Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:04 AM

739 posts, read 830,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I agree and I'm willing to do the research and work involved.

This is off topic in my own thread but...after what you just mentioned I would like to add something. I just started in this business about six months ago and I'm finding it to be very expensive and a lot of hard work. People don't realize how much work a GOOD realtor really does but I can understand why. So far I've only had to deal with a handful of other agents and most of them have been horrible. It's very discouraging for someone new in the business that wants to do things the right way. I find myself doing my work and most of the agent on the other ends work. Ok, maybe not most but a lot. I don't understand it and I can go on about why it makes no sense why they work that way. Someone told me I should complain to their BIC but I don't want to be known as the tattle tale in the area. I'm the type of person that goes above and beyond in everything I do but can't these people at least return a phone call. No wonder so many people are on here complaining about their agents.

That's why this business can be both frustating and rewarding. Rewarding because so few people are really good at it. As I've posted before, the former economist for the National Association of Realtors stated recently that the industry is at an all-time low for agent competency.

My advice is to keep your head down, learn everything you can, always put the clients interests first (even at the expense of your own income) and work on building the best reputation you can. And that reputation can be from serving just a single niche market. Forget trying to be all things to all people. It sounds like you have a good track on working with builders. Learn everything you can about finding building lots and selling new homes. It's a great niche with consistent repeat business. After a few years in the business you may want to consider getting your brokers license and opening your own shop. At that point, I wouldn't bring on a lot of agents, maybe just an assistant and one other seasoned agent to help cover overhead. Brokers like to tell you that the cost of overhead would keep you from opening your own shop. I can tell you from experience that is simply not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 04:35 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
palmcoasting - My BIC has nothing to do with any of this and that's not who I was talking about when I said they were long winded. I was describing my manager, who is very a nice lady but there are other people I would rather go to for advice and that's ok. The contact was not given to me by the BIC who I never even see, he owns five offices and I don't work out of the same office he does anyway. He has over 300 agents working for him and if I asked he would help me but it's not necessary to go to him when there are so many other people. I'm very happy with the company I chose to work with and very satisfied with my split, for now. My split is higher then agents I know that work for other companies and they have been doing this for years. As far as the contact, I got it through my web site as I do most of my contacts.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
That's why this business can be both frustating and rewarding. Rewarding because so few people are really good at it. As I've posted before, the former economist for the National Association of Realtors stated recently that the industry is at an all-time low for agent competency.

My advice is to keep your head down, learn everything you can, always put the clients interests first (even at the expense of your own income) and work on building the best reputation you can. And that reputation can be from serving just a single niche market. Forget trying to be all things to all people. It sounds like you have a good track on working with builders. Learn everything you can about finding building lots and selling new homes. It's a great niche with consistent repeat business. After a few years in the business you may want to consider getting your brokers license and opening your own shop. At that point, I wouldn't bring on a lot of agents, maybe just an assistant and one other seasoned agent to help cover overhead. Brokers like to tell you that the cost of overhead would keep you from opening your own shop. I can tell you from experience that is simply not true.
Thank you for all your advice. It's funny because this week alone I had people inquire about houses, manufactured houses (there's a lot of them here), commercial, land and foreclosures. Holy cow it's overwhelming! I do have to find the thing I'm most interested in and what I'm good at. I really have no interest in having my own shop. What I'm really hoping for is eventually doing investing myself and flip. Maybe on occasion have clients but I have two other businesses I run from home and I'd like to keep it that way. My SO knows everything from carpentry, electrical and plumbing, so when the market gets better (and I make some money finially) we want to flip.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 AM

739 posts, read 830,943 times
I know flipping sounds exotic and sexy and all that, but wouldn't you be better off to just buy and hold? Especially given that you should have some insight into the next hot areas of town. I've bought 18 rental properties over the years. Now they are all paid for and rent at an average of $1200 per month. It's certainly worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals