Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 09:02 AM

819 posts, read 1,744,024 times

Advertisements

Iam making our final road trip plans. I know how were coming up to north to platte ne. but after that Iam not sure whats the fastest or the safest is.Ill be pulling a large trailer with my tahoe plus my sweetys car full of kids I mean teens.we could go up 83 to 90 or head head west on 80 to26 to383to hot springs to79 into rapid city.whatca think. oh yeh I GEW UP JUST OUT SIDE DAYTONA BEACH.I have not missed bike week since the 70s. in daytona I always heard about the blackhills rally. Its been a dream to make one year. now me and my ole lady just kidding honey will be living right inthe middle of this thing.we sold our airboat maybe its time for a new bike.see ya soon.ps I started going to datona with my dad when I was 6yrs we always talked about how one day we would make the big rally I wish he lived long enough to make it with me. miss you dad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 AM

Default hi agian

how do I contact some one on my friend list?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Good luck with your trip. I hope all goes well. I'm happy for you cause you sound so excited.

We've been to Daytona Beach, too. We've never been to bike week there OR even in Sturgis, if you can believe that.

But about your question~just click on the name of the person you want to contact. It will give you options such as "DM", some people have "email" enabled, etc. Whichever option you choose, your letter will pop up.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Should be highway 385 to Hot Springs. That would be an okay route. 83 to I90 might be a slightly better route... Well its 6 one way half a dozen the other.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 PM

53 posts, read 205,566 times
We've taken 385 from Burlington CO going north and it's a safe route, plenty of areas to stop and it's quite a bit faster than the 83 to I90 route, roughly 100 miles less. You can always stop off in Alliance, NE and see Carhenge too.

Daytona Beach is great! I haven't done the rally, but we went to the Daytona 500 two years ago....I'd recommend going at least once!

Be safe on your trip and watch it around Childress, TX(near 83 and 287).....speed traps galore there.

You'll like the Sturgis rally. Just be careful driving around the Black Hills as there always seems to be multiple wrecks each day during that time of year.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txchief View Post
We've taken 385 from Burlington CO going north and it's a safe route, plenty of areas to stop and it's quite a bit faster than the 83 to I90 route, roughly 100 miles less. You can always stop off in Alliance, NE and see Carhenge too.

Daytona Beach is great! I haven't done the rally, but we went to the Daytona 500 two years ago....I'd recommend going at least once!

Be safe on your trip and watch it around Childress, TX(near 83 and 287).....speed traps galore there.

You'll like the Sturgis rally. Just be careful driving around the Black Hills as there always seems to be multiple wrecks each day during that time of year.
Excellent points. Rally time is a bad time to learn to ride. If you have some miles under you the hills are an excellent place to ride.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Default cool beans

I have riden for years. I just got away from it when we got our airboat.it was cool going to these back woods fishcamps. the bikers like these old camps to. the airboaters would check out the bikes and they would check out our boats and talk about getting out into the wind over some gator tail and swamp cabbage.oh yeh plenty of cold brew as well.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 PM

On an airboat once. Down in Florida years ago. On the gulf coast. My ears rang for days. I was wearing hear protection too.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:34 PM

Default very loud

Ive pissed off some people with the boat. it had a 468 chevy big block with open headers that was the quiet part the prop made all the noise. and Ive blew people clean out of the back of their trucks.when they did not belive me when I TOLD THEM THIS WOULD HAPPEN. most of them were drunk didnt feel a thing Iam sure.I MISS MY OLD BOAT.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,149,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboatbill View Post
Iam making our final road trip plans. I know how were coming up to north to platte ne. but after that Iam not sure whats the fastest or the safest is.Ill be pulling a large trailer with my tahoe plus my sweetys car full of kids I mean teens.we could go up 83 to 90 or head head west on 80 to26 to383to hot springs to79 into rapid city.whatca think. oh yeh I GEW UP JUST OUT SIDE DAYTONA BEACH.I have not missed bike week since the 70s. in daytona I always heard about the blackhills rally. Its been a dream to make one year. now me and my ole lady just kidding honey will be living right inthe middle of this thing.we sold our airboat maybe its time for a new bike.see ya soon.ps I started going to datona with my dad when I was 6yrs we always talked about how one day we would make the big rally I wish he lived long enough to make it with me. miss you dad
The fastest way is taking 83 up to 90 then west to Rapid City. If you go on 80 to 26 and up 385 and 79, you will still have some desolation, but you will run into more towns and bigger towns along the way. Its probably not too much longer to go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City