Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 01:32 PM

149 posts, read 553,200 times

Advertisements

The REO property we are buying has several junked autos. Since we are buying "as is", I'm assuming the owner-bank is not going to remove those, so we are thinking that we might sell them for parts, or give them to anyone who will come haul them away.

The question is: what about the titles to these vehicles? Have no idea who they "belong" to in terms of title, and while the VIN numbers would be a starting place, it would be a mess to try to track down the last owner and get title transferred and all that.

Do we need to be concerned about this, or can we just do with them as we please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 02:06 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
I really don't know. You might want to start by contacting a couple of junk yards, explain the situtation and ask them if they'd be interested in buying the junked cars when you close. It would also be a good idea to contact your locale dept. of motor vehicles ask them what is considered "junked" and if you need a VIN/title to sell a junked car.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:16 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
many junkyards will take cars without titles. Are these sports cars? If so many people will take them without titles as well as they use them for racing only at the track, demolition derbys,..etc..

Old 08-01-2010, 02:22 PM

One is an old pickup truck, another is a sedan, and there is also the shell of a "rail-job" dragster (I think the roll cage, drivers seat, not sure what else).

Old 08-01-2010, 02:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate4 View Post
The REO property we are buying has several junked autos. Since we are buying "as is", I'm assuming the owner-bank is not going to remove those, so we are thinking that we might sell them for parts, or give them to anyone who will come haul them away.

The question is: what about the titles to these vehicles? Have no idea who they "belong" to in terms of title, and while the VIN numbers would be a starting place, it would be a mess to try to track down the last owner and get title transferred and all that.

Do we need to be concerned about this, or can we just do with them as we please?
Due to legal title concerns I'd suggest that you insist that the owner-bank remove them prior to your taking possession.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:03 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
One is an old pickup truck, another is a sedan, and there is also the shell of a "rail-job" dragster (I think the roll cage, drivers seat, not sure what else).
Then you might have a good chance of selling them or parting out. Though like mentioned i would do everything i could to get them off the property before you close. Worst case scenario these cars could be stolen and you might be in a big heap of trouble if that is the case.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:26 PM

They could have been stolen at any time -- the house has been locked but the rest of the property totally unsecured since the former owners departed.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:

In Missouri the only time you need to worry about a title is if you are planning to license them. Otherwise it does not matter. If your state requires a title, most likely you can get a salvage or some type of title from the DMV for an abandoned vehicle. I'm sure you just fill out a form and pay a small (?) fee.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-01-2010, 03:32 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Did you request in the contract that they be removed prior to closing?

Is there anything in the Purchase and Sales Agreement that makes reference to the removal of personal property prior to your possession?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:24 PM

63 posts, read 196,270 times
Quote:
They could have been stolen at any time -- the house has been locked but the rest of the property totally unsecured since the former owners departed.

I believe the poster is saying that the vehicle may be stolen vehicles and if you resell stolen property that could cause you problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals