Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times

Advertisements

We've had a home in escrow since the first of the year (Don't even ask!) and it had almost 30K of pest work done on it. Closing scheduled for this Friday and the mortgage underwriter is now questioning whether the home has been raised off the ground!

Original pictures make the home look.....well, old. After rehab new paint, new deck make the home look.....well, new. MU wants assurance that this is the same house!

Are you freaking kidding me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:28 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
We've had a home in escrow since the first of the year (Don't even ask!) and it had almost 30K of pest work done on it. Closing scheduled for this Friday and the mortgage underwriter is now questioning whether the home has been raised off the ground!

Original pictures make the home look.....well, old. After rehab new paint, new deck make the home look.....well, new. MU wants assurance that this is the same house!

Are you freaking kidding me?

I have just one word for underwriters.

Tazers.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
You should be glad that underwriters are doing their jobs and actually looking at the appraisals.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You should be glad that underwriters are doing their jobs and actually looking at the appraisals.

You have no idea what you are saying. They have gone mad. Seriously...

I just closed a transaction on an FHA rehab loan where the buyer was gutting the kitchen as part of the loan. There was an old water stain, totally dry, under the kitchen sink that the underwriter insisted be repaired prior to close of escrow, even though it was coming out per the contractor's quote. That isn't someone doing their job, that is sheer stupidity.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
Yup they are so afraid of their jobs they ask for the dumbest things or make you redo the contract for no real reason.

I have had them ask for proof he doesn't pay child support. Hello? You have two years of tax returns and 3 months of banks statements.

I have had them ask us to redo the contract to be outside the 90 day ownership window, even though we would close outside of that window.

I have had them ask for a statement we would not buy a vehicle within 6 months of buying a house.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:47 PM

I didn't realize when I first posted that this was the realtor category. I appreciate the need to vent with colleagues and I am sure your job is frustrating also.

I can't speak to every instance you all have mentioned, but remember you haven't walked a mile in the underwriters' shoes either. The amount of rule changes and regulating bodies seem to be growing at exponential rates and trying to figure out how all the laws work together (one law seems to contradict another, e.g.) is quite the challenge.

I am not an underwriter but I do some compliance research and QC.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:05 PM

10,963 posts, read 21,978,734 times
Debsi, you sure you aren't an underwriter? They have gone mad, and I don't need to walk a mile in their shoes to know it. They are failing. The entire mortgage industry is failing for that matter, which is why government needs to back off. Every time they get involved it goes to hell in a hand basket.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Debsi, you sure you aren't an underwriter? They have gone mad, and I don't need to walk a mile in their shoes to know it. They are failing. The entire mortgage industry is failing for that matter, which is why government needs to back off. Every time they get involved it goes to hell in a hand basket.
Yeah, I'm sure! I too wish the government would back off. I'm working a lot of Saturdays lately learning new regs. I don't want to be an underwriter ever, that's possibly an even more thankless job than Quality Control. I remember reading a lot of complaint threads about what underwriters ask for way BEFORE the mortgage crash.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
the mortgage underwriter is now questioning whether the home has been raised off the ground!
Oh yeah I forgot. We DID raise the house, but we put it back where we found it. You can have your ruby slippers back.
Attached Thumbnails
Mortgage Underwriter madness-gby1907_1c-witch-legs_s4x3_lg.jpg  

Old 08-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I didn't realize when I first posted that this was the realtor category. I appreciate the need to vent with colleagues and I am sure your job is frustrating also.

I can't speak to every instance you all have mentioned, but remember you haven't walked a mile in the underwriters' shoes either. The amount of rule changes and regulating bodies seem to be growing at exponential rates and trying to figure out how all the laws work together (one law seems to contradict another, e.g.) is quite the challenge.

I am not an underwriter but I do some compliance research and QC.

It has nothing to do with rule changes. It has to do with being fined. Underwriters are faced with stiff fines by some lenders if the loans go bad within a certain time frame. As such, they have all descended into madness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals