Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
A blog is .blogspot.com ussually free. A website is .com, usually paid for. I am not a agent but I think in the general business world that .com implies you are serious and didn't just put up a free site to see if anything sticks, but if it gets the job done. Another minor issue(or major depends on what you think about) is you have deal with the host's ads on blog sites that are put onto your site and cannot be removed.
I also think but am not sure that .com's do better in the search engines.
Some agreement here. But I see some oversimplification, too.

Blogging can be as basic as a blogger site, wordpress.com, or blogspot. Or even more basically, one can blog at numerous sites that offer an outlet: MechantCircle or CD, even.
Blog quality ranges from significantly amateurish writing to some fabulous content.
It is foolish for a business to use a blogsite that has host ads on it, IMO.
And tacky for a real estate agent to use a website that monetizes via paid ads that annoy visitors.

But, there is much more opportunity to use a blog platform as a website content management system, making it easy for the owner to routinely update the content on the site. Ergo my thought that a blog IS a site.
I have two blogs as the heart of my site, both customized themes from WordPress.org.
They function seamlessly within the site, rather than delivering you to a remote site.
And I think they are very SEO friendly

Now, some bloggers are so successful at it that they are syndicated across many blog sites. Even at that, usually they still have their own hosted site from which to blog.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 08-27-2010 at 05:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
A blog is .blogspot.com ussually free. A website is .com, usually paid for. I am not a agent but I think in the general business world that .com implies you are serious and didn't just put up a free site to see if anything sticks, but if it gets the job done. Another minor issue(or major depends on what you think about) is you have deal with the host's ads on blog sites that are put onto your site and cannot be removed.
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
A blog (a blend of the term "web log")[1] is a type of website or part of a website.
"blogspot.com" is just one of many companies offering a blogging platform, some claiming to be "free" supported by ads and others that charge a fee. I happen to pay for and use Wordpress.org's blogging tools to support my blog website. ".com" has nothing to do with whether a website is a blog or not.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 AM

470 posts, read 1,501,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What is the distinction between a blog with IDX and a website?
I think a blog IS a website...

Other than that little item, you are spot on.
Ok, the differences between the two are narrowing. In reality, a blog site is a type of website. However, a blog is usually interactive, although it doesn't have to be, allowing others to participate. Gee that sounds kind of like this forum, but it certainly is not a forum. Perhaps the biggest difference between the two is really the purpose and format.

I have not yet integrated my business website with my blogsites, but, I will soon do that when I build my next blogsite.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
Ok, the differences between the two are narrowing. In reality, a blog site is a type of website. However, a blog is usually interactive, although it doesn't have to be, allowing others to participate. Gee that sounds kind of like this forum, but it certainly is not a forum. Perhaps the biggest difference between the two is really the purpose and format.

I have not yet integrated my business website with my blogsites, but, I will soon do that when I build my next blogsite.
"Dynamic" vs. "Static."
i.e., Blog vs. Brochure.

I like the first better.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 AM

470 posts, read 1,501,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Dynamic" vs. "Static."
i.e., Blog vs. Brochure.

I like the first better.
Websites don't have to be static, although I admit, mine is too static right now. But, the discussion (blog) vs. brochure is a pretty good analogy.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
Websites don't have to be static, although I admit, mine is too static right now. But, the discussion (blog) vs. brochure is a pretty good analogy.
I dumped the KW templated site a long time ago.

Well, I still have it, or any inquiries would go to KW.com, but it is just a shill for my "real" website.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:46 PM

57 posts, read 319,238 times
Quote:

Not necessarily. Blogspot doesn't hold the monopoly. It's commonplace for businesses to have blogs and websites. I believe the former actually do better on search engines.

They perform two different functions, or at least the ones that I find most effective do. A website is where I go to find out about an agent, read their testimonials, look at their listings (and see how they handle them, e.g., qualities of photos, text, other media, etc.)

I think of a blog as something more dynamic, with less "boing you over the head" sales. I want to get that person's take on what's happening in their community, find out about the quirky things I wouldn't learn on the visitors and convention bureau's website, and get insight into the the housing trends in their community. Pre-packaged articles from other media outlets don't impress me. If they add their own commentary about how it relates to their local conditions than that's different.

An effective blog establishes an agent or company's credibility in a more subtle way than what a website does. With a website, I expect some boinginess.

There's lots of buzz about Active Rain, but as a "civilian" (non agent), I so don't get that.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia2sf View Post
Not necessarily. Blogspot doesn't hold the monopoly. It's commonplace for businesses to have blogs and websites. I believe the former actually do better on search engines.

They perform two different functions, or at least the ones that I find most effective do. A website is where I go to find out about an agent, read their testimonials, look at their listings (and see how they handle them, e.g., qualities of photos, text, other media, etc.)

I think of a blog as something more dynamic, with less "boing you over the head" sales. I want to get that person's take on what's happening in their community, find out about the quirky things I wouldn't learn on the visitors and convention bureau's website, and get insight into the the housing trends in their community. Pre-packaged articles from other media outlets don't impress me. If they add their own commentary about how it relates to their local conditions than that's different.

An effective blog establishes an agent or company's credibility in a more subtle way than what a website does. With a website, I expect some boinginess.

There's lots of buzz about Active Rain, but as a "civilian" (non agent), I so don't get that.
AR does great SEO, and turns up well in search results.
AR's Localism, while polluted with junk, offers a lot of content to consumers.

AR got bigger than they ever expected, and I sincerely believe that a LOT of members just so don't get it either.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:31 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
90% of my customers are off my website. It is nothing like a 'billboard'. My personality is in that site.
As for social media, yes, that also helps but again, NOTHING beats my website.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,808 times
I used this site to choose a professional website using wordpress, I am looking for someone to design it: fortherealestateguru

i already installed it and found it really easy to manage and I paid very little for it, but I would like to have a designer take it to the next level, as I don't have a lot of time to perfect it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals