Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 02:31 PM

13 posts, read 53,045 times

Advertisements

In the neihborhood I live all the houses have sold for 540k,480k but they are
2500 sq, more or less. There are just 3 small houses and mine is one of them. I listed with a realtor 1 month ago at $399. It is a 3/2. With a yard wich is the same as the big houses of 8,800 sq. and the house is 1604 sf.

These neighborhood is on a Exellent location, very nice schools and very safe, I walk my dogs day and night and it is very safe.

My next door neighborhood has townhouses, cero lot, they have mainenance which I don't, and they are on top of each other. But some times they are bigger in sq. than my house and they have sold for 320k.

My realtor is telling me to lower my price at 368k and to offer to the realtor that brings the buyer $2000.

What is your advice?
Live it in 399k and offer to paid closing cost?
$2000 to the buyer realtor?
To go to 368k?
Does it really make a difference to lower that much?

I have a lot of traffic when I do open houses. It is like a party. I have specially 3 couples that loved my house and they say they would do an offer,(that was like 2 or 3 weeks ago). When my realtor call them they say they are working with the numbers(like to see if they can buy it). What should I do about the questions above? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 PM

582 posts, read 2,009,204 times
When did your realtor call them? If it was a day or two ago then don't call again... if it was, say, a week ago or more I would have her call again to let them know that there were several couples interested and do they have an offer ready. I wouldn't lower my price that much if there are people that interested. If none of them are ready to make an offer and it doesn't seem like they will for awhile I would lower it. I don't know that I would go that far down AND add in an extra $2000 to the buyer's agent. They're getting commission anyway... plus, you don't want to do everything you can all at once. If you're getting some interest but things aren't happening yet after the price drop then add in the bonus.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 PM

14 posts, read 58,358 times
Dont forget the only reason a home does not sell is price
Even homes in bad locations sale at some price

Dropthe price $10,000 and raise the commission to 3 %
then every 2 weeks drop another $10,000 til you get to $369,900
I dont know what area you are in as as the weather gets cold up north the traffic slows down

good luck

Moderator cut: website removed

Last edited by Keeper; 10-17-2007 at 08:46 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 05:29 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMPORAL View Post
In the neihborhood I live all the houses have sold for 540k,480k but they are
2500 sq, more or less. There are just 3 small houses and mine is one of them. I listed with a realtor 1 month ago at $399. It is a 3/2. With a yard wich is the same as the big houses of 8,800 sq. and the house is 1604 sf.

These neighborhood is on a Exellent location, very nice schools and very safe, I walk my dogs day and night and it is very safe.

My next door neighborhood has townhouses, cero lot, they have mainenance which I don't, and they are on top of each other. But some times they are bigger in sq. than my house and they have sold for 320k.

My realtor is telling me to lower my price at 368k and to offer to the realtor that brings the buyer $2000.

What is your advice?
Live it in 399k and offer to paid closing cost?
$2000 to the buyer realtor?
To go to 368k?
Does it really make a difference to lower that much?

I have a lot of traffic when I do open houses. It is like a party. I have specially 3 couples that loved my house and they say they would do an offer,(that was like 2 or 3 weeks ago). When my realtor call them they say they are working with the numbers(like to see if they can buy it). What should I do about the questions above? Thanks
Closing costs typically average about 4% of the purchase price, so this will be the same as dropping the price about $16000.00 - 383K

There's a big difference between 383 & 368 ($20,000.00) and a 2000.00 bonus to an agent.

Will your agent receive the bonus if he/she brings the buyer?

In todays up and down mortgage industry many Realtors must take the extra step to help the buyers crunch numbers as well as provide lending options that will get them to closing.

I would talk to your Realtor and look at a current CMA to see what the market shows homes like yours are selling for now - then adjust the price.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
The others are selling for 210-220 psf. Yours is listed for $248 psf. What makes your house so much better?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:04 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,825 times
Temporal, you might want to consider offerring to pay 2k or more of buyer's closing costs rather than an incentive bonus to a buyer's agent. I have an aversion to agents getting an incentive bonus when they have already agreed with the buyers what their compensation will be. Why should they get more than they have contracted for? I would also have some concerns about an agent who would "steer" a potential buyer to a house because of an incentive bonus. The DOJ is looking into this practice. Also, I have found that potential buyer's are attracted to houses that not only meet their criteria but also offer to help with closing costs.
If your house is in excellent condition, I believe a combination of lower list price, assistance with closing costs to the buyer, and an aggressive marketing and strategic pricing campaign will begin to attract qualified buyers. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
An agents job is to market a home and guide it to closing. That's it. The home must sell itself to the buyer, we can't make people look or make offers. It sounds like you may have a couple of tire-kickers rather than motivated, qualified buyers.

Lastly there are 5 equal reasons a home sells.

1-Condition (Seller controls)
2-Terms offered (Seller controls)
3-Price (Seller controls)
4-Marketing (Agent Controls)
5-Location (buyer controls-they determine value of the area)

So, 60% of the burden of selling a home falls on the seller. That being said, it's the agents job to interpret the data and discover what needs to be done to sell the home. I don't know your market, haven't seen your home or the comps, so I am not qualified to answer your question. I can tell you this though-price fixes all the other 4 reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals