Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,780 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

I joined Lyons Real Estate in Sacramento CA, and I'm not sure if I'm getting over charged for my fees.

Any suggestions would be helpful, I attachment some of Lyon's monthly fees

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
New agent getting overcharged with fees?-fee.jpg   New agent getting overcharged with fees?-fee-2.jpg   New agent getting overcharged with fees?-commission-split-lyon.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:39 AM

115 posts, read 368,955 times
I have no idea what's a legit fee as I'm not a re agent but that sounds like it sucks to pay all those. Some of them seem hokey-$300 printer? Do you have to buy it from them or is that just a list of estimates?

The commission split on the last page doesn't seem very clear

Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
I have no idea what's a legit fee as I'm not a re agent but that sounds like it sucks to pay all those. Some of them seem hokey-$300 printer? Do you have to buy it from them or is that just a list of estimates?

The commission split on the last page doesn't seem very clear
Actually, the fees seem fairly clear and fairly common to me.

I appreciate that the agency is noting a list of expenses that a beginner may experience, like printer, laptop, etc. Yes, I would expect those to be out of pocket expenses.
Many people go into real estate without considering additional expenses and are surprised that they have to reach into their pockets to fund their business.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
I work at Lyon (not Lyons) now. Most of the fees shown are their estimation of what you will need to spend, and are not charged by Lyon. MLS, CAR, and expenses to get started. E&O insurance is required and paid to Lyon.

As a new agent, you are required to have a mentor and pay that mentor for your first 4 transactions. Some are better than others and if you don't feel that your mentor is providing the value that you are paying for, go to the office manager/broker and ask for a different mentor or additional help. The mentor should be helping you both with the technical/legal side of things and the marketing/prospecting side of the business.

The fee structure is pretty good for a new agent since very little is required to pay to Lyon once you get started if you don't have any transactions ($100/mo). The split isn't bad but not great, but once you get your business going the split gets better and better.

I have found Lyon to be a great place to work, very supportive and friendly atmosphere, and great for training when I was new. Good luck with your new venture.

FYI - you can buy a printer and laptop, but all the offices have work rooms with printers (free printing) and computers you can use. I recommend that you as a new agent spend a lot of time in the workroom rather than at home or a desk, because it helps you meet the other agents and you can hear the discussions about the market that will help you in your business.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:26 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Actually, the fees seem fairly clear and fairly common to me.

I appreciate that the agency is noting a list of expenses that a beginner may experience, like printer, laptop, etc. Yes, I would expect those to be out of pocket expenses.
Many people go into real estate without considering additional expenses and are surprised that they have to reach into their pockets to fund their business.
I agree. They seem pretty normal. Not sure what that risk management fee is, as I haven't heard a fee called that before.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
Risk Management = Errors and Omissions Insurance.

Funny how everyone wants to use euphemisms when it comes to insurance.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:24 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I work at Lyon (not Lyons) now. Most of the fees shown are their estimation of what you will need to spend, and are not charged by Lyon. MLS, CAR, and expenses to get started. E&O insurance is required and paid to Lyon.

As a new agent, you are required to have a mentor and pay that mentor for your first 4 transactions. Some are better than others and if you don't feel that your mentor is providing the value that you are paying for, go to the office manager/broker and ask for a different mentor or additional help. The mentor should be helping you both with the technical/legal side of things and the marketing/prospecting side of the business.

The fee structure is pretty good for a new agent since very little is required to pay to Lyon once you get started if you don't have any transactions ($100/mo). The split isn't bad but not great, but once you get your business going the split gets better and better.

I have found Lyon to be a great place to work, very supportive and friendly atmosphere, and great for training when I was new. Good luck with your new venture.

FYI - you can buy a printer and laptop, but all the offices have work rooms with printers (free printing) and computers you can use. I recommend that you as a new agent spend a lot of time in the workroom rather than at home or a desk, because it helps you meet the other agents and you can hear the discussions about the market that will help you in your business.
I like this program! Sounds like a firm that builds great professionals from gen-you-wine rookies. I applaud this approach. To the OP, if you can get this education and get paid, you would be a fool to go anywhere else, at least to start.

Wow! I do like this. We do a very good job with rookies, but I just may add some of these ideas to our mix.

As a brand, I love the balloon, and find that with certain local exceptions, it's always a winner for professionals, but this firm is doing local extremely well.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
As a brand, I love the balloon, and find that with certain local exceptions, it's always a winner for professionals, but this firm is doing local extremely well.
Well, as an independent, we are the #1 firm in the greater Sacramento area based on $$ and volume.
OP, you picked a great place to begin your career.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Risk Management = Errors and Omissions Insurance.

Funny how everyone wants to use euphemisms when it comes to insurance.
Wow. That's really high from my perspective, but CA is much more litigious than we are here.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Wow. That's really high from my perspective, but CA is much more litigious than we are here.

Yes, yes we are.

But Lyon also pays any deductible as long as we meet our checklist of items needed in an escrow (or have our very helpful transaction coordinators do it for us).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals