Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM

21 posts, read 39,899 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Rapid with my 7 yr old son and I would like to move out of the "city" into a less congested area. I see a home for sale in Hill City and I love the idea of living in the Hills. Any thoughts on that area and raising a child there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 01:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,857,761 times
The countryside is beautiful around Hill City. The town is in the heart of tourist country so it gets a little busy in the summertime, but I love tourist country in the off season. You have all those resturants and other services all to yourself. I know next to nothing about the school system there. Seasonal employment should be easy to find. Good Luck

uh

Old 04-05-2016, 05:14 PM

Thank you for your input. I just love it up there. I'm retired with a 7-yr-old boy and I think it would be a perfect place for us. The schools are smaller which is my preference. He's already coming home saying the kids will make fun of him if he wears or doesn't wear certain clothes - in the first grade!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:12 PM

415 posts, read 973,690 times
Consider the schools as that is where your kid is going to be for a lot of the time. There is one grade school, one middle school and one high school. They are not going to have what schools have in bigger districts. If your kid has issues it will be harder to deal with. For example, what if he just hates the 2nd grade teacher? If they only have one, you are pretty much stuck. I would check out the school really well before moving.

Secondly, there are plenty of homes close to Rapid City yet out in the woods. Look out Nemo Road, Highway 44 and Highway 16. It is really necessary to move so far away to get what you want in the way of "living in the hills."

Third, jobs. The smaller the town the less selection of jobs. Or were you going to live in Hill City and commute to Rapid City? Long commutes get to be a pain, specially in the winter.

Lastly, have you given up on dating? (You do not mention a spouse.) There are a lot more single people in Rapid City than in Hill City. Consider that.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:07 AM

Thank you so much for your thoughts. We are pretty much committed to Hill City now that we have a home under contract. It's got woods behind it, yet it's within the city and easy access to everything. It's an easy commute to Rapid if we need to go in for anything, but we won't be commuting on a regular basis. Hopefully, the schools won't be an issue. On the plus side, they are smaller in terms of number of students. So far, I have heard nothing negative about Hill City. Having lived in Alaska, the small town appeals to me as Rapid is growing at a pretty fast pace. As far as dating goes, I think I already have my hands full. But thank you again for all of your input. We're excited about our move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City