Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:38 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Well I am somewhere near you, Evey, and there are very good deals for investors.

You can find 2 bedroom 2 bath CB homes in the $75,000 range here.
Your PITI on this would be around $650 and rents in the area for this size go around $750.

The smaller, lower end rentals are in higher demand so it is not too much problem keeping them full.
I agree. I sold my main home in Florida because it was way too expensive to risk as a rental and kept two investment properties. I have taken a few trips down there to scout out some other places and will not hesitate to buy if the price is right.

Now that I have moved to Georgia, cheap houses are a dime a dozen so now we try to find unique properties that should hold their value no matter what happens.

I say go for it, we have bought and sold for ten years and have never not made a substantial profit, even in this market. Just do your research and be flexible, some houses we planned on flipping wound up to be rentals for five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
I know it's a good time to invest, just wanted to get some other ideas of what people are doing. I spoke with a lender yesterday to see what our options are. What I have working against me is that fact my occupation is now a real estate agent and I'm still new to it. On the books I have almost no income, so it might be a little hard to get a loan. I do have excellent credit and no debts except my current mortgage.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:36 AM

75 posts, read 404,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
When it comes to investing, it's all about location, location, location. Seriously, though, there is so much inventory right now and not every part of the country is going to recover as quickly as others. In fact, in many parts of the country where jobs are on the decline and population growth is on the decline, housing prices have suffered huge declines. I would expect that many people in those areas will end up just walking away from their homes, and some areas of the country may even become blighted for a while. On the other hand, a shift in population to where the jobs are, or where there's great weather, or something else that's special about a particular city/town, then those areas will recover more quickly and real estate investments in those areas could be lucrative.

I would venture to guess that the tightening of mortgage requirements coupled with the housing downturn will result in a return to people buying only one home, and staying in it for a longer period of time, perhaps fixing it up rather than moving up the housing ladder within 3 - 5 years. People who can afford to will probably invest in a vacation home for a longer duration, too. However I really see the days of investing in real estate as a commodity as over (at least for quite a while) in many parts of the country.
I think fractionals are great right now as opposed to a buying a second or vacation home.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I know it's a good time to invest, just wanted to get some other ideas of what people are doing. I spoke with a lender yesterday to see what our options are. What I have working against me is that fact my occupation is now a real estate agent and I'm still new to it. On the books I have almost no income, so it might be a little hard to get a loan. I do have excellent credit and no debts except my current mortgage.
Even with 700+ credit scores, recently my husband and I have had to put down 15-20% on any investment properties. OUCH! The lenders do not believe we want anything as a vacation house, etc until we get rid of our main house which is quite large (not gonna happen). This will actually slow down our investing as we found out one week before our last closing we had to cough up $35,000 (like a stab in the heart). And we've never had a late payment. I don't see why good credit people are having to pay for what else is happening but it's the cost of the business I guess.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
Even with 700+ credit scores, recently my husband and I have had to put down 15-20% on any investment properties. OUCH! The lenders do not believe we want anything as a vacation house, etc until we get rid of our main house which is quite large (not gonna happen). This will actually slow down our investing as we found out one week before our last closing we had to cough up $35,000 (like a stab in the heart). And we've never had a late payment. I don't see why good credit people are having to pay for what else is happening but it's the cost of the business I guess.
Our credit scores are also 700+. I'm not sure I understand why you had to put that much down? It's because they believe it's an investment property? In that case you have to put more down? Bare with me, I'm new at this.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Our credit scores are also 700+. I'm not sure I understand why you had to put that much down? It's because they believe it's an investment property? In that case you have to put more down? Bare with me, I'm new at this.
That's exactly it. We bought our main house last year with absolutely nothing down, in fact, we didn't even live in the state or have jobs there (and it cost about five times our annual salary). We have been able to pick up investment properties with about 5% down before this mortgage mess of the last six months. We bought a house in April expecting the usual down payment and then a week before closing we got hit with 20% down.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:52 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
It is a great market to invest in. Seriously, it's every woman's dream... everything is on sale

Old 08-23-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
That's exactly it. We bought our main house last year with absolutely nothing down, in fact, we didn't even live in the state or have jobs there (and it cost about five times our annual salary). We have been able to pick up investment properties with about 5% down before this mortgage mess of the last six months. We bought a house in April expecting the usual down payment and then a week before closing we got hit with 20% down.
So investment properties you have to more down?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
It is a great market to invest in. Seriously, it's every woman's dream... everything is on sale

Haha, exactly! I would love to buy a bunch of properties right now. I search the MLS and I can't believe the deals out there. I feel bad for people that have to reduce their property so much but if I look at the history reports, most of them are still making money.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 PM

207 posts, read 926,354 times
Don't try to catch a falling knife!!! Yes, prices are going down, but how low will they go, no one really knows. Additionally, rental rates my go down in the near future, until at least all those foreclosed homes and condos (increasing rental supply) are absorped my the market, which could take years. Yes, location is important, but so is timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals