Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
I like offering my clients the choice. Some want to ride and some want to follow. I am ok with either, but do plan a "breather" stop and buy them an ice cream, lunch, starbucks something so we can "review" what their thoughts are.

If you have a 2 seater, then you are unable to make that offer.... I hate to say it, but the baby's gotta go!! You have to have a car that can accomodate those buyers....

Just my humble 2 cents.

Shelly
Good advice. And the breather can work the other way, too. If my clients have been with me all morning, I let them go their separate way at lunch to have private time to talk, and then we meet back to either look at a couple more houses or else just visit about what their thoughts are.

I'm usually working with folks from out-of-town, so the follow behind usually doesn't work too well for me because they're not familiar with the area and if we get split up at a stop light it can be tough for them to catch up. (In your sports car that might be more of a problem)

Maybe, too, you've got an untapped niche market there. Other sports car enthusiasts or singles who would either love to ride in your sports car or else follow in their own sports car and see if they can keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 11:17 AM

353 posts, read 1,729,115 times
In my area, the buyers generally follow. I prefer it that way.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:27 AM

940 posts, read 1,367,904 times
Hi Greg,
I personally think that is fine. I have kids and most of the time I like to take them, and I do NOT want anyone to go through what I go through in the car.
I also feel it gives the couple a chance to talk about what they just viewed. You could always stop at a diner or somewhere when done with the buyer and chat about what they just viewed. By the way, you can even have them follow you straight to my home for sale.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:58 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
I'm usually working with folks from out-of-town, so the follow behind usually doesn't work too well for me because they're not familiar with the area and if we get split up at a stop light it can be tough for them to catch up. (In your sports car that might be more of a problem)

Maybe, too, you've got an untapped niche market there. Other sports car enthusiasts or singles who would either love to ride in your sports car or else follow in their own sports car and see if they can keep up.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

From everyone's posts above I think I will be fine for the time being with my current car. I was really starting to like the 2004 Infiniti M45's though.

I agree that it would be good to establish more rapport with my clients while driving with them, and I can hear some of their initial thoughts. I just got back from taking someone around town today, and they seemed fine with just following. And at least the posters on here all agreed following was actually more preferable depending on kids and allergies (though I don't use cologne, or have animals in my car!)

Should I find clients that are coming from out of town and may need me to drive them around, I can always rent a nice big vehicle or trade for a few days with a co-worker.

So far my little sports car has actually helped me quite a bit with my sellers. Usually when I first meet them I park on the road near their home and meet them at their front door....go in build rapport and do my presentation(s) and by the time we're done they walk me out and then see what I drive. More often than not the guys will say something about how they love the car, and the women are either indifferent or are the same way. I've given many test drives, and sometimes spend alot of extra time at a listing appointment after everything is done just talking cars.

And the sport car enthusiast niche is most definetly tapped, I pick up my favorite clients at track days and classic car functions.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:01 PM

56 posts, read 290,781 times
Default Reasons to follow agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
I have previously exclusively worked with sellers and referred buyers to others in my office. However with the market shifting, I am going to start working much more with more buyers.

My problem is, My current vehicle is a small 2 seater sport car, not very comfortable, and obviously I can't drive a couple around in it.

Does it seem that out of the ordinary for an agent NOT to drive buyers? I figure it will give the buyers a chance to talk freely amongst themselves between homes without feeling any pressure from me. And as long as they sign a buyer brokerage agreement I'd be happy to give them gas cards before or after each of our trips.

What are your impressions of this mode of business?

I'm with the post regarding allergies. I'm an agent who is allergic to most perfumes, cigarettes, etc. In my area of NJ, Essex County, often showings happen quickly and I often meet buyers at the first house....and both parties have cars, so they follow me. Most buyers from NYC, NJ are fine with this and prefer it for private discussion in-between showings. There's other issues to be concerned with...liability. Buyers don't know how I drive and for similar reasons when buyers ask if I drive with them, I'm reluctant because I don't know how they drive. If we get to know one another and I'm comfortable, we can drive together. Many buyers also come with kids and need car seats and comfort, so separate cars works for alot of reasons. I think overall it's an antiquated view of house hunting.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:14 PM

72,418 posts, read 18,203,422 times
You can either follow or sit in their car
It would be better if you are together,you and the buyer can talk about it in the car,you can communicate better.
Why not rent a car? The National Association of Realtors here have discounts with rental cars. Check it out. Also the AAA also have discounts.
If they have kids,I would get into their car,just because of the kids car sit

Old 09-01-2007, 09:18 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
Gary, sounds like you have made a good decision for you. See how it goes and if it becomes a problem you can always make a change, right? Good Luck with the buyers...

Shelly

Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,476 times
Someone in my local forum posted that they got a car rental for $12/day on Priceline...not sure of the specifics (make/model), but since I drive a Jeep, I will be keeping that in mind.

I've had no clients so far where the Jeep has been a problem, even my oldest client to date actually liked the ride, but I'm sure it will come up. One of my last clients had a baby along on our appointments and I met them in a nearby community and rode with them--lots of baby 'stuff' already organized and ready to go in their backseat. Everyone was happy.

We have some pretty tough roads around here, so the Jeep is a keeper for listing appts, agent caravans and photo/sign trips. But if a client comes along with needs that dictate it, I'll be checking out Priceline or the Realtor discount at the rental car company!

Old 09-02-2007, 06:20 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
I have previously exclusively worked with sellers and referred buyers to others in my office. However with the market shifting, I am going to start working much more with more buyers.

My problem is, My current vehicle is a small 2 seater sport car, not very comfortable, and obviously I can't drive a couple around in it.

Does it seem that out of the ordinary for an agent NOT to drive buyers? I figure it will give the buyers a chance to talk freely amongst themselves between homes without feeling any pressure from me. And as long as they sign a buyer brokerage agreement I'd be happy to give them gas cards before or after each of our trips.

What are your impressions of this mode of business?
I'm a buyer & seller. Back 10 years ago, we drove around with an agent we'd just met. Obviously, back then there was no internet, so we were reliant on her to show us where properties were. There were times when she gave us listings to drive by, then if we wanted to see them a 2nd time after ruling out location, she'd drive.

With the internet, I can print stuff out and drive by. If I wanted a 2nd look, it really wouldn't matter to me what the agent drove if I was able to sit in a car. With my bad back, sitting in a 2 seat sports car wouldn't work, nor would me driving. If I knew before hand that an agent drove a 2 seat sports car, I would pass them up unless I was told before that you had another vehicle to drive at moments notice. Depending on what area you are in, car rental places don't always have that type of car / SUV / minivan available; so what would you do if I emailed or called you late in the day asking if you could show me such & such place 1st thing in the morning? Would I have to wait for you to see if you could even get another car to drive? I'd say forget it.

I as a buyer / seller have my own life. Usually once school starts the calendar fills up fast. I may not be able to fit your car rental availability into my life.

If you are going to be driving people around on a more regular basis, you might want to start looking at other cars. Mazda has a very good used car program, where they give a 10 year 100,000 mile warrenty. Mazda makes a good car, there are so many models to choose from, a Mazda 6 would be a nice agents car, as would be a Tribute SUV, or one of their sporty mini van type vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Here's what I feel from a buyer's standpoint:

Honestly, we preferred NOT being driven around. Being as we were with the agent in the car, and in the house...there couldn't be any "private" conversation between my husband and I such as whether or not we felt the agent was pressuring us...or just anything private.
If an agent did this to me, they wouldn't be my agent. The 2 agents I've used were very patient and understanding of what I wanted as a buyer. The last agent I used, usually had the same comments as myself in the homes we walked. From the street, all of these houses looked ok, but once inside they were not as nice as what I was leaving, nor were they priced accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Not a good impression. Hubby and I also prefer to drive ourselves; but when you are an out of town buyer you do count on your agent providing transportation. Even if I was an in town buyer and knew that my agent couldn't provide transportation I would question if they were a professional, experienced agent.. I think I would not have an impression of a serious real estate agent even if I was happily in my own car. I think the gas card idea is genius.
This says it pretty well, except I disagree with the gas card. If I am using someone as my agent, I expect them to earn their commission; and it doesn't include giving me a gas card and expecting me to drive my own car. Why do I want to put extra miles on my vehicle? We're not only talking about gas but tires, oil changes

Quote:
So far my little sports car has actually helped me quite a bit with my sellers. Usually when I first meet them I park on the road near their home and meet them at their front door....go in build rapport and do my presentation(s) and by the time we're done they walk me out and then see what I drive. More often than not the guys will say something about how they love the car, and the women are either indifferent or are the same way. I've given many test drives, and sometimes spend alot of extra time at a listing appointment after everything is done just talking cars.

And the sport car enthusiast niche is most definetly tapped, I pick up my favorite clients at track days and classic car functions.
So, I have to ask, what kind of 2 seater sports car do you have lol

Old 09-02-2007, 10:51 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times
Different strokes for different folks.
Quote:
This says it pretty well, except I disagree with the gas card. If I am using someone as my agent, I expect them to earn their commission; and it doesn't include giving me a gas card and expecting me to drive my own car. Why do I want to put extra miles on my vehicle? We're not only talking about gas but tires, oil changes
I guess we all put different value on all the different jobs a realtor does. Any Shmoe can drive a person around and be paid minimum wage.
I always beleived I earned my commission when it came to putting together the offer, negotiating, and coordinating pre and post closing activities. (that last task including MANY MANY activities that can kill a deal or not reveal things that could be a major problem for the new owner)

Quote:
With the internet, I can print stuff out and drive by.
I 100% agree with the internet making it easy for buyers to find homes for sale themselves and see multiple pictures, I put very little emphasis on my ability to find a person their perfect home. I have a much more powerful tool with the MLS and will, of course, still do my interview and try and get "on the same page" with the buyer, and search the MLS and my memory of all the homes I've seen in the area's they would like. But I think this as an ancillary,bonus, service.
I've even seen a business model where an agent gives the client an MLS search website, and a mobile GPS. The buyer does all their own legwork looking for the home, and the agent just handles closing work, and the occasional trip to open up a house. (a little too impersonal for me though)

Quote:
I as a buyer / seller have my own life. Usually once school starts the calendar fills up fast. I may not be able to fit your car rental availability into my life.
And I can recognize that as a potential problem. I don't see it as a big one though. How often will you absolutely NEED to drive out to a home on a few minutes notice? And if it is often, I don't think it would work out anyway. I remain as flexible as possible for my clients, and often cancel personal plans to accomodate, but Most of the time I wouldn't be able to drop everything on a moments notice anyway (being with another client, in a closing, etc.) With an hour or two's notice it wouldn't be a problem, There are many people in my office that would be happy to swap cars for a day.

Quote:
So, I have to ask, what kind of 2 seater sports car do you have lol
Well no classic car for me, Just a simple little Nissan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals