Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 11:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times

Advertisements

Got one of the rare transaction in the world going. Now it is not going to be fully factual and I am going to augment in places as I have to protect myself and client.

So no you can't run it down from the data...

Really substantially superlative house in an somewhat exclusive area. No lock box. Appointment only.

Client is cash and unusually flexible. Moving from another local house that they will sell after they move.

Client loves house. Owner offers certain external art if they buy.

Offer $375K versus $400K list. Cash, 60 day escrow. Throw in discussed piece of external art.

Verbal counter. Full list. Close in 60 days...rent back until the end of February. No art piece.

Verbal counter. Close January 2. Rent back until February 28.

Brother, Chicago Realtor, says no way don't sell after January 1. 3.8% tax on all such sales.

Owner, Owner "friend", daughter, brother. and others.

Luck into a deal with probably the only imaginable client who could buy the place and I think we are going to end up walking.

It is a most interesting profession some days.

The client is a smart spitfire in an off color way.

Can life get any more rewarding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Might educating the seller and seller's agent re the 3.8% tax be helpful?

Tax is only on the GAIN of the sale of the property, after the exclusion of $250K or $500 if married (if primary residence) and then only if Adjusted Gross Income exceeds $200K ($250K joint filers).

Maybe your buyer won't have to walk after all?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Might educating the seller and seller's agent re the 3.8% tax be helpful?

Tax is only on the GAIN of the sale of the property, after the exclusion of $250K or $500 if married (if primary residence) and then only if Adjusted Gross Income exceeds $200K ($250K joint filers).

Maybe your buyer won't have to walk after all?
You really think you can educate a seller or a real estate agent brother who really knows this stuff?

How do you do that?

Only way I know would be to have someone in Chicago break his knee caps.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You really think you can educate a seller or a real estate agent brother who really knows this stuff?

How do you do that?

Only way I know would be to have someone in Chicago break his knee caps.
LOL don't know enough about the specifics. If this is a primary residence and the property is owned by a couple who file jointly, there would be no gain (if the numbers you state are real), therefore no medicare tax (the 3.8%).

There's a lot of misinformation out there regarding this upcoming tax, even among long time agents who "really know their stuff". It's amazing how many people, including agents, haven't read the details and therefore "don't get it".

Just trying to be helpful - take it or leave it

Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
LOL don't know enough about the specifics. If this is a primary residence and the property is owned by a couple who file jointly, there would be no gain (if the numbers you state are real), therefore no medicare tax (the 3.8%).

There's a lot of misinformation out there regarding this upcoming tax, even among long time agents who "really know their stuff". It's amazing how many people, including agents, haven't read the details and therefore "don't get it".

Just trying to be helpful - take it or leave it
We are well aware of how the 3.8% works. As is the selling agent. However that does not trump the knowledge of Chicago brother.

If this one would yield to normal rational discussion I would not have written it up...

But thank you for the help...

Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default I think we all know how it goes...

It is all but impossible to put a deal back together after some "trusted family advisor" puts the kibosh on things -- I don't care if it is brother, father-in-law, maid of honor, Uncle Hubert who is rich, or the guys at the barbershop ...

I can almost see some of these things making sense -- your brother will ride your hide into the ground for the rest of your life if things go wrong, even if you get a divorce your FIL will probably still be around for the grandkids, maid of honor is one of those girlfriends that always seems to be a shoulder to cry on, Uncle Hubert might write you out of the will, once in a while I have thought about giving a buyer who got cold feet after talking to geniuses that only practice tonsorial arts because it fills up their time between meetings with E.F. Hutton a coupon to Great Clips but I don't think that would get the message across

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
We are well aware of how the 3.8% works. As is the selling agent. However that does not trump the knowledge of Chicago brother.

If this one would yield to normal rational discussion I would not have written it up...

But thank you for the help...

Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
I'm curious why the art piece was pulled from the deal if they offered full price.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:25 PM

I don't think it was really offered. Seller just talked too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals