Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 PM

451 posts, read 978,191 times

Advertisements

Hi LadmoFan - you did a great job. I was more curious about the Canyon Lake area specifically and you're right - I am sure someone will post to that (like are they city size lots or acres - I much prefer acres), but you gave a great recap on Rapid City (which is the first city we are set to visit). I have heard over and over how great the SD (both Rapid and Sioux Falls) people are and can't wait to see it for myself in person (I've already seen on this forum - terrific people). I'm conflicted as I do enjoy the mountains but I totally have had my fill of the desert (but that is AZ, RC western might just be a great fit as well and I do like the sound of the laid back attitude). I do also love what I've learned about Regional Med. as I am an RN. You've peaked my curiosity on the Canyon Lake area so it is going on the ever increasing list. Thanks so much for your reply - no throwing tomatoes from me as you wrote an awesome recap !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM

551 posts, read 1,594,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJTucson View Post
Hi LadmoFan - you did a great job. I was more curious about the Canyon Lake area specifically and you're right - I am sure someone will post to that (like are they city size lots or acres - I much prefer acres), but you gave a great recap on Rapid City (which is the first city we are set to visit). I have heard over and over how great the SD (both Rapid and Sioux Falls) people are and can't wait to see it for myself in person (I've already seen on this forum - terrific people). I'm conflicted as I do enjoy the mountains but I totally have had my fill of the desert (but that is AZ, RC western might just be a great fit as well and I do like the sound of the laid back attitude). I do also love what I've learned about Regional Med. as I am an RN. You've peaked my curiosity on the Canyon Lake area so it is going on the ever increasing list. Thanks so much for your reply - no throwing tomatoes from me as you wrote an awesome recap !!
Oh, I wandered off about the wonders of South Dakota.

Canyon Lake area is close to where my husband's family first farmed near Rapid City. So I guess it's kind of nostalgic thing. The area is one of the nicer places in Rapid City and it is on the way to Pactola, if I remember right.

No matter where you live in Rapid City, most areas are really nice, but the south side tends to be nicer than the north side. Did I remember that right?

As to Rapid City Regional, the medical staff there took wonderful care of my mother-in-law during her final illness. They took excellent care of her and her family too.

Rapid City Regional is a regional medical center with the other two major medical centers being located in Denver or Minneapolis. Again, this from memory.

Any way be prepared for lots of changing weather. It does snow in Rapid City. I remember one Thanksgiving watching the snowfall in Rapid City and the scene was quiet and beautiful. It was also very cold.

Another Thanksgiving it was close to 70 degrees outside. No snow that year. So the weather in Rapid and South Dakota is ever changing and unpredictable.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:57 PM

Oh LadmoFan - no worries. I read everything and I can't tell you how much I have learned from all these posts (and yours )!! I love that I hear the similar tone over and over on how awesome the people of SD are. We are originally from about 30 miles outside of Milwaukee and have lived most of our life there (except for AZ move due to a transfer ten years ago). I actually miss the weather and the winters. I would trade five months of winter for nine months of summer any day (air went on here in March and will probably not go off until November, like last year). We love the outdoors and love to hike (I have always loved to ski) - so a move north is what we can't wait for. Just need to sell the house and even that looks more promising day by day. Thanks so much for the added info on Canyon Lake. I agree on the acreage - just hoping that the proceeds from this house and working full time will someday yield that - where in SD that will be is still up for grabs !!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,735,976 times
AJ, you probably won't be able to find an acreage around Canyon Lake. Canyon Lake is a city lake with a city park around it and it's surrounded by neighborhoods and large homes built on cliffs. It's not navigable either unless by paddleboat. It's quite small but a nice, relaxing place to get away for a little while.

Pactola is a large reservoir about 20 minutes from Canyon Lake up in the Black Hills.

Ladmo, you pretty much hit the nail on the head, but BHSU is home to the Yellowjackets.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 PM

I thought it was the Weavers up in Spearfish but who knows...I am not the South Dakotan. Hubby dearest has been working his heart out so he can keep me up in the style I wish to become accustomed too. So he hasn't been around for me to ask these questions.

As to acreage, I am no expert on that either. I can suggest searching for some local real estate agents online and see what's out there. You can also check out realtor.com. There's also a web site called Home and Ranches or something like that. I did see about a quarter section of land, I think that was the amount, near Oral. Oral is on the flat and I think in the area called the "race track" of the Black Hills. Check with the SD locals not me about this.

Pactola is about 20 miles away from Rapid, I think. Again, check with the locals or Google maps.

I suspect you can find some really nice homes in the Rapid City area with modest acreage but again check with the locals.

I hope this is OK: http://www.homesandland.com/Real_Est...7702/Page.html

I am not a Realtor and I have never done business with these folks. But at least you can drool at the pretty pictures.

Wish I could be more help.

Last edited by LadmoFan; 09-09-2009 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: Correcting typo

Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 AM

OMG Ladmo - wonderful site for RC. You were a lot of help. I was going to kid you and say sure, I'll take the one for 1.8 million , then I looked further and I forgot the page but the house is on Knotty Pine La., 4.5 acres for 230K!!! This is looking more doable. You know, believe it or not I really do research both RC and SF a lot. However, just about every time I read these threads I learn so much more that I haven't found and I'll tell you again - wonderful link!!

Danny - thanks so much. I don't think I am a cliff dweller; long shifts plus navagating three ways to Sunday does not work for me . However, it is going to be high on my list to see Canyon Lake because once I looked at the area on Google Earth - it is really intriguing. We did a lot with paddle boats back in WI on the Fox River so it sounds like fun to hopefully rent one of those and scope it out. We'll definitely hit Pactola as well. Like I said, it has been dry as a darned bone and I need serious lake time.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM

We are looking for more modest housing. Don't want to spend all our money on a house. Unlike most Californians our house is not worth much. We live in an affordable housing area which translates to: We can sell this house for about $200,000. We'd like to put some money in the bank as a cushion as hubby is going to retire. I'm glad the link helped.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJTucson View Post
OMG Ladmo - wonderful site for RC. You were a lot of help. I was going to kid you and say sure, I'll take the one for 1.8 million , then I looked further and I forgot the page but the house is on Knotty Pine La., 4.5 acres for 230K!!! This is looking more doable. You know, believe it or not I really do research both RC and SF a lot. However, just about every time I read these threads I learn so much more that I haven't found and I'll tell you again - wonderful link!!

Danny - thanks so much. I don't think I am a cliff dweller; long shifts plus navagating three ways to Sunday does not work for me . However, it is going to be high on my list to see Canyon Lake because once I looked at the area on Google Earth - it is really intriguing. We did a lot with paddle boats back in WI on the Fox River so it sounds like fun to hopefully rent one of those and scope it out. We'll definitely hit Pactola as well. Like I said, it has been dry as a darned bone and I need serious lake time.

It's always dry in Tuscon or Phoenix. When it rains, at least in Phoenix, it's always a gully washer. I've learned to live without rain but I do look forward to seeing a bit of rain and snow.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 AM

I agree - I can't wait for the rain and snow. We're going to both areas this fall and I saw another thread said to bring a warm jacket - I think that is the thing (plus water) that I am looking most forward to. And yes, it is always dry here (used to get gully washers as well; we miss them). Last 4-5 years have been much, much worse versus 1999/2000. At least with the monsoons essentially non-existent the city has saved $$ not needing to implement rescues for the stupid motorist law .

Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 AM

LOL! about your motorist comments. It isn't funny tho because people do die from flash flooding. I once wrote the obituary and news article about a young woman who died in a flash flood. They found her semi-nude body about 100 feet from her car. The water forced her out of her vehicle and pushed her that far. It was really, really sad.

I know Tuscon has been suffering a drought. We've had the opposite here. It rained off-and-on most of this spring and we've had a cool summer. I don't think it ever reached 115 degrees this year. The cats are already preparing for fall and they started filling up and filling out in late August.

You'll have to be teaching me about living in the cold north. I've been a desert rat most of my life. Born in Arizona and mostly raised in the California desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City