Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Well, as an independent, we are the #1 firm in the greater Sacramento area based on $$ and volume.
OP, you picked a great place to begin your career.
Nina,

Here in Louisville, the largest single broker office has approximately 450 agents. There are somewhere close to 400 RE/MAX agents in the MLS but separated by amongst 14 brokers. The independent (actually a Berkshire Hathaway firm) claims to have the highest $$ and volume, which it does simply due to its size and single brokerage model, but if combined by brand, the 400 balloon flyers average more than twice as many transactions and volume as the big boy and they are in second place.

My point is not to sell balloons but rather to caution terms such as KW uses when they say "Largest Real Estate Company in the US." www.kw.com/kw/newsroom.html‎

Now, on the praise side of things. The www.golyon.com is one super-website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:13 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Wow. That's really high from my perspective, but CA is much more litigious than we are here.
I'm on Long Island and cost for E&O insurance varies greatly among brokers. That can be the result of who the carrier is, the maximum coverage per transaction or annual/lifetime limit, as well as the amount of the deductible.
I've paid as much as $500/yr (previous broker) and am currently paying $129/yr .
Oh and yes, we are very litigious here too...

Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Nina,

Here in Louisville, the largest single broker office has approximately 450 agents. There are somewhere close to 400 RE/MAX agents in the MLS but separated by amongst 14 brokers. The independent (actually a Berkshire Hathaway firm) claims to have the highest $$ and volume, which it does simply due to its size and single brokerage model, but if combined by brand, the 400 balloon flyers average more than twice as many transactions and volume as the big boy and they are in second place.

My point is not to sell balloons but rather to caution terms such as KW uses when they say "Largest Real Estate Company in the US." www.kw.com/kw/newsroom.html‎

Now, on the praise side of things. The www.golyon.com is one super-website.
We look at market share based on the brand (all balloons included) and not the individual broker. But I also know how easy it is to lie with statistics!

My point was more around the fact that though independent, we have a large local presence and are not a mom and pop shop missing the infrastructure and training that are so helpful for new agents to thrive. Many newbies are told to look at national brands, but there are large local independents in many markets that can provide the same benefits as the big ones.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
We look at market share based on the brand (all balloons included) and not the individual broker. But I also know how easy it is to lie with statistics!

My point was more around the fact that though independent, we have a large local presence and are not a mom and pop shop missing the infrastructure and training that are so helpful for new agents to thrive. Many newbies are told to look at national brands, but there are large local independents in many markets that can provide the same benefits as the big ones.
An excellent reply post. Simply excellent!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:20 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
I'm with you as far as choosing one of the National Independents. With over 1500 agents in North TX we can provide as much or more as the Franchises.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'm with you as far as choosing one of the National Independents. With over 1500 agents in North TX we can provide as much or more as the Franchises.
Yes, an independent can do lots, but one thing they can't. They don't have the name recognition that national franchise agents can.

One other point... at what price? Many of our agents sell $4-5million with an effective 90-95% true split of Gross Commission Income.

It takes lots of different aspects to determine the best value firm to be affiliated with.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,420 times
Some of those fees seem ridiculously high to me, but I'm in the DC Metro area. If you don't like the fees, stay with the brokerage long enough to get some experience under your belt, then leave. No matter where you go as a new agent, you WILL pay more than seasoned agents because you're a bigger risk.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:11 AM

768 posts, read 859,911 times
I was a realtor for over 25 years. Those are pretty standard fees when you go into the business. Look at it as if you are investing in your own business...yourself. If you can't invest in yourself, who can? No one goes into business without some type of investment. And a part of your proceeds (commissions) will also be paid to them. I was a 100% realtor, so my monthly fees approximated about $5000....my cost of doing business. Real estate is no different than any other business and should not be...along with it comes the code of ethics, which more businesses should have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals