Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,889 times

Advertisements

hi everyone. i was curious about your take on showing a house where an owner has used a flat fee service for their listing. on one hand, i would think a commission is a commission but on the other i would think it would be something realtors wouldnt like.

we had previously sold a house using this service-we had saved 1% by listing the commission at 3% to the selling agent. we had seen that most sellers were gettting commission rates of 4% with a 50/50 split and we were hoping the extra % going to the selling agent-3 %- would be helpful.

we are thinking of trying it again-we realize real estate is a different animal now-we had done it 2 years ago-but thought we would give it a shot. thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
hi everyone. i was curious about your take on showing a house where an owner has used a flat fee service for their listing. on one hand, i would think a commission is a commission but on the other i would think it would be something realtors wouldnt like.

we had previously sold a house using this service-we had saved 1% by listing the commission at 3% to the selling agent. we had seen that most sellers were gettting commission rates of 4% with a 50/50 split and we were hoping the extra % going to the selling agent-3 %- would be helpful.

we are thinking of trying it again-we realize real estate is a different animal now-we had done it 2 years ago-but thought we would give it a shot. thanks-
Do you mean to say Buyer's agent?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:50 PM

i could be-the agent who the potential buyer brings with them-

Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
i could be-the agent who the potential buyer brings with them-
That is the buyer's agent. The seller's agent works for the person selling the house.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
The question is, since you're using a flat fee service, what exactly is your flat fee agent doing on your side of the deal? If they're just throwing it on the MLS and putting up a sign, how experienced are you in all the things that are necessary for a successful (and legal) deal?

That would determine how much extra work the buyer's agent has to do, for whatever commission, to make sure the deal comes to closing, and how enthused they would be to show your house.

That being said, I show my clients all houses that meet their specs and let them decide which ones they want to see. Don't even look at who is listing it until it's time to look at the showing instructions to set up a showing, usually. That's my responsibility as a buyer's agent.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:55 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
manderly6, it is confusing but the selling agent can be the the buyer agent. The seller's agent is the one that represents the seller. I don't like the term selling agent but it is still used in some parts of the country where sub-agency is still in force. A selling agent can bring in a buyer, but still represent the seller, OR they can be a buyer agent.

Anyway...as long as you offer a competitive buyer agent commission agents will show your listing.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do you mean to say Buyer's agent?
The buyers agent is usually the selling agent, so you guys are both referring to the same person with those two terms.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Here is a NY Times article with some interesting thoughts about RE commissions.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/re....html?_r=1&hpw

To put in simple terms, money talks and b.s. walks. If any realtors do show up at your house it will be try to get you list your property. Have you watched the program Selling New York? Some of them make over $100,000 for a sale. It is beyond me why they think anyone should pay those fees when many people don't earn that in a year. No matter what you decide, I urge you have a good real estate attorney review your paper work since you are not a licensed realtor. Often, the lawyer will be cheaper (gasp) than the realtor. Best wishes.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The question is, since you're using a flat fee service, what exactly is your flat fee agent doing on your side of the deal? If they're just throwing it on the MLS and putting up a sign, how experienced are you in all the things that are necessary for a successful (and legal) deal?

That would determine how much extra work the buyer's agent has to do, for whatever commission, to make sure the deal comes to closing, and how enthused they would be to show your house.

That being said, I show my clients all houses that meet their specs and let them decide which ones they want to see. Don't even look at who is listing it until it's time to look at the showing instructions to set up a showing, usually. That's my responsibility as a buyer's agent.
-the only experience we have has been selling 3 houses and purchasing 4 houses on our own-we are not realtors-
-flat fee only gets you on mls-i provided my own pictures, description, etc-
-i set my own appointments from the calls received
-to make sure it is without as much trouble as can prevented we hire a real estate attorney who we have trusted to use in the past-

Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
The buyers agent is usually the selling agent, so you guys are both referring to the same person with those two terms.
So I'm assuming then there is a world of difference between saying selling agent and seller's agent?

Sorry to go off on a tangent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals