Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 06:01 PM

16 posts, read 37,717 times

Advertisements

Hello all! The SD thread has been so helpful to me and everyone seems so friendly so please accept my thank-yous ahead of time. I am trying to find information on finding a rental in Hill City or Custer. Is there an online classified I can't find or perhaps a property management firm? I know they will be nearly non-existant but I thought I would try to see what I could find. Is a daily commute from Rapid City to Hill City unrealistic? We will be looking for land to build on once we get there and settled, but saving gas would be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 06:56 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,881 times
I think if you are looking for vacation homes there is a black hills vacation home site....Black Hills Vacation Homes but I think you are looking for more an home/apartment rental thing? You may try the Rapid City Journal webpage, or the City Rapid City webpage or trying calling the Visitor Bureau or Chamber of Commerce, if they don't have the info they can probably direct you to the right people. I think a drive from Hill City to Rapid is doable but not for too long, I think there are a bunch of people who do it but in the winter it may get iffy....I think its about 30-45 minute drive but people who live out there may be more exact.....Hope this helps!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Hi Jeshan, Hill City does have a newspaper. It's the "Hill City Prevailer". You could check that and also the Black Hills Pioneer MIGHT have something in there. The Rapid City Journal could be your best bet.

Like Deadwood said, the Hill City/Rapid City drive wouldn't be totally unrealistic, but I wouldn't do it. It's hard to tell what the roads will be like in the wintertime so that's something to consider.

Welcome to the forum and to South Dakota! Where are you living now?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:12 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
The drive between Rapid City and Hill City is pretty short but you have to remember that the elevation is much higher in Hill City so an uphill drive on windy mountain roads in the wintertime is something that you'll have to deal with a lot. On a nice day it's actually a very nice drive.

Check the RC Journal for rentals. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2009, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I will call the chamber this week and see if they could help and perhaps we will just have to commute for a little bit. We are coming from Cody Wyoming, so we know how winter driving can be! I will keep my eye out when I scour the RC Journal too!

Old 05-10-2009, 06:53 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Central and Southern hills doesn't always get the snows that the northern hills get. HWY 16 is well traveled and 4 lane for most of the way.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeshan View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I will call the chamber this week and see if they could help and perhaps we will just have to commute for a little bit. We are coming from Cody Wyoming, so we know how winter driving can be! I will keep my eye out when I scour the RC Journal too!
OK, so then I wanna change my reply. Personally, I don't like driving in the snow and ice, but if you're from an area and already used to it, it'd probably be do-able. I didn't see where you were from and many people just aren't familiar with snow/ice.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:14 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,382 times
Jeshan, Here is a link:
Search Hill City, Custer, Rapid City Real Estate Listings For Sale (http://www.yourblackhillsexpert.com/Hill_City_SD_Black_Hills_SD_listings/Vacation_Rental_listings.shtml - broken link)

Central Hills Real Estate, Inc.

Both are based in Hill City. The first link contains "vacation rentals". I wasn't sure if you were looking for a house/apartment to rent, or a seasonal/vacation type of rental.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 PM

See.. this is partly why I want to move to South Dakota! Everyone is so helpful and so nice! I will check those out right away MJ-Thanks! Hopefully I can soon call SD home and help others too!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 PM

267 posts, read 898,229 times
I've got 4 people in my building who commute in from Hill City (and beyond) every day to work. I'd say last year, they only missed maybe 4 days of work more than I did for weather. That's considering the fact that pretty much everyone in my building is allowed to work from home and still get paid - one lady makes it in from Hill city in weather that I stay home in - and I live 2 miles from my office!! If you're used to it, its very doable. I don't know about finding rentals, but thought I'd share my experience with people who live out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City