Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 04:16 PM

103 posts, read 293,354 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing agents again to list my home for sale and have been advised this time to make sure I ask each agent what his/her marketing plan will be for my home. So ... How can I tell a good marketing plan from a bad one? What is included in a good marketing plan and over what time frame? What would "no marketing plan" be? I need my home to be sold quickly and just putting it on the MLS won't get the job done. I really need help in picking the right agent to get it sold! What should I look for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 04:41 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreylynn View Post
I am interviewing agents again to list my home for sale and have been advised this time to make sure I ask each agent what his/her marketing plan will be for my home. So ... How can I tell a good marketing plan from a bad one? What is included in a good marketing plan and over what time frame? What would "no marketing plan" be? I need my home to be sold quickly and just putting it on the MLS won't get the job done. I really need help in picking the right agent to get it sold! What should I look for?
Get the marketing plan in writing, and as a condition of the listing agreement.
"Property to be marketed as spelled out in the attached marketing plan." "As a condition of the listing agreement" meaning that failure to execute the plan gives you the right to terminate the listing.
Everything else is just dust in the wind.

My marketing plan is two-fold, in that it has "Immediate" ('Immediate' defined as within 48 hours) items, and ongoing items.

The plan should include any of the following that apply and are agreed to by you and the agent:
  • "For Sale" sign on the property
  • Quality photography for MLS, flyers, and other sites. If you want a professional photographer, get that in writing.
  • Virtual tour and/or video tour
  • Floor plan for MLS and brochures
  • Quality write-up on MLS, with the MLS listing forwarded to you for review.
  • Syndication on the internet, i.e., Realtor.com, Trulia, Zillow, Yahoo, and 25 to 30 other sites, minimum.
  • Single property site
  • Blog sites
  • Open houses,how often, how many.
  • Email blast marketing, if applicable. EFlyers, Listing Widget, etc.
  • Direct Mail marketing, if applicable.
  • Print marketing, if applicable
  • Use of brochures or flyers in a flyer box
  • Maintaining of feature booklets or flyers in the house, including disclosures.
Not all of those may be needed, and there may be other items that are customary in your market to make you competitive. But, it should be a list that the agent has readily available to commit to marketing your home professionally.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:54 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Totally agree with Mike.

Find out if your flyers are color flyers. How often they fill the box.
Ask about communication and how often.
Just listed postcards
Broker tours
How often will you get new comps
Staging consults
Staging rental

These are a few more marketing items you might see.

Ask to see live, right now, marketing. Look at several of their listings and photos. Read descriptions. See samples of any print advertising, flyers, virtual or video tours.

Don't just let them tell you what they will do. Make them show you.

Then get it ALL in writing.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
80% of marketing your home is setting the price. If you need to sell quickly, spend most of your time looking at the comps and coming up with a price at or slightly below the comps. Not sure your market, but slightly below here often ends up in bidding wars that end up with a higher price than if you set your price above the market value. If an agent comes in with a suggested price much higher than the others, that's probably not the one you need.

One thing I insist on is professional photography that is in the MLS on the first day of the listing. The list above is good, but your local market and type/price of house will determine the items necessary to sell.

On this forum, one of the biggest complaints we get is lack of communication. When interviewing the agent, be sure to communicate your expectations and get agreement from the agent that you get the communication you want.

Also, ask whether the agent is part of a team and think about if you are OK working with a team. The biggest agents here have teams. Sometimes that's great because someone is always available to answer your calls. Sometimes it's not so great because once you sign the listing agreement, you never hear from your agent again and you are assigned to a newbie that doesn't really know what's going on.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:51 AM

103 posts, read 293,354 times
Great information! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals