Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 3,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123catlady View Post
Obviously, I don't know their personal situation, other than the fact that they agreed to sell at their low of 187k. So I am guessing that the 187k is their break even, and that a better appraisal would have given them a little cash. Sucks for them, they put a lot of money into new floors and a kitchen.
I have bought and sold over 20 homes of my own, personal homes. I also buy investment property. (I am licensed, too.)

Posting this because I want you to think about this when you go to sell.

I have had some sorry, low-balled appraisals come back and buyers were just like you, expecting me to lower my price. I always CONTEST appraisals and provided my own comps.... and WIN my point on the appraisals every, single time! Appraisals are subjective... another person's opinion to QUESTION!

Furthermore, unobservant appraisers OFTEN do not take into account of the upgrades in homes. And I always provided a LIST of all of my 'upgrades', benefits, and unique characteristics about my property to any appraiser that viewed my home. AND if there is a problem with the appraisal, I reviewed the appraisal if it was not as I expected. I **know** my area and property's value.

Examples: I have had appraisers fail to provide credit for top of the line windows, i.e. triple paned, Low E, argon gas filled windows, radiant barrier installed in the entire house... not just the roof, travertine not vinyl or "ceramic" tile, wood floors Vs "carpet and vinyl" as their report reflected, and top of the line appliances. I have had one appraisal completely leave out the fact that I had a dual fuel , 48" Thermador range which cost over $11,000~! Another did not credit my garage door. All he had was a check that I had a garage door. Really? I had an over-sized 18' x 8', fully insulated, hurricane resistant, carriage house styled garage doors with all of the decorative hardware! This door cost almost four times the cost of a "regular" garage door.

Furthermore, finding comps that are not in similar areas, i.e. using houses in agriculture areas Vs similar homes in an HOA/CDD area. Using "builder tract" home comparisons when my homes are typically CUSTOM from the get-go.

Most of my homes in the past ten years have all gone ABOVE market value... setting new standards for the area. The key is having someone willing to pay you what you want... and it only takes ONE person to do that... and them having the cash money to buy your home.

We all know that there are some lenders that will NOT let buyer's go into a house with negative equity. (I would not let one of my children buy a house with this scenario.) So, you just have to find the right buyer.

As for me, I would not lower my price on a home. I do my research and stand my ground. As a seller, you need to protect your investment or you can 'lose' like these sellers did.

I'd say you had a good contract written and a great agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Your lender must send you the new RESPA docs with the amended sales price to you at least 3 days prior to closing if they don't obtain your signature on them. If you sign and return them by fax or email, it only needs to be 48 hours prior to close.

However, if your lock changes and your APR goes up by more than .125%, you're back to 3 full days of waiting.

When does your lock expire? Rates have really climbed.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 AM

83 posts, read 511,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandsWithAFist View Post
I have bought and sold over 20 homes of my own, personal homes. I also buy investment property. (I am licensed, too.)

Posting this because I want you to think about this when you go to sell.

I have had some sorry, low-balled appraisals come back and buyers were just like you, expecting me to lower my price. I always CONTEST appraisals and provided my own comps.... and WIN my point on the appraisals every, single time! Appraisals are subjective... another person's opinion to QUESTION!

Furthermore, unobservant appraisers OFTEN do not take into account of the upgrades in homes. And I always provided a LIST of all of my 'upgrades', benefits, and unique characteristics about my property to any appraiser that viewed my home. AND if there is a problem with the appraisal, I reviewed the appraisal if it was not as I expected. I **know** my area and property's value.

Examples: I have had appraisers fail to provide credit for top of the line windows, i.e. triple paned, Low E, argon gas filled windows, radiant barrier installed in the entire house... not just the roof, travertine not vinyl or "ceramic" tile, wood floors Vs "carpet and vinyl" as their report reflected, and top of the line appliances. I have had one appraisal completely leave out the fact that I had a dual fuel , 48" Thermador range which cost over $11,000~! Another did not credit my garage door. All he had was a check that I had a garage door. Really? I had an over-sized 18' x 8', fully insulated, hurricane resistant, carriage house styled garage doors with all of the decorative hardware! This door cost almost four times the cost of a "regular" garage door.

Furthermore, finding comps that are not in similar areas, i.e. using houses in agriculture areas Vs similar homes in an HOA/CDD area. Using "builder tract" home comparisons when my homes are typically CUSTOM from the get-go.

Most of my homes in the past ten years have all gone ABOVE market value... setting new standards for the area. The key is having someone willing to pay you what you want... and it only takes ONE person to do that... and them having the cash money to buy your home.

We all know that there are some lenders that will NOT let buyer's go into a house with negative equity. (I would not let one of my children buy a house with this scenario.) So, you just have to find the right buyer.

As for me, I would not lower my price on a home. I do my research and stand my ground. As a seller, you need to protect your investment or you can 'lose' like these sellers did.

I'd say you had a good contract written and a great agent.
Thanks! I agree with you. I wasn't pleased with the appraisal, luckily it benifited us a few thousand.

I wanted to point out though that,
Quote:
I have had some sorry, low-balled appraisals come back and buyers were just like you, expecting me to lower my price.
this does not describe us. I fully expected the house to come in at appraisal or a little above. We have been looking in this market and know what else is out there. If sellers would have stuck to their price we would have paid the difference in cash.

And yes, I think we do have good realtors and a good contract. Just wish the sellers would abide by dates...they delay...everything.

Quote:
Your lender must send you the new RESPA docs with the amended sales price to you at least 3 days prior to closing if they don't obtain your signature on them. If you sign and return them by fax or email, it only needs to be 48 hours prior to close.
Got this done last week...actually almost two weeks ago...just one of many things the sellers delayed on...

Hopefully, we are signing this afternoon or early tomorrow morning. Sellers are hoping to hold out over another weekend. I don't get why they agree to dates and then don't honor them!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals