Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 5,501 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses. It is interesting to me that not one of them addressed the fact that she texted, emailed, and verbally told me that she had two written offers for me. That to me seems like the ethics violation. She obviously didn't have those offers. She LIED. I have bought and sold about six properties over my time thus far, and some were with agents and some with just a handshake. In all cases no one lied, let alone documented the lie in a text and an email. From all your responses basically blaming me for not having the written contract, which at the end of the day is the only legally binding one, it seems that lies and deceit, are just part of the job. I'm not that put out on my time or money as I knew it was not a done deal. Just pissed that it is ok to not only lie, but document that lie in text and email and have no responsibility for it. I guess I'm just naïve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:16 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
How do you know the agent lied? You don't know what transpired on their end. They might have had offers written up and ready to go, then decided not to follow-thru. I'm not saying it was right or professional but you asked for opinions and seem to be upset with the answers. Also, for what it is worth, not all agents are Realtors so not all agents are subject to a code of ethics.

Find out if the agent is a member of the local board and, if so, contact them and ask them about it.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:24 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclark050 View Post
The agent texted me a couple times that week saying that they were ready to present me two different written options.
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. It is interesting to me that not one of them addressed the fact that she texted, emailed, and verbally told me that she had two written offers for me.
From what you wrote, it wasn't clear whether she had offers in hand or if she was just relaying that her clients were "ready" to submit written offers. Big difference. If she actually had offers in hand, they should have been presented to you.

Still, it's impossible to know what transpired between the agent and her clients. That's why I focused on the missed appointment. That seemed to be the most telling sign that the agent might be ethically-challenged.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. It is interesting to me that not one of them addressed the fact that she texted, emailed, and verbally told me that she had two written offers for me. That to me seems like the ethics violation. She obviously didn't have those offers. She LIED. I have bought and sold about six properties over my time thus far, and some were with agents and some with just a handshake. In all cases no one lied, let alone documented the lie in a text and an email. From all your responses basically blaming me for not having the written contract, which at the end of the day is the only legally binding one, it seems that lies and deceit, are just part of the job. I'm not that put out on my time or money as I knew it was not a done deal. Just pissed that it is ok to not only lie, but document that lie in text and email and have no responsibility for it. I guess I'm just naïve.
She very well could have had written offers but her buyers, realizing that you could be manipulated, told her not to submit them and told her to submit a lower offer. Since you never signed the first offers there was nothing at all wrong with what was done.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:38 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakin View Post
the agent ethics is to be truthful and honest in their dealings with all parties.
If you can prove they outright lied, you might have a good complaint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark050 View Post
thanks for the responses. It is interesting to me that not one of them addressed the fact that she texted, emailed, and verbally told me that she had two written offers for me. That to me seems like the ethics violation. She obviously didn't have those offers. She lied.
ok...... So why did you not say "send me those written offers " ???

See my post above.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:40 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I say avoid the agent in the future, by all means.
Promising an offer and dropping off the planet is too common and rather stupid.

Oh, yeah. Fire the accountant who goosed you for a grand without having a contract to refer to.
And, 2nd thoughts on an attorney who should have only said, "Let's see the contract," before "wasting time."

It is a cavalcade of fools, with an OP who got caught up in the net, unfortunately.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Also, for what it is worth, not all agents are Realtors so not all agents are subject to a code of ethics.
ALL real estate agents should adhere to high ethical standards--whether or not they choose to pay to have the trademarked "Realtor" name associated with them. Some of the most dishonest agents I have known have been Realtors, so merely having a "code of ethics" is not the answer. The issue of ethics goes much deeper--it is either a fundamental part of someone's character or it's not. I don't think I've ever met anyone who magically "found" ethics once they got their license.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
I get an offer on a listing about $50K below list. Owner counters about $10K below list. Buyer's agent calls and says he might get the buyer up $5K more but that is it. i tell him I would not bother if I were he.

I don't have any problem going round and round by email and telephone. I also don't take any of it seriously until written documents with signatures are in hand.

The agents written offer may even be metaphorical. This is a dicker hopefully leading to a conclusion - real offers are in writing. And they generally are not worth a whole lot up front with all the stuff built in. .

Not showing up on a 10 minute out appointment is also very rude...but not unethical. At the least she should have called it off. Again though no ethics involved.

YOu might complain to her broker about her lack of couth...but that is about it.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:51 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
The issue for me is can a realtor text an offer and then back out of it?
Also, to answer this question...

The Buyer or Seller can back out of offers and counter offers at anytime.
The Realtor did not back out, the Buyer walked on this deal.

The agent should have done a more professional job communicating with you that they were walking
and even sent an email with an official "Withdrawal of Offer".

YOU and the Buyer could kill the deal at anytime until the contract was signed.
Even after you had a contract the Buyer normally has 2-3 "Outs" where they can walk on the deal
such as an inspection period.

You acted in haste spending your money.
But yes, you might have a complaint if you can prove someone "Lied".

Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
I'm afraid in CA all offers for real estate must be in writing and accompanied with an Earnest Money deposit.

Having said that, I've also done a few "I have a client that is interested in your property. Would you have a number that you would consider?" phone calls. If it looks like something might transpire, it gets put on paper.

You might contact the agent's broker and lay out your complaint. If I had an agent that did that, they would be looking for another place to hang their license pretty darn quickly.

In response to jackmichigan, I totally agree with the Realtor "ethic" comments. It's one of the many reasons I dropped out of the Realtor organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals