Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 03:46 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the stats Magellan! I will look into those links later this evening!

That info was VERY helpful!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 04:28 PM

11 posts, read 27,284 times
Wcat thank you for the info, I was thinking about it because the money just seat in the bank, What i can accept to receive on a house that worth 120K to 140K? and what will be left from it after paying all the tax, including the yearly property tax?

I will really appreciate your answer as i have no clue on the subject.

Thanks in asdvance,

Old 11-03-2007, 08:11 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Hi wCat - I'm an agent in Round Rock (just north of Austin).

We are going through the annual slowdown, and although I don't think the subprime/mortgage shake-ups have affected us that much, I think we're in a wait-and-see time. The perception of what's going on has had an impact, IMHO. It's definitely on everyone's mind. Folks visiting open houses usually have a comment or a question about it.

The closest indication of mortgage problems I see are the listings for homes that are less than three years old and are over $200K. On the other hand, I'm seeing 'starter' home sales chugging along rather well. Overall, it's not a bad picture. We're in a buyer's market IMHO, but not another tech bust by any means.

If you need a stat, feel free to PM me.
Why do most realtors have to "massage" the numbers so to speak? If your market is drying up, admit it! Jeez, this drives me nuts. (I already know the answerto that question...its just frustrating to hear the BS propaganda over and over)

I'm curious to hear what "stats" you promote disputing the high inventory and weak sales #'s YOY?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:13 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Why do most realtors have to "massage" the numbers so to speak? If your market is drying up, admit it! Jeez, this drives me nuts. (I already know the answerto that question...its just frustrating to hear the BS propaganda over and over)

I'm curious to hear what "stats" you promote disputing the high inventory and weak sales #'s YOY?
Yeah, look at those Houston numbers. There are twice as many homes on the market today than there were in early 2002. And it looks like their peak sales was June 06.

Houston Housing Sales, Prices and Listings

Why do I keep hearing that Houston is one of the few "bright spots" for housing markets in the U.S.?

Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times
Quote:

BS propaganda? Excuse me? I clearly said I think this is a wait-and-see time. If I felt the market was 'drying up,' I would have no problem whatsoever in saying that - especially when someone's livelihood could be affected.

As I said before, I see some areas doing well (much better than I would have expected), and others not so well. Furthermore, I have access to the MLS in central Texas, and I'm not going to post 'sold' data on a public forum, thank you very much. Texas is a non-disclosure state, so doing that would be illegal.

Don't question my integrity because I'm making an effort to be helpful and follow the rules. I haven't earned that crap.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
BS propaganda? Excuse me? I clearly said I think this is a wait-and-see time. If I felt the market was 'drying up,' I would have no problem whatsoever in saying that - especially when someone's livelihood could be affected.

As I said before, I see some areas doing well (much better than I would have expected), and others not so well. Furthermore, I have access to the MLS in central Texas, and I'm not going to post 'sold' data on a public forum, thank you very much. Texas is a non-disclosure state, so doing that would be illegal.

Don't question my integrity because I'm making an effort to be helpful and follow the rules. I haven't earned that crap.
I believe the "non-disclosure" refers to individual homes sales, not sales and inventory statistics for a Texas metro area.

Texas A&M's Real Estate department (which I would hope they understand the state laws) doesn't seem to have a problem doing it.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
[quote=mrsengle;1914221]
Furthermore, I have access to the MLS in central Texas, and I'm not going to post 'sold' data on a public forum, thank you very much. Texas is a non-disclosure state, so doing that would be illegal.

QUOTE]

That's BS. You can go to any local realtor association and pull up sold & inventory history...its public information.

You are either ill-informed about this issue or didn't communicate your post properly.

Anyway, the #'s don't lie as Magellan showed...

Old 11-05-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
That's BS. You can go to any local realtor association and pull up sold & inventory history...its public information.

You are either ill-informed about this issue or didn't communicate your post properly.

Anyway, the #'s don't lie as Magellan showed...
Hmmm. I went to the Austin Board of Realtors, and I couldn't pull up the stats without a password. I checked with the Williamson County Association of Realtors, and their public link goes to the NAR stats.

Nevertheless, the stats from the Real Estate Center don't discuss ADOM/CDOM, and they don't give (at least) an average of list price v. sales price. Days on market and the differential of list/sales price are, I think, rather important to understand the big picture. They didn't break up the data by price (i.e., $150 - $200, $201 - $250, etc.). Another important part of the bigger picture. Now, break those up into different MLS areas, and things can look way different. Furthermore, when I run comps, I take out the outliers.

'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.' -Mark Twain

Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I believe the "non-disclosure" refers to individual homes sales, not sales and inventory statistics for a Texas metro area.

Texas A&M's Real Estate department (which I would hope they understand the state laws) doesn't seem to have a problem doing it.
Where did they do it? I don't see any price differentials given on sold data.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Where did they do it? I don't see any price differentials given on sold data.
The links I keep providing here:

Texas Residential MLS Housing Activity

No one is asking for price differentials, comps, or anything else like that. Here is wcat's original post:

Quote:
I'm in central Texas and I hear daily about this downturn in the real estate market here.....but the agents I know personally say it's a bunch of baloney.
What is the real story? This is typically a slow time of year for real estate in Texas, but has this sub prime shake up and mortgage problems really hurt sales that much more? or are realtor here just trying to keep positive and say it's a temporary thing.
She asked how the general real estate industry in that area is doing. As much as you try to spin it and quote Mark Twain (which that quote is used ad nauseum), it doesn't change the facts that sales are down and inventory is up. It also lists "months of inventory", which is pretty similar to average days on the market. But you're right, months of inventory might be off because it doesn't take into account all the people who bail out of the market and let their listings expire or cancel their listings.

I'm saying that Texas A&M has posted sales data, which you are saying is illegal because you are a non-disclosure state. A simple google search of the definition of a "non-disclosure" state tells me that it has nothing to do with posting overrall sales data. It has to do with how individual sales are recorded at the county level, and that the information is not publicly record like most other states.

Texas, IRED (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:QassgCUzhUQJ:www.ired.com/usa/tx/general.htm+texas+non-disclosure+state&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us - broken link)
Why is Texas a Non Disclosure State? Other than benefiting the realtors, wht benefit does this have for me? - Trulia Voices

Maybe it means that Texas realtors aren't allowed to post on a public forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals