Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM

397 posts, read 1,073,155 times

Advertisements

I am looking to adopt a new company policy on rental commissions for my business, and I would like to know what the agents in other areas are receiving as commissions.

In other words, when I was in NYC, the renter paid the realtor a commission of 15% of the ANNUAL rent for the agent to find them a rental. Also, I charged a one month fee for furnished short term rentals over 3 months, 1/2 month fee less than that, also paid by either the renter or their company who was relocating them.

I realize this is high commissions because it is NYC - but now I have a real estate business in Charleston, SC and it's crazy that rental commissions are only like $100 paid by the owner! Showing rentals certainly doesn't make sense, but now the rental market is getting hotter - I think there is a value attached for that if a client decides to rent vs buy, or an owner wants to find a qualified tenant.

I am curious what other real estate companies charge to either find a rental for a client, or rent a home for a client, and who pays the commissions....

Thanks so much for helping put this data together!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 AM

265 posts, read 954,154 times
Many agents don't handle rentals for this very reason. In our area, most listings will advertise a 25% rental commission to the tenants agent.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 AM

652 posts, read 1,306,921 times
My company charges the owner/landlord one month's rent to find them a tenant. Of that, 25% of the one month's rent goes to the tenant's agent. And, of course, all of these commissions get split with the agent's broker. Most agents in my office refuse to handle them (other than for friends/family and former clients) and they get passed off to new agents.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,992,952 times
In my market the management company pays 10% of the first months rent to the agent who brings them a renter.

Hardly worth the gas to show them a couple of rentals. We do it from time to time. It has paid off in referrals.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 PM

274 posts, read 710,278 times
This is typical for Northern VA. My broker gives me full comission for rentals. There are exceptions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
My company charges the owner/landlord one month's rent to find them a tenant. Of that, 25% of the one month's rent goes to the tenant's agent. And, of course, all of these commissions get split with the agent's broker. Most agents in my office refuse to handle them (other than for friends/family and former clients) and they get passed off to new agents.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 AM

82 posts, read 287,051 times
In suburban Philadelphia, one month's rent is split between the agents. As stated before, it's why so many agents don't like to work with rentals. Although, I have had referrals, which is THE only reason I might ever take another one on. Craigslist often has more options where the landlord gets the tenant directly, at least in our area.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:52 AM

17,562 posts, read 14,750,657 times
In my market - which is Northwest Indiana but considered part of metro Chicago - most rentals pay 1/2 month's rent.

After the broker split & fees, I'd say the average take for a agent who puts a tenant in a rental is probably around $400.

(Rentals aren't big in our MLS - in fact, even as an agent who owns multiple income properties, I've NEVER put one of our rentals into the MLS - and I have my own brokerage. I can find a renter quicker with a sign in the yard or on Craigslist and not have to pay anyone out.)

Old 04-28-2011, 07:29 PM

172 posts, read 293,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
THis is why most of the agents in my company, when they do a rental, ask for cash. The broker knows, by the way.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:52 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,145,390 times
In Maryland, the total commission is generally one months rent with each broker getting half then doling it out to the agent via whatever commission split they are on.

Generally I walk away with a few hundred dollars for what amounts to a relatively small amount of work on a modestly priced rental. Granted in Baltimore we have enough turn over for rentals that one could make a pretty decent living just doing that.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:37 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,485,669 times
In Houston, it's one month's rent that gets split between the tenants agent and the listing agent. I'm not a realtor yet, but I'm keeping a close eye on everything I can as I plan to get my license. Seems like it's hard to find realtors that want to deal with rentals in the Houston area, too. But looking at the transaction I just went through with our rental (we're moving this month, renting for a year before we buy) it seems to me like relatively small amount of work for a decent amount of money. I would estimate that our agent put in about 3-4 hours of work including driving to and from the properties, pulling up listings, paperwork, etc. I'm not sure what he has to share with his broker, but half the rent was $850. That's $212/hour! Even if he has to give half of that to his broker, that's still pretty good money. Is this not typical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals