Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 09:04 AM

17 posts, read 65,445 times

Advertisements

What are winter road conditions like in RC, and in the Hills? Temperatures there seem to create ideal conditions for black ice. Is this true? Is it pretty common through the winter months to get a dusting of snow at night, then warming and melting during the day? If so, how does the State respond to these conditions? Do they get out there early in the morning with gravel trucks? Are they also laying down salt? My 17 yo will be driving a front wheel drive car, I worry about this boy! I'm hoping studded tires and a few hundred pounds in the trunk will keep my car safe? Are studs allowed, and if so what months?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 09:14 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
In town, shouldn't be a problem. But out in the hills, you can encounter ice.

I used to live about 18 miles West of Rapid out 44. Drove in to school every day. It was either snow covered, slush, or dry. One thing we did have to watch out for is Shady spots on the highway. If it was in the shade, it could have ice. So we just slowed down a little extra for those areas. Wasn't really a problem.

Has he driven on snow and ice before?

Studded tires. I ran them one year and was never so happy to see summer come around so I could pull all the studs out. That was in 69 or 70. I've never run studded tires since then. I found that in some cases, during a hard freeze, they help you skate. Slowing down and being careful did a much better job. I don't know if they have restricted months to run studs. I checked the DOT website and they don't even mention them.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 AM

19,725 posts, read 10,500,557 times
studded tires need to be off by April 1st[I think]...can put on Nov. 1st....the last time I drove on studded tires was winter of 96&97, when Huron & Forestburg had over 90'' of snow & alot of ice

Old 05-30-2008, 01:09 PM

Default sorry for the unseasonal thread..

Yes EH, he does have a little experience driving during the winter, but never enough to calm my nerves. What about throwing a few hundred pounds of sandbags in the trunk in a front wheel drive sedan? Not necessary? Do others in RC do this? Up here in AK most do it to prevent the back end of the vehicle from whipping around since there's no weight back there. I'm beginning to wonder if the winters in the Black Hills are not as bad as I'm predicting? I know they can be, but in general, maybe not. We will be arriving right after rally week so I'm already trying to plan for next winter.

How about salt on the roads? Up here occasionally when conditions call for it they will gravel with salt mixed in, but the rest of the time it's just gravel. Windshields normally don't live past 5 years.

Good Lord. 90 inches of snow. That's time to break out the chains.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:45 PM

46 posts, read 116,796 times
I don't think you really need shade for black ice. I hit the ditch in the middle of the prairie, took out a fence, & popped 2 tires. Not paying close enough attention was the problem. I have never used studded tires, but I don't drive in the hills and rarely drive out of town in the winter anymore. I am to old before my time. Just felt like chatting. $.02's

Old 05-30-2008, 08:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Yes, it never hurts to throw some weight in the trunk.

When I grew up there, I had a 1955 Chevy Car. I would take a couple innertubes and cut them in half. Take a half, tie one end tight with bailing wire. Fill it full of sand and tie the other end. I would do that to all 4 pieces I had. Then throw two over the wheel well in the trunk on each side.

It gave me added weight, course I was rear wheel drive. But if I got onto some ice and got stuck, I could untie one end of an innertube piece and throw sand under my tires.

Worked great all winter.

Like I say, he shouldn't have too much trouble in town, with ice. It's mainly the shady spots out on the hills highways. Spent about 6 years driving into town from out at Johnson's Siding. Never did put it in the ditch. Was always careful.

If he's going to school in Rapid, there shouldn't be a real need to travel in the hills unless it's for leisure. If that's the case, if the weather is doubtful, put off the trip til next week. Hills ain't going no where. haha

Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 PM

Your right smitter, black ice can be anywhere. Spring and fall create the worst road conditions up here in Alaska. The snow will melt during the day and then freeze at night. I can't tell you how many vehicles I've pulled out of the ditch on my way to work. South Dakota winters seem to fluctuate above and below 32 degrees throughout the winter, and I'm planning on finding a home in the hills.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 PM

I would take a couple innertubes and cut them in half. Take a half, tie one end tight with bailing wire. Fill it full of sand and tie the other end. I would do that to all 4 pieces I had. Then throw two over the wheel well in the trunk on each side.

EH, that is great idea! Wish I would have known that back in 93'. Intertubes are reusable and can last for years not to mention the sand won't get wet and turn into a frozen brick. My friends are gonna love this one. Thanks EH

Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,719,767 times
I drive in Rapid City and the Black Hills everyday and I've never skidded off the road nor been in a weather-related accident. I have an '04 Honda Accord and a '99 Mitsubishi Montero SUV. I just put about 200 lbs in the back of the SUV and problem solved. Rapid City is also very good about putting chemicals and gravel on the roads. One bad part, the chemicals are very powerful and some cars had paint and rusting issues a few years back. The city had a handful of lawsuits.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:40 AM

189 posts, read 564,679 times
i see sand being used in places. also snowplows do lots of work. watch out for pedestrians and animals,please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City