Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,014 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am very interested in moving to Rapid City within the next year. I'm from a small town in CA and needless to say its not small anymore! Overrun with homeless or snotty rich guys, there is no middle class. I miss the small town feel and the overall quality of life is not good, not to mention housing, utilities, taxes (the list goes on...) is very unaffordable. I've lived in CO before so winter snow/cold is not a problem. Id love some insight on the economy (is it growing?), rental housing qualities/affordability and overall quality of life maybe you fellow Californians have experienced when relocating. I've read other forums and can't seem to find anything wrong with Rapid City except the low wages. Are these wages enough to live comfortably? What are considered the "good" parts of town?

I do appreciate any insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 09:36 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
You probably have picked a good target for what you want. This forum isn't too active. Check out past threads.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overCA View Post
Hello!

I am very interested in moving to Rapid City within the next year. I'm from a small town in CA and needless to say its not small anymore! Overrun with homeless or snotty rich guys, there is no middle class. I miss the small town feel and the overall quality of life is not good, not to mention housing, utilities, taxes (the list goes on...) is very unaffordable. I've lived in CO before so winter snow/cold is not a problem. Id love some insight on the economy (is it growing?), rental housing qualities/affordability and overall quality of life maybe you fellow Californians have experienced when relocating. I've read other forums and can't seem to find anything wrong with Rapid City except the low wages. Are these wages enough to live comfortably? What are considered the "good" parts of town?

I do appreciate any insight

Bring money, leave baggage behind and don't try to change things. Oh, and find a rental for a couple of years. If you don't like the neighbors, you can move. Can't move a home

Old 08-01-2018, 11:48 AM

125 posts, read 184,421 times
Rents seem high in Rapid for what you get and the area in general. But compared to CA they'll seem like a bargain. Finding pet friendly rentals is very difficult.

The economy here is OK, not great but relatively stable. There are limited professional jobs but plenty of openings in the service sector.

I'd also offer a different viewpoint that bringing change to South Dakota could be a good thing. There are many things to like about South Dakota but the state could also benefit from a greater diversity of people and ideas.

Best of luck with the move.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,857,159 times
I would echo most of what Chops posted. Wages in Rapid are low by national standards, but housing is also low cost by national standards. How much you earn depends, of course, on your skill level or education level. The economy is strong and growing. There is a considerable amount of construction going on and delivery trucks can't seem to keep up with the work load. Most of the people are friendly and welcoming.

uh

Old 08-01-2018, 11:21 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
The cost of living is low and so are the wages. There is a tourism economy in west river and some light manufacturing but mostly it's ranchland dominated. If you want to make money, you probably need to start a business there. If you don't mind coasting, then there's lots of jobs that will take you there. Unemployment is very low. Working is expected.

The big difference is that people work to develop their communities and play different roles. It's not nearly as specialized as California. Whether that's good or bad depends on the type of person you are, but don't be afraid to try some things that are new or seem incredibly boring from the onset. You might just find yourself having a great time.

There will be culture shock. Take any instance of where you are tempted to explain why California is better than South Dakota and swallow it down. It will take a bit to understand why things are the way they are, but it's a great place.

Congrats on the decision. I hope it works out well for you.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,014 times
Thanks guys! Definitely ready for a change from CA life. : ) Appreciate your insight!

Old 09-16-2018, 08:31 PM

21 posts, read 19,271 times
I moved to the Hills from NYC 3 year ago, almost 4. I was so over the urban thing, I buried myself in the country, at the southern end of the Hills (Hot Springs). While pretty, it is a retirement community for a reason. So I started my own practice in Rapid, where I am buying a home. I have been in Rapid professionally now for 1.5 years. I love it there. I discovered it to be the perfect spot for somewho wants te ameni, growth and prosperity that you find in metropolitan areas, without the hassles associated with it. Low wages are real but it depends on your skill set what your economic prospects are. If you can start a business, for instancex there is a favorabke population to competition ratio, for many industries. It really depends on you.

Forgot to say: My first attempt to escape from NY, I moved to SoCal (San Diego) for a couple years. The pacific coast is beautiful but I didn’t like it otherwise. I really love it here. I totally feel like I belong here. Rapid is growing and thriving. Its an exciting place to be in, right now.

Last edited by Nycrefugee2015; 09-16-2018 at 08:45 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 02:11 AM

414 posts, read 973,321 times
Rapid City is full of friendly helpful people. They will bend over backwards to help. Leave your California attitudes behind because they will not put up with snobs, those who demand or those who feel entitled. Such as shown by your crack about low wages.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:52 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Default Allergies?

Sometimes I read when people relocate to an area, they can get bombarded with allergies. I take over the counter meds, and occasionally have to use inhalers for mild asthma. I'm wondering how bad they are in the Rapid City area, and if you acclimate to them?

Sorry for the weird question.
But Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City