it nor my 4wd Yukon XL ever run on anything other than all season tires. They have done me well for 10 years. Now if I had a 2wd up here, I agree snow, tires for our conditions. That being said, my husband just weathered his first winter in WY and said it was a bit icier, but the amount of snow did not warrent snow tires.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,890,148 times
I live in northern New England. We have has about 10 feet of snow this winter. I have Nokian snow tires on my Subaru and my Buick sedan in the winter. I use summer tires when the temperatures get consistently above 40 deg F. Higher road temperatures cause high wear rates on winter tires. As most driving, even in winter, is done on bare pavement the stickiness of the tires is the major factor in determining traction. Tread form is the rest.

Remember the tires are the only part of your car that touches the road. A few hundred dollars for Winter tires is cheap insurance for the times the roads get really bad.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,653 times
My husband had all season tires until he hit ice. We now have studs on all our vehicles from October to May. Easier and safer for us old timers. Plus we live on a hill that gets so dicey the sand trucks won't come up when it's iced over.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:31 PM

21 posts, read 39,942 times
You can't beat a set of Blizaks! (Made by Bridgestone). Used them in Alaska and my little 4cyl would break trail, and I kept them on my car year-round....BUT I learned when I moved to Rapid that they won't last in the summer heat here - the roads get too hot.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:39 PM

432 posts, read 979,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Where do you live and drive?

uh
I live west of Rapid on Nemo road.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:04 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,862,165 times
Yes, All season tires will be just fine. That is what I use. I live in Hot Springs and drive to and around Rapid whenever and wherever I want.

uh

Old 09-28-2015, 06:47 PM

529 posts, read 513,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimondwillo View Post
You can't beat a set of Blizaks! (Made by Bridgestone). Used them in Alaska and my little 4cyl would break trail, and I kept them on my car year-round....BUT I learned when I moved to Rapid that they won't last in the summer heat here - the roads get too hot.
I put Blizzaks on a FWD Civid and was able to easily get up the SD 44 hill westof Rapid City snow and ice. There is no way I would drive in the winter without snow tires. You never know when the storms can hit. Weather is very unpredictable there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City