Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times

Advertisements

So much has changed about buying/selling real estate because of the internet. Some changes have been for the good and others the bad. I have to say currently one of the worst things about real estate on the internet must be Zillow. How many times do I have to educate people about the wild innaccuracy of the "Zetimate?" How often do I really need to fight with them because I get angry calls from buyers who have just purchased a home stating they still see it for sale on Zillow? Also, like an idiot who keeps tasting a glass of milk to see if it is sour, I keep wandering onto the Zillow "advice" section. The "know it alls" that wander Zillow pig pile on anyone who might even have the appearance of a differing opnion. I can't believe how much I loathe this site.

If you hate Zillow, share your thoughts on why this site is so HORRIBLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:28 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
So much has changed about buying/selling real estate because of the internet. Some changes have been for the good and others the bad. I have to say currently one of the worst things about real estate on the internet must be Zillow. How many times do I have to educate people about the wild innaccuracy of the "Zetimate?" How often do I really need to fight with them because I get angry calls from buyers who have just purchased a home stating they still see it for sale on Zillow? Also, like an idiot who keeps tasting a glass of milk to see if it is sour, I keep wandering onto the Zillow "advice" section. The "know it alls" that wander Zillow pig pile on anyone who might even have the appearance of a differing opnion. I can't believe how much I loathe this site.

If you hate Zillow, share your thoughts on why this site is so HORRIBLE.

Amen Mike ! all those who don't trust Realtors, turn to Zillow for "expert" advice. And the FSBO's use it to do their own "comps". As to "why" it is so horrible, it is simply not accurate, it is usually outdated, and only works for the naieve or the know it alls, (and their relatives who operate on rumor such as, what the neighbor's homes are selling for). LOL !

Old 01-28-2012, 07:06 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Amen Mike ! all those who don't trust Realtors, turn to Zillow for "expert" advice. And the FSBO's use it to do their own "comps". As to "why" it is so horrible, it is simply not accurate, it is usually outdated, and only works for the naieve or the know it alls, (and their relatives who operate on rumor such as, what the neighbor's homes are selling for). LOL !
The thing that drives me most crazy about all the so called "experts" that troll around in the Zillow advice section is that none of them seem to acknowledge regional differences. If the market sucks where they are how could it possibly be OK someplace else? If a pool adds value where they are how could it possibly be construed as a negative someplace else? There are just so many angry, bitter, and disenfranchised people in the advice section and they just mock and shout anyone down who doesn't agree with them.

Then there's the Zestimate! How many times has person come up to me and said "Zillow says my house is worth $X.XX" and I have to explain to them why that's wrong. My usual reaction is "How does Zillow know what your house is worth? Have they been inside it to see its condition?" Do you know in my area Zillow's Zestimate is only within 20% of the market value 80% of the time (also only within 5% accuracy 64% of the time)? No one would hire me or believe me if I were more than 20% off on my market value estimates so often.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:41 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
In Texas, it's easy to stop a Zillow conversation in its tracks by just saying to a buyer or seller that Texas is a non-disclosure state and Zillow doesn't have access to sales data. That usually gets an "oohhhh, I see." I tell people that Zillow is for entertainment purposes only.

As for the advice people give, it's obnoxious. So much of it is just plain wrong, and I don't see the need to chime in with correct information as it could be seen as causing conflict.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:55 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
Get this - I am the Buyer's Agent on a property that I just got under contract. When I ran my numbers, the house was way overpriced. I asked the Listing Agent for comparables and he sent me "sales data" from Zillow

His comps didn't even use the same school districts to compare apples to apples. He used the neighboring school district which changed the price per square foot sales price by $20 in his favor When my Buyers made their offer, I sent my comps in too.

The Listing Agent also countered verbally changing the price but when he sent me back the offer marked up with the changes - he didn't change the price

Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
I don't hate Zillow. There's good, bad and ugly advise on any topic, all over the net.

Zillow creates an incremental opportunity to educate consumers. Just because one publishes something does not make it relevant or accurate.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:28 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
"Hate" is such an ugly word.
I mean, it isn't like we are talking about FaceBook or similar drek....

It is an educational opportunity.
And you can go broke trying to educate pop culture aficianados, like Zillow fans.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
What is the best way for someone such as myself who is looking to buy a house in the 6 to 8 months to search them inventory easily is Zillow is so bad? We use that and the app from Realtor.com to see houses on the market in Northern Idaho.
I like them because I am put in our price range and bed/bath requirements and the generall area we want to be in and it brings up all the houses there.
Any suggestions?

Old 01-28-2012, 06:04 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
What is the best way for someone such as myself who is looking to buy a house in the 6 to 8 months to search them inventory easily is Zillow is so bad? We use that and the app from Realtor.com to see houses on the market in Northern Idaho.
I like them because I am put in our price range and bed/bath requirements and the generall area we want to be in and it brings up all the houses there.
Any suggestions?
Realtor.com is better than Zillow because it is accurate. Just clunky.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:10 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
I am completely neutral towards Zillow. It isn't Zillow's fault that agents act like dolts on their forums. That's a brokerage problem. While I've had clients bring up Zestimates they have never questioned by knowledge over Zillow. I have more data. I've also had people call me about homes for sale on Zillow, but they are never angry. I explain how feeds work and why their data is outdated. I tell them where to look for accurate data.

I don't get the angst over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals